• Charles Cross OT MSU

Votes: 21 27.3%
  • Nakobe Dean MLB Georgia

Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Matt Corral QB Ole Miss

Votes: 4 5.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's fair to decide whether a group needs such immediate help that veterans are the way to go but you talked about "unless there are changes to staff," and "too poor a situation," and all that just strikes me as Dolphins fan pessimism bleeding into the personnel decision-making in ways that aren't realistic in the NFL. If they don't think you have the staff in place that can tutor a rookie then you'll get a new staff. It's not how NFL people think

I think you're misunderstanding what I said. We have an inexperienced OL coach, this is his first gig. We have run with a starting OL with nobody who'd played more than 16 NFL games, plus Jesse Davis as the only vet. Charles Cross might need some time to develop, like your guy Radunz. It's not unusual. Even Terron Armstead sat behind a vet for most of his rookie year.

We haven't given Jackson or Eichenberg luxury of having experience round them. I'd worry for any tackle if we don't address that.

Obviously, everything changes if Miami replaces Flores. But that probably won't happen.

Would be nice to add some vets to the offensive line in free agency, but who knows if there will be quality offensive linemen available. Usually, it's players coming off an injury, older vets with maybe a year left, or young players who haven't proven themselves yet.

Meaning the Dolphins will have to draft their way out of this mess.

Last edited:
Obviously, everything changes if Miami replaces Flores. But that probably won't happen.

Would be nice to add some vets to the offensive line in free agency, but who knows if there will be quality offensive linemen available. Usually, it's players coming off an injury, older vets with maybe a year left, or young players who haven't proven themselves yet.

Meanind the Dolphins will have to draft their way out of this mess.
If we fire Grier and Flores, we could pay for average talent in free agency and see a huge uptick in offensive line production. That's given we get an average oline coach. We are looking to have an average to slightly below average oline. Can you imagine if we just went from dumpster fire (where we currently are) to slightly below average? It would be a momentum change to this offense.

If we fire Grier and Flores, we could pay for average talent in free agency and see a huge uptick in offensive line production. That's given we get an average oline coach. We are looking to have an average to slightly below average oline. Can you imagine if we just went from dumpster fire (where we currently are) to slightly below average? It would be a momentum change to this offense.
I'm hoping for a change and the play of the offensive line is a prime reason. If Flores is kept, absolutely have to get an experienced offensive line coach.

I'm actually hoping for an entirely new coaching staff.

I still think there are a few keepers on the offensive line, but the regression of the entire unit speaks to coaching.

Well Tre Williams is somewhere in my 15-20 range among my Senior DE's - I have him around #16 right now. He's a very experienced 5th year Senior and has played a lot of games in the SEC throughout his career, so he certainly has a plan each and every week for whatever offensive tackle he's facing. He played for 4 years at Missouri before he transferred to Arkansas. Only problem is he's kinda trapped in noman's land there somewhere between a DE and an outside linebacker. He's not athletic enough or fast enough to really flourish as an OLB - not big enough to really hold up as a full time DE at the next level. Although I believe he can play for a while in the NFL as a nickel or sub rusher. Backup type player in the right scheme.

I feel like your analysis lines up with what I saw for the most part. Williams made some plays against Cross in the first half of that game, but Cross adjusted. We'll get to see him try to take on Evan Neal in 2 weeks. He'll certainly need a plan for that matchup. The rest of the offensive line is where the trouble has been for Alabama. Particularly at RT where Chris Owens plays. He's not really even a tackle, he's just a 6th year backup Center type....but he knows the scheme so he plays. Program guy. Not many are particularly happy with that development this season.

I'd look for Barry Odom to move Williams to the other side some and try to get him matched up on Owens.

Yeah that strikes me as the best "plan" Williams could have, go up against the other guy instead of Neal.

OTOH I'd have expected the same going against Cross and Mississippi State. So yeah I'll definitely be watching that one. Thanks for the reference.

I think you're misunderstanding what I said. We have an inexperienced OL coach, this is his first gig. We have run with a starting OL with nobody who'd played more than 16 NFL games, plus Jesse Davis as the only vet. Charles Cross might need some time to develop, like your guy Radunz. It's not unusual. Even Terron Armstead sat behind a vet for most of his rookie year.

We haven't given Jackson or Eichenberg luxury of having experience round them. I'd worry for any tackle if we don't address that.

Again, if the Dolphins ever thought they were going to be making the decision to not draft offensive linemen because they have an inexperienced offensive line coach, they wouldn't have hired the inexperienced offensive line coach. Or they'd fire him and replace him with someone else. This is what I think you're still not quite getting, no offense. As for the makeup on the roster with leadership and such, I just don't think that's going to bleed into the draft priorities. It's going to be about who is available in free agency, how those players fit from both systems and personality standpoints, whether those players will even entertain an offer from Miami, and then also what is available in the draft and how they fit from both systems and personality standpoints. That's how the overall strategy will be cobbled together. It won't be based on, "Well we don't think Lemuel Jeanpierre is ready to coach rookies," or "Well we don't have much veteran leadership so we worry about getting a rookie right now."

• MIA

Ikem Ekwonu
    OG North Carolina State
    trade icon
  • MIA

Breece Hall
    RB Iowa State

• MIA

Jarrett Patterson
    OC Notre Dame
    • MIA

Ikem Ekwonu
      OG North Carolina State
      trade icon
    • MIA

Breece Hall
      RB Iowa State

• MIA

Jarrett Patterson
      OC Notre Dame
      trade icon

Darian Kinnard
    OT Kentucky
    trade icon
    Brandon Smith
    LB Penn State

Tyreke Smith
    EDGE Ohio State

Chris Autman-Bell
    WR Minnesota

George Pickens
    WR Georgia

I'd take Karlaftis, DE Purdue.

We need good players at every position. I would not reach. No more Austin Jackson's or Igohnobinhe, or whatever the hell is name is.

I'm hoping for a change and the play of the offensive line is a prime reason. If Flores is kept, absolutely have to get an experienced offensive line coach.

I'm actually hoping for an entirely new coaching staff.

I still think there are a few keepers on the offensive line, but the regression of the entire unit speaks to coaching.
I agree.

Again, if the Dolphins ever thought they were going to be making the decision to not draft offensive linemen because they have an inexperienced offensive line coach, they wouldn't have hired the inexperienced offensive line coach. Or they'd fire him and replace him with someone else.

I'm not disputing that. I'm saying I worry for Charles Cross if we draft him with the same inexperienced coaching group around him. It's an opinion on the outcome of the process, that's all.

I voted Nakobe Dean. We haven't had true inside talent since Dansby and Zach. Enough with drafting high picks on the line. Add quality experienced vets at the book-end tackle spots.

Yes we need tackles, but I think it's past time to bring in 2 quality veteran tackles. I would be content with over$pending on Armstead, $20M+. Ja'Waun James, a year off recovering from the Broncos shaft, would change this line immensely. James would be a cap gamble. 12 per should work. Line would be changed. Position coaching changes need to be made first and foremost after the seasons completion.

Eich cannot play tackle with those heavy feet. That isn't a knock on him,, but a reality, he will do well in the phonebooth due to his limited footwork ability. He was a LG day one for a reason. I thought he played it very well minus the trip in preseason that looked awful gettingpancaked into Tua. Of course after half the season we have memories of too many bad play results from Eich's AOR. He is sadly so out of position. I hope he isn't ruined due to the teams necessities....but that's the way it goes.

This Reiter guy seems competent and tough. I would love to see Kindley go to center considering he is the 2nd worst pass blocking guard I've ever seen. Dallas will always take the cake. Poor little Dallas Thomas and Jonathan Martin pair, ugh. Sorry about that, it's just my ptsd. 😆 Hunt is our most talented and most physically talented lineman playing the position generally given to the least athletic guys. When we get veterans with Hunt and Eich on the inside we will pass protect efficiently providing the "pocket" for our pocket passer.

The team will be completely changed with veteran leadership on our offensive line.

I voted Nakobe Dean. We haven't had true inside talent since Dansby and Zach. Enough with drafting high picks on the line. Add quality experienced vets at the book-end tackle spots.

Yes we need tackles, but I think it's past time to bring in 2 quality veteran tackles. I would be content with over$pending on Armstead, $20M+. Ja'Waun James, a year off recovering from the Broncos shaft, would change this line immensely. James would be a cap gamble. 12 per should work. Line would be changed. Position coaching changes need to be made first and foremost after the seasons completion.

Eich cannot play tackle with those heavy feet. That isn't a knock on him,, but a reality, he will do well in the phonebooth due to his limited footwork ability. He was a LG day one for a reason. I thought he played it very well minus the trip in preseason that looked awful gettingpancaked into Tua. Of course after half the season we have memories of too many bad play results from Eich's AOR. He is sadly so out of position. I hope he isn't ruined due to the teams necessities....but that's the way it goes.

This Reiter guy seems competent and tough. I would love to see Kindley go to center considering he is the 2nd worst pass blocking guard I've ever seen. Dallas will always take the cake. Poor little Dallas Thomas and Jonathan Martin pair, ugh. Sorry about that, it's just my ptsd. 😆 Hunt is our most talented and most physically talented lineman playing the position generally given to the least athletic guys. When we get veterans with Hunt and Eich on the inside we will pass protect efficiently providing the "pocket" for our pocket passer.

The team will be completely changed with veteran leadership on our offensive line.
Agree with you on spending on the oline. If Tua is to really have a chance to prove himself he needs a much better line

Back
Top Bottom