First Rounder Research | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

First Rounder Research

jmorgan6977

Puck the Fats
Reaction score
Here is a little research on what it takes to turn your first round into a superbowl contender.

Year Seattle Pittsburgh Indi
05 Spencer C Miller TE Jackson DC
04 Tubbs DT Roeth QB Clark TE
03 Trufant CB Pola SS Freeney DE
02 Stevens TE Simmons OG Wayne WR
01 Robinson WR Hampton DT Morris LB
01 Hutchinson OG
00 Alexander RB Burress WR James RB

Then to go on for indi add Manning, Tarik Glenn and Harrison to the three years prior. Now look at ours.

2005 2(2)RONNIE BROWN RB AUBURN
2004 19(19)VERNON CAREY OG MIAMI (FLA.)
2001 26(26)JAMAR FLETCHER CB WISCONSIN
1998 29(29)JOHN AVERY RB MISSISSIPPI
199715(15)YATIL GREEN WR MIAMI (FLA.)
1996 20(20)DARYL GARDENER DT BAYLOR
1995 25(25)BILLY MILNER OT HOUSTON
1994 20(20)TIM BOWENS DT MISSISSIPPI
1993 25(25)O.J. MCDUFFIE WR PENN STATE
1992 7(7)TROY VINCENT DB WISCONSIN
1992 12(12)MARCO COLEMAN LB GEORGIA TECH
1991 23(23)RANDAL HILLWRMIAMI (FLA.)

Now if you do the math it takes five great drafts to be a serious contender we did not even have a first in 02 or 03 let alone years prior. Not saying that the first round tells all but if you look at pitt seattle and indi most of those players play huge rolls and are stars. Granted we had a decent draft in other rounds lat year but unless we have a miracle offseason with FA's and amazing coaching I don't see us being serious contenders for three more years. A big reason not to trade a draft pick ever again. Ronnie should be a star next year and hopefully Carey. It still doesnt compare to the others. What do you guys think? And don't be unrealistic homers like favre and T.O. and law are coming to save the day

jmorgan6977 said:
Here is a little research on what it takes to turn your first round into a superbowl contender.

01 Hutchinson OG

Then to go on for indi add Manning, Tarik Glenn and Harrison to the three years prior. Now look at ours.

Now if you do the math it takes five great drafts to be a serious contender we did not even have a first in 02 or 03 let alone years prior. Not saying that the first round tells all but if you look at pitt seattle and indi most of those players play huge rolls and are stars. Granted we had a decent draft in other rounds lat year but unless we have a miracle offseason with FA's and amazing coaching I don't see us being serious contenders for three more years. A big reason not to trade a draft pick ever again. Ronnie should be a star next year and hopefully Carey. It still doesnt compare to the others. What do you guys think? And don't be unrealistic homers like favre and T.O. and law are coming to save the day

Good post. It definately shows the tendencies this team has had in the recent past, and why it all came to a head year before last. I feel pretty good that the ship is right again.

nice research! I wonder in 5 years how the draft success between the teams you research will compare. I think Saban will hold his own and we will start to see cornerstones of the franchise being put in place similar to Indy an
d Pit.....

Great post and great points. However, the one thing you are missing is late round players too. If you are only filling your team with 1st and 2nd rounders, then yeah, it will take 5+ years of good drafts. However, if you look at how many contributors we got out of last years draft... and think if we get that many again this year... We will be pretty close to the same number of good players.

So while I agree for most teams it takes 5+ years of good drafting and good cap management. I think it can be done with less. Look at NE a lot of their contributing players were taken in rounds other than the 1st.

jmorgan6977 said:

01 Hutchinson OG

Interesting, although I'm not sure the same analysis would hold up about the 2003 Panthers.

Wow I like this post. Something to really think about. But don't forget the other 6 rounds of the draft, some really great players have come from second day picks. Also don't forget FAs. Great post. The whole Ricky deal killed us for 1st round picks for those few years

jmorgan6977 said:

01 Hutchinson OG

You see #12 in your pic? thats what it takes. a 6th round steal at QB.

Back
Top Bottom