Fitz is fun to watch but its time for Tua | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fitz is fun to watch but its time for Tua

Tua will not play this year unless Fitz gets injured. I think they are more scared of the hip than they let on and want his first contact to be down the road. I also think they are willing to let the chips fall where they may and they will play him next week if needed if RF goes down. Like a "we wont play him if we do not need to."

Just curious if anybody has a take on this ...

Aren't the skill positions still in a learning phase?

Will the offense be very different when Tua plays?

I think it's smart to let the team come together (not just the o-line) especially because the team has been, at least, competitive ... giving these routes reps to improve should go a long way when Tua comes in with another level of speed and accuracy ... without TC and pre-season on a team that replaced a few pieces it seems like the smart move ... get the consistency/continuity down to an acceptable level of play and give Tua some reps with the #1's in practice ...

BEGIN WITH THE END IN MIND
Great questions @mwestberry !

Not everyone will have the same take, but here's my $0.02 on it.

Skill Positions
The offensive skill positions (QB, WR, TE and RB) aren't the guys really in a learning phase, it's the non-skill positions (OL) who are. Yes, Preston Williams (WR) and Mike Gesicki (TE) are in the learning phase. You can make the case for other players too such as WR's Isaiah Ford and Jakeem Grant, but those guys do not play as much. Ditto for young TE's like Smythe and Shaheen. While an argument can be made that our RB's (Gaskins in particular) is still in the learning phase ... typically RB's have almost no learning curve. Their only real learning curve is learning to pass protect, and I think it's safe to say that this will never be a strength of Gaskins or Breida. So really, just Preston Williams and Mike Gesicki as skilled position players in the learning phase. Neither is a rookie, and they're fairly developed at this point.

Learning Phase
Our OL has an extremely young and inexperienced LT, a young RG, new veterans at OC and LG, and our RT has changed positions so many times over the past few years it's laughable. So there is going to be a learning curve for the players, a learning curve for the group chemistry, a learning curve for the new coordinator, and the learning curve because ... well ... Miami has it's temptations even during a pandemic. IMHO, it is our OL that is the X factor, and so far, it looks fairly average, which is light years better than we typically have. Huge bright spot in my eyes. Great source of optimism.

Offense when Tua plays

So this really has two components, one is Tua and the other is the offense. Tua himself is still rehabbing his hip. Anyone who doubts that just needs to look at his pre-injury velocity at Alabama and his current velocity on throws we've seen in camp. He can definitely come back before it is fully healed ... but exactly how much earlier is more of a doctors question than a football analysis question. IMHO, I do not want to jeopardize the future of a great Dolphin to satisfy fan curiousity. I remember when Tony Sparano played a one-armed Jake Long waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before he was ready, and facing a tremendous Bears pass rusher with only one freakin' arm. From that day onward, Jake Long was never the same. He had one injury after another, never strung together a truly healthy run, declined greatly and quickly. IMHO, that was a DUMB move by Sparano, and one for which I never forgave Coach Fist Pump. I do NOT want to take that kind of risk with Tua. We're not going to the playoffs in 2020 ... sorry to break it to everyone, but we're not. Maybe I shoulda said "spoiler alert" but I doubt this is a surprise to anyone. Tua's health and development are priority #1 for me. I'd err on the side of caution if I were in charge.

The offense, sure, it will change. It is a widely held belief that Fitzmagic is among the smartest and most knowledgeable QB's in the NFL right now. He knows Gailey's system and has a lot of experience in it. He has a history with his receivers (Parker, Gesicki, Williams, Grant) and has is timing down. Definitely not a perfect player, but Fitz can implement the entire offense, which makes our offense less predictable. When Tua comes in he will be limited to only running a part of the playbook (maybe 1/3 of it) because that's the part he has mastered, can physically do well, and truly understands. Every rookie goes through that. Our offense will become more predictable, and we will rely on the OL to block a bit longer and the WR's to win their matchups more as Tua inevitably takes a beat to process what he sees. And, like all rookie QB's, he's not always going to see things correctly with the incredible speed of NFL play. But, IMHO, Tua's greatest strength is his decision making, so I suspect that he will improve that before the end of the year. How fast he does this .... meh ... we'll just have to live with that and accept how long it ends up being. That's part of package when a team breaks in a young QB, so let's not sweat it.

Additionally, Tua is young, and can throw deep pretty well despite his below-average NFL arm strength. That should open up more routes for Gesicki's seam routes deep, Jakeem Grant to press safeties high, and bucket drop 50/50 balls for DVP deep. In turn, if those are successful at a moderate rate, it will open up run lanes for Gaskins & Co. (I still have hope for Breida) as the safeties drop deeper and we face more coverage-based defenses. But on the average, most coaches call a ton of short junk (throws less than 5 yards past the LOS) to get the rookie's confidence up and minimize his chances of making mistakes. So, our offense may be even less consistent than it is now. He will throw picks ... it's inevitable. The key is that he learns from them and not make the same mistake twice. I think he will learn from them.

Letting the Team Come Together
I agree, letting the team come together is exceedingly helpful to a young QB. Tua can come in and adjust to the tremendous increase in speed and complexity that the NFL coverages throw at a young QB. Most rookies hold onto the ball too long, and our OL is shoring up so maybe they can allow him to do that while he learns. We're trying to establish a run game to take some of hte pressure off him ... but we're definitely not there yet, and I'm uncomfortably confident that the Seahawks will show us why we're not there yet. But hey, we have BIG receivers (DVP, Williams, Gesicki, Smythe, Shaheen) to provide big catch radius for Tua. Remember, Tua had the ultra-fast WR at Alabama ... and rarely threw him the ball. Tua works better with guys who present a bigger catch radius, and we have them on the team already, so once he adjusts to the NFL speed and complexity, and gets chemistry with his WR's ... he will be in a good place. We just need to keep him healthy, confident, and resilient while it happens.

Unless it's a highly skilled veteran coming back from injury, here's a list of teams that bench their starting QB after a win:

*after a win AND no INTS, 2 passing tds, 1 rushing td and breaking the franchise record for completion percentage lol

Flores needs to force the issue and put Tua in NOW!

Letting a QB be mentored for a year has destroyed the careers of what otherwise might have been somewhat successful. If Brady, Rodgers, and Mahomes had played their rookie season, they might have turned out to be half-decent QBs. Maybe even led their teams to winning a Super Bowl or more.

Dead man walking at QB.

Everyone said that we have to wait to see how the line plays first, as we do not want to get Tua killed.

Well….the o-line is doing a great job at pass pro…Fitz has all day to throw. Jackson at LT has surprised me -he looks like a veteran out there.

We aren't making the playoffs this year so put Tua in.

Time for Flores to pull a Shula and let our rookie play. Hey, it worked for Marino!
That 83 team was in the SB the year before. We had 3 pro bowlers in that Oline including a HOF center. Duper and Clayton and Moore outside. A veteran RB like Tony Nathan. much different situation. Having said that I'm all for Tua to get in there but it's not gonna happen after last night. It's gonna happen sooner or later but Fitz will start vs Seattle.

We're not winning the super bowl this year regardless...Tua can maybe get the start week 12 against the Jets after the bye week...no chance before then

I disagree with that. If the Dolphins lose their next three games against the Seahawks, 49ers, and Cardinals and are sitting at 1-5, I think you might see Tua start the game against the Chargers at home in Week 7.

Last edited:
Great questions @mwestberry !

Not everyone will have the same take, but here's my $0.02 on it.

Skill Positions
The offensive skill positions (QB, WR, TE and RB) aren't the guys really in a learning phase, it's the non-skill positions (OL) who are. Yes, Preston Williams (WR) and Mike Gesicki (TE) are in the learning phase. You can make the case for other players too such as WR's Isaiah Ford and Jakeem Grant, but those guys do not play as much. Ditto for young TE's like Smythe and Shaheen. While an argument can be made that our RB's (Gaskins in particular) is still in the learning phase ... typically RB's have almost no learning curve. Their only real learning curve is learning to pass protect, and I think it's safe to say that this will never be a strength of Gaskins or Breida. So really, just Preston Williams and Mike Gesicki as skilled position players in the learning phase. Neither is a rookie, and they're fairly developed at this point.

Learning Phase
Our OL has an extremely young and inexperienced LT, a young RG, new veterans at OC and LG, and our RT has changed positions so many times over the past few years it's laughable. So there is going to be a learning curve for the players, a learning curve for the group chemistry, a learning curve for the new coordinator, and the learning curve because ... well ... Miami has it's temptations even during a pandemic. IMHO, it is our OL that is the X factor, and so far, it looks fairly average, which is light years better than we typically have. Huge bright spot in my eyes. Great source of optimism.

Offense when Tua plays
So this really has two components, one is Tua and the other is the offense. Tua himself is still rehabbing his hip. Anyone who doubts that just needs to look at his pre-injury velocity at Alabama and his current velocity on throws we've seen in camp. He can definitely come back before it is fully healed ... but exactly how much earlier is more of a doctors question than a football analysis question. IMHO, I do not want to jeopardize the future of a great Dolphin to satisfy fan curiousity. I remember when Tony Sparano played a one-armed Jake Long waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before he was ready, and facing a tremendous Bears pass rusher with only one freakin' arm. From that day onward, Jake Long was never the same. He had one injury after another, never strung together a truly healthy run, declined greatly and quickly. IMHO, that was a DUMB move by Sparano, and one for which I never forgave Coach Fist Pump. I do NOT want to take that kind of risk with Tua. We're not going to the playoffs in 2020 ... sorry to break it to everyone, but we're not. Maybe I shoulda said "spoiler alert" but I doubt this is a surprise to anyone. Tua's health and development are priority #1 for me. I'd err on the side of caution if I were in charge.

The offense, sure, it will change. It is a widely held belief that Fitzmagic is among the smartest and most knowledgeable QB's in the NFL right now. He knows Gailey's system and has a lot of experience in it. He has a history with his receivers (Parker, Gesicki, Williams, Grant) and has is timing down. Definitely not a perfect player, but Fitz can implement the entire offense, which makes our offense less predictable. When Tua comes in he will be limited to only running a part of the playbook (maybe 1/3 of it) because that's the part he has mastered, can physically do well, and truly understands. Every rookie goes through that. Our offense will become more predictable, and we will rely on the OL to block a bit longer and the WR's to win their matchups more as Tua inevitably takes a beat to process what he sees. And, like all rookie QB's, he's not always going to see things correctly with the incredible speed of NFL play. But, IMHO, Tua's greatest strength is his decision making, so I suspect that he will improve that before the end of the year. How fast he does this .... meh ... we'll just have to live with that and accept how long it ends up being. That's part of package when a team breaks in a young QB, so let's not sweat it.

Additionally, Tua is young, and can throw deep pretty well despite his below-average NFL arm strength. That should open up more routes for Gesicki's seam routes deep, Jakeem Grant to press safeties high, and bucket drop 50/50 balls for DVP deep. In turn, if those are successful at a moderate rate, it will open up run lanes for Gaskins & Co. (I still have hope for Breida) as the safeties drop deeper and we face more coverage-based defenses. But on the average, most coaches call a ton of short junk (throws less than 5 yards past the LOS) to get the rookie's confidence up and minimize his chances of making mistakes. So, our offense may be even less consistent than it is now. He will throw picks ... it's inevitable. The key is that he learns from them and not make the same mistake twice. I think he will learn from them.

Letting the Team Come Together
I agree, letting the team come together is exceedingly helpful to a young QB. Tua can come in and adjust to the tremendous increase in speed and complexity that the NFL coverages throw at a young QB. Most rookies hold onto the ball too long, and our OL is shoring up so maybe they can allow him to do that while he learns. We're trying to establish a run game to take some of hte pressure off him ... but we're definitely not there yet, and I'm uncomfortably confident that the Seahawks will show us why we're not there yet. But hey, we have BIG receivers (DVP, Williams, Gesicki, Smythe, Shaheen) to provide big catch radius for Tua. Remember, Tua had the ultra-fast WR at Alabama ... and rarely threw him the ball. Tua works better with guys who present a bigger catch radius, and we have them on the team already, so once he adjusts to the NFL speed and complexity, and gets chemistry with his WR's ... he will be in a good place. We just need to keep him healthy, confident, and resilient while it happens.
But my question to you is, if Tua is not 100% healthy then why is he #2 right now and only one play away from having to go in there? If the team is worry that he's gonna get hurt further by having to play then why aren't they carrying one more QB so that if our 38 years old QB gets hurt they don't need to play Tua?

Either he is 100% healthy or flores is totally playing with fire and made a big mistake. It has to be one or the other but it can't be both so which one is it?

The problem is Flores isn’t going to pull Fitz until he believes Tua gives us the best chance to win period. We all want to see him but these threads are a bigger waste of time than Fitz. Flores could a take 22 guys from Finheaven and nationally he’d be tanking but behind closed doors he’d really be trying to win. He’s all about now and other examples, (Mahomes and Rodgers) have shown us this doesn’t stunt the young QB’s growth. The only thing it stunts is fan excitement which Flores could probably give 2 shits about.

I am all for playing Tua if he gives the team a better chance to win. Hiding him or not playing him against a good team etc is all dumb. However, Fitz clearly gives the team a better chance to win. That was almost a perfect performance, his teammates play hard for him. As soon as the team feels Tua gives a better chance to win, he is up.

I saw some posts I had to chuckle. I saw a resident expert attempting to knock Fitz last night bc a throw to Grant (a completion) was wide. The poster didn't mention the Flowers was pushed into the Qb lap, and a throw behind Gesicki that went through his hands. 20 Passes were looking for 2 one was a big gain one a drop, LOL. I didn't notice that post mentioning FItz running it in for a score, extending a drive with a 4th down run, or picking up 16 to extend a drive on another play.
There is a whole hell of a lot more to QB play than the speed of the ball and finding a pass or two that wasn't placed perfectly, sadly some still don't understand feel for the game, and situational awareness. Its like deja VU

Last edited:
But my question to you is, if Tua is not 100% healthy then why is he #2 right now and only one play away from having to go in there? If the team is worry that he's gonna get hurt further by having to play then why aren't they carrying one more QB so that if our 38 years old QB gets hurt they don't need to play Tua?

Either he is 100% healthy or flores is totally playing with fire and made a big mistake. It has to be one or the other but it can't be both so which one is it?

Agreed. I don't think TT's sitting is injury related. If it were, they'd have kept Rosen. The situation is RF is playing well. Until that changes or he gets injured, he's the starter.

Exactly I was saying when they release Rosen and exactly what I been saying if Tua isnt TRULY healthy.

I am all for playing Tua if he gives the team a better chance to win. Hiding him or not playing him against a good team etc is all dumb. However, Fitz clearly gives the team a better chance to win. That was almost a perfect performance, his teammates play hard for him. As soon as the team feels Tua gives a better chance to win, he is up.

I saw some posts I had to chuckle. I saw a resident expert attempting to knock Fitz last night bc a throw to Grant (a completion) was wide. The poster didn't mention the Flowers was pushed into the Qb lap, and a throw behind Gesicki that went through his hands. 20 Passes were looking for 2 one was a big gain one a drop, LOL. I didn't notice that post mentioning FItz running it in for a score, extending a drive with a 4th down run, or picking up 16 to extend a drive on another play.
There is a whole hell of a lot more to QB play than the speed of the ball and finding a pass or two that wasn't placed perfectly, sadly some still don't understand feel for the game, and situational awareness. Its like deja VU

It’s funny because I keep reading about Fitz’s “dead arm” and I kind of chuckle. Ryan Fitzpatrick has never been a big armed QB and has looked like he’s putting everything into every pass for as long as I can remember. Point is sure he’s older and probably lost a little but from what I see it’s overblown. People act like he was Jeff George before and now what he is, that’s not the case.

I don’t even want to say this but somebody that was at camp said Fitz and Tua are on par with arm strength and obviously Rosen was better than both. Now to be clear I think you need an NFL arm but not a cannon, I’m not an it’s all about arm strength guy but if that’s true it may hurt some feelings around here. I also understand Tua’s biggest strengths are football instincts, ball placement and accuracy and not arm strength and think that is all more important. Just sick of hearing about Fitz’s “dead arm” when he never had a cannon to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom