Fitzpatrick/gesicki = Duhe/baumhower | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fitzpatrick/gesicki = Duhe/baumhower

Duhe had that monster AFC Championship game against NYJ. Beyond that, he was solid, but not much more - about on the level of Odrick.

You’ve just won the ‘Most uninformed post of the year” award
Duhe was a transformational player and one the first hybrid LB/DE players. He and Shula set a new trend for that type of player.
His career was cut short due to injury, but he was elite and in his prime he was a player that Offensive coordinators had to account for.

I love this draft. The only regret is I wanted the kicker Pinero

FS has been a need for a decade. I’m surprised Minkah didn’t go 4th overall. Best player on the board and fills a hole. We had to take him. Safety is an extremely important position. Moreso, than lb, wr, guard, rb, center. If you look back, a common theme of contending teams is that they almost always have a pro bowl caliber safety. Now, we potentially have the best safety combo in the league.

You’ve just won the ‘Most uninformed post of the year” award
Duhe was a transformational player and one the first hybrid LB/DE players. He and Shula set a new trend for that type of player.
His career was cut short due to injury, but he was elite and in his prime he was a player that Offensive coordinators had to account for.

That's not my memory and I watched every game during that period. He was solid, but not "elite". He was never a sack leader, that I recall.

Duhe was utilized all over the place as a rusher from different places. He was drafted as a DE and then moved to and OLB in a 3-4. But Arnsparger moved him around to create pressure. I have most of the 1982 season on DVD and you can see this, and the announcers comment on it a good bit. Because that AFC Championship game was SO over the top for him, the game in game out havoc he wreaked is overshadowed by that one game, and especially that last pick 6. It was INSANE the dropoff in defensive play after Arnsparger left again. Miami had a top-ranked defense in 1983, Marino's rookie year, and then Arnsparger left. In 1984, Marino's breakout year, the defense was a problem. Towards the end of the season all those points were needed to win- we couldn't stop anybody.(I have the 1984 season on DVD too- the last couple of weeks are tough to watch) Then the players had a meeting going into the last game vs Dallas, and the D came out strong, although they almost choked it away at the end. We did well in the playoffs, but that Super Bowl... which I've never re-watched- was crushing. I was 17 and I remember going into school the next day and my friends were afraid to talk to me....I have long wondered about the if's of that game: What if Arnsparger had stayed one more year, would San Fran have taken us out of the game so quickly by destroying our LB's? What if Overstreet hadn't died in the offseason prior? What if Andra Franklin hadn't wrecked his knee in week 2, I believe it was.
That Super Bowl might have been a different game if not for those three events.
But oh, the "what ifs"...they do nothing more than to torture a mind.

I remember when Shula told Baumhower that he was going to switch him to NG Baumhower was not sold- but eventually it turned out to be the right move.
Baumhower was a seriously good player.
Moving Bokamper to defensive end happened around the same time. But Bokamper wasn't as big as a DE in a 3-4 should be, and we were too small going into that Super Bowl vs Washington.
It was more about Miami's offense not making plays and the defense just finally wore out. A couple of first downs on offense and that's different game.

One of Shula's best coaching efforts, though, getting the team on the verge of a championship with David Woodley at quarterback. I think he could have gone earlier to Don Stock, but at that time Woodley was the team's future at the qb position. Doubt Shula expected Dan Marino to fall into the Dolphins lap.

That's not my memory and I watched every game during that period. He was solid, but not "elite". He was never a sack leader, that I recall.
He was great. He also had a pick in the SB vs the skins on about their 40. Too bad we couldn’t gain a yard on O after that.

Duhe had that monster AFC Championship game against NYJ. Beyond that, he was solid, but not much more - about on the level of Odrick.

In my mind, he splashed like Offerdahl.
Huge games early in his career only to be hobbled by injuries due to his playing style

Maybe more along the lines of Olivier Vernon when he was with us, without the dumbass penalties. He was good.

Duhe's AFC Championship Game performance was one for the ages! I remember a hybrid player who was good, not great. And he certainly didn't put up impressive career numbers.

Regular season:
8.5 career sacks
3 career INTs
He did win Rookie of the Year in 1977 and made 1 Pro Bowl in 1984

I really feel like Gesicki was the wrong pick, we should have gone with Goedert who I feel is the much better TE. Gesicki just looks uncordinated falling down half the game with those long uncordinated strides. It’s not hard to turn and run with him at all, his only advantage is he is taller and can out jump you. The only thing Gesicki has on Goedert is a bigger Vertical Goedert has the better hands, blocking, YAC etc. Gesicki’s 40 time does not translate to the football field...watch the tape! I hope I’m wrong but I just don’t see it.

Back
Top Bottom