Fitzpatrick, Rosen Begin Qb Competition In Miami | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fitzpatrick, Rosen Begin Qb Competition In Miami

Let’s just say all these qbs are crapshoots no matter who it is. I mean damn for every Young, Russell, Cutlers, and Leafs there’s going to be that chance of hitting a Brady, Manning, or Elway. Just never know.
Guess we’ll all find out which side of the fence Rosen is closer to by the end of this season.

Brock Osweiler was a late 2nd round pick. Far from a top pick.

Ah whoops, bad example. I dont know why I thought that he was. Just swap him for any other top pick who got traded for lower than his original pick. Coulda picked anyone applicable and my comment remains the same.

I think they figure there is a good chance Fitz doesnt start the whole year even if he starts week 1. And if he miraculously stays healthy and keeps Rosen on the bench, that only means a miracle has happened and were a contender.
I would prefer JR is a franchise QB. That would be my idea of a miracle.

Ah whoops, bad example. I dont know why I thought that he was. Just swap him for any other top pick who got traded for lower than his original pick. Coulda picked anyone applicable and my comment remains the same.

Not disagreeing with your original point, just thought I'd interject with that tidbit lol.

We can agree to disagree, but that's not how I see it. To the Dolphins he's a second round pick. That's what he costs us. Brock osweiler was a top pick at one point too but none of his other teams looked at him that way surely.

I'm not saying this as a knock on Josh. But at the end of the day, it is what it is. If the league though he had top 10 pick value someone would have given them more than we did.

It doesn’t matter what Miami paid... which was a 2nd and a 5th...and no...teams that were still in the market believed rightly Arizona was in a must trade situation and would have to trade under value...so your evaluation is incorrect, as many an expert stated at trade time.

I believe the team saw Fitz as the guy for the season. That is u til the opportunity arose for getting Josh.
First game of the regular season will show the team is ultimately Ridin' with Rosen.

I agree... other than the bomb to Cefalo, Woodley was useless. He did not nothing in the 2nd half and we still had the lead thru 3 quarters.

The fact that Woodley didn't complete a single pass in the second half still amazes me. He had FOUR completions the entire game! I was 16 yrs old and that loss still haunts me!

It doesn’t matter what Miami paid... which was a 2nd and a 5th...and no...teams that were still in the market believed rightly Arizona was in a must trade situation and would have to trade under value...so your evaluation is incorrect, as many an expert stated at trade time.

Many an expert isn't what I base my opinions on. No one is disputing that Arizona's position helped us get value. That has nothing to do with all the other teams not giving anymore than what we did. The market speaks for itself, that is the only fact.

The fact that Woodley didn't complete a single pass in the second half still amazes me. He had FOUR completions the entire game! I was 16 yrs old and that loss still haunts me!

Bokamper still almost put it away with that pass deflection that was so close to being 7.

Many an expert isn't what I base my opinions on. No one is disputing that Arizona's position helped us get value. That has nothing to do with all the other teams not giving anymore than what we did. The market speaks for itself, that is the only fact.
Sorry.. irrelevant!

We got a top ten QB in his sophomore year.

That’s like saying you offer $15,000 for an antique car worth $30,000...and because the seller is desperate he takes it... and someone suggesting it’s a $15,000 car when the book says $30,000.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t bother arguing with this one. This is the guy who had Lock as his top qb in this last draft, and Tannehill as the savior of this franchise as well.

I don't think so. Washington was physically superior. It was evident very early in the game.

I've mentioned that I was incredibly calm during the 1972 season Super Bowl in the second quarter, despite a scoreless game. We were controlling matters and it seemed merely a matter of time. A decade later it was exactly the opposite. I was a nervous wreck throughout that game. That morning I awoke expecting a win, and thinking it had been 9 long years. But once Washington started piling on the rushing attempts I knew it wasn't good. We were hanging in there but they were pounding away. This time we didn't have dominant defensive linemen like Bill Stanfill or Manny Fernandez.

In short, our defenders were nice AFC caliber players but not even close to NFC caliber. This was very early stages of that, interrupted only by the mega talented Raiders team one year later.

We needed a series of flukes to win that game. It could have happened with the Bokamper play. We already had the kickoff return and deep touchdown pass. But excluding those two plays the relevant stats were devastating -- 24 first downs to 9, 400 yards to 176, 52 rushing attempts to 29.

I give Shula credit for running the ball as often as he did. Otherwise it would have been far worse if we resorted to one of those 9 or 12 rushing attempt games that we became so fond of a few years later. Of course, that approach would have made no sense under Woodley.

BTW, Woodley is not given nearly enough credit for how he played early in those playoffs. His two best games of the season were opening round vs. New England then the playoff rematch against San Diego a week later. Check those numbers. Then he had a lousy game vs. the Jets and eventually in the Super Bowl, after a great start.

This was a very well thought-out, insightful, and well-written post. Thank you for that.

But we're going to have to agree to disagree.

I distinctly remember that game (I had just turned 13), and my uncle calling from Miami after Woodley got picked off, going bonkers about how the Skins were reading him and they need to go to Strock if they were going to win the game. Remember, Strock played pretty damned well in the playoffs in 81, so it's not like HE wasn't used to the big games. After that phone call? Woodley barely completed anything. He was awful.

He completed four passes the entire game. Four. You can argue with me all you want that the Skins were more physical, and you'd be right, but I don't think that game is 17-13 with Riggins running on that 4th and 1 play in the 4th quarter.

But we'll never know.

Back
Top Bottom