Fitzpatrick shocked at benching | Page 29 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fitzpatrick shocked at benching

Totally agree.

I'm pretty sure management's thoughts were to make the change at the bye week (which was originally week 11) unless Fitz was playing horribly. By then, the Dolphins would have most likely been out of the playoffs at that time and the transition would be more understandable.

I will say this about the timing of this change now that the bye week was moved up to this week, after 2 straight blowout wins and now at 3-3 in a year where there are now 3 wildcard spots, they are just 1 game back of a wildcard spot and if Tua has growing pains and the team goes on a decline, the morale of the team may go downhill in the next few weeks. Hopefully, Tua plays well and this fear is moot.
its a no brainer. Tua does well we make playoffs. Tua has growing pains and we miss playoffs but get higher pick while he gets experience.

its a no brainer. Tua does well we make playoffs. Tua has growing pains and we miss playoffs but get higher pick while he gets experience.
And if Fizt plays well for his standards, they still miss the playoffs... So this is a win-win-win...

Well, it's not fair to put it all in the QB. You need a whole team playing well together. Of course the QB's play affects the whole team but Tua can't win alone. He'll need some help just like any other QB. He could play well and we could still miss the playoffs so it's not as simple as how good or bad Tua plays.

Well, it's not fair to put it all in the QB. You need a whole team playing well together. Of course the QB's play affects the whole team but Tua can't win alone. He'll need some help just like any other QB. He could play well and we could still miss the playoffs so it's not as simple as how good or bad Tua plays.

Stop the nonsense!

We all know it's 100% on Tua! I mean many apparently see him as a man
ifestation of some cosmic football divinity (who is OBVIOUSLY not a Cowboys fan)!

I fully expect Tua to walk at least 3 inches above the ground and throw lightening bolts
into the eyes of defenders blinding them with uncanny accuracy and brilliance!

Besides that.

Nothing "special."

Putting words in my mouth is not helping your case - leadership isn’t making excuses - and it is taking the blame you are right

3-3 is not astounding production - when my son says I got 50% do I bake him a cake?

Leadership on Game Day I get it but what about showing some stones when things aren’t going your way and there are 50 men looking up to you as Dad - co d he be so self unaware??!!!

Is good leadership to lay a public rant down to cry sour grapes days after you said you saw the writing on the wall

And is good leadership going public with your laundry - you have a wife family and friends to vent With but don’t worry a true leader is taking over the huddle and he will show the way

And yes they have a team chaplain to help a guy vent as well
A public rant?

Jesus wept. You clearly didn't watch it, and are running with a few quotes some journalists with an agenda put out there.

Watch the zoom call.

Does it? But it doesn't speak anything about the 'man of god' that spamming vile hatred for the last 24 hours, who seems incapable of sympathy? Not someone I'd be defending, but lol ok, you got me it's irrelevant.
Still waiting on your PMs so I can figure out your issue with transparency -

Fitz said one thing and did the opposite

One is either for the Org they represent or for themselves (One either represents themselves or the Org) one cannot be divided and be considered a person of character

I have praised his effort in the past but he is a one read qB who cannot teach TT on the field maybe about things like nutrition and stretching but not over C

TT just learned from a 37 year old what not to do

I think fitz was ready to sign w/ Miami and eventually lose to a young guy and retire.

I also think he surprised himself a bit w/ his play while down here. He got legitimate national praise for his play. I think that has lit a fire in him to keep going.

he believes he was playing decent ball and wants to go out on his terms. And I can’t blame him.

I think fitz was ready to sign w/ Miami and eventually lose to a young guy and retire.

I also think he surprised himself a bit w/ his play while down here. He got legitimate national praise for his play. I think that has lit a fire in him to keep going.

he believes he was playing decent ball and wants to go out on his terms. And I can’t blame him.
Can you reconcile I am all about the team but I want to go out on my terms please

Can you reconcile I am all about the team but I want to go out on my terms please

Fitz time in Miami went much better than I’m sure he envisioned. He wasn’t playing terrible. But we have tua now and we need to move forward w/ that, given how well the rest of the team is playing.

Fitz is playing well enough to continue starting in this league. I don’t blame him for showing emotion and stating that he doesn’t want it to be over. His play to this point doesn’t get him benched in most situations. That’s gotta be tough as a 16 year vet.

his own words “I felt like this was my team” just shows that he was happy w/ his performance. He wants to keep playing football.

Most guys aren’t playing as well as Fitz when they get tossed from the league. Fitz gets that. He wants to retire on his own terms, not bc tua happened.

I see so many Fin Fans and national pundits overthinking this move when in reality, this was a pretty simple decision for these reasons:

- Tua was selected to be the starting QB and franchise cornerstone for the Miami Dolphins. The ONLY reason he wasn’t starting Week 1 was Miami’s caution with his hip injury and making sure he was 100% good to go. You could probably make the argument that Flores and Gailey wanted to see how our OL was looking as well.

- This team has just as good of a chance (if not better) of making the playoffs with Tua as the starting QB. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE what Fitz has brought to this team and he’ll always hold a special place in the heart’s of all Dolphin fans, but I think the national media are overplaying just how good Fitz has been playing. He had 10 TD’s and 7 Int’s. That’s a middle of the road TD-to-Int ratio and even in our wins, we’ve seen Fitz miss some throws that have killed drives and force ill advised passes that turned into Int’s. He was actually really bad in the 2nd half of the Jets game. Miami simply isn’t going to be able to get away with that vs most of the teams that are left on the schedule. Tua’s arm is not shot, his skill set brings things to the table that we just don’t have when Fitz is playing and IMO, even if Tua has some rookie growing pains, he’s not any more likely to throw a bunch of Int’s than Fitz is.

I cringe when the pundits say Flores better hope he doesn’t lose the locker room with this decision. Sure, playing Tua now certainly helps the future of the Miami Dolphins, but Flores DID NOT make this decision with the idea of throwing in the towel for the rest of this season. Flores is starting Tua because he thinks he gives us the best chance to win. Period.

Holy crap. No way the Dolphins should've made Fitz available to the media so soon. Colossal mistake!

I expect Fitz to be heartbroken but don't spill your guts to the media. What professional athlete does this openly to the public talking about animosity sitting in the meeting room after!? Between this interview and the alleged leak to the media, it's like Fitz wants to be traded.

This is the worst PR mismanagement since the press conference with Sparano extension press conference after Ross & Ireland flew across the country to replace him

Last edited:
I see so many Fin Fans and national pundits overthinking this move when in reality, this was a pretty simple decision for these reasons:

- Tua was selected to be the starting QB and franchise cornerstone for the Miami Dolphins. The ONLY reason he wasn’t starting Week 1 was Miami’s caution with his hip injury and making sure he was 100% good to go. You could probably make the argument that Flores and Gailey wanted to see how our OL was looking as well.

- This team has just as good of a chance (if not better) of making the playoffs with Tua as the starting QB. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE what Fitz has brought to this team and he’ll always hold a special place in the heart’s of all Dolphin fans, but I think the national media are overplaying just how good Fitz has been playing. He had 10 TD’s and 7 Int’s. That’s a middle of the road TD-to-Int ratio and even in our wins, we’ve seen Fitz miss some throws that have killed drives and force ill advised passes that turned into Int’s. He was actually really bad in the 2nd half of the Jets game. Miami simply isn’t going to be able to get away with that vs most of the teams that are left on the schedule. Tua’s arm is not shot, his skill set brings things to the table that we just don’t have when Fitz is playing and IMO, even if Tua has some rookie growing pains, he’s not any more likely to throw a bunch of Int’s than Fitz is.

I cringe when the pundits say Flores better hope he doesn’t lose the locker room with this decision. Sure, playing Tua now certainly helps the future of the Miami Dolphins, but Flores DID NOT make this decision with the idea of throwing in the towel for the rest of this season. Flores is starting Tua because he thinks he gives us the best chance to win. Period.
Agreed. Also, in response to Fitzpatrick's reaction I sense a major overreaction from fans and media. Seems like most in the locker room knew the change was coming soon, probably within a couple of weeks. I agree it's unusual to see someone be so open in a way that brings a bit of negative vibe but, crucially, i'll bet you anything if you held a secret vote, most of the team wants Tua sooner rather than later. Too bad Fitz can't admit or see it, but there was a definite ceiling to how far we could have gone this year with him...7-9/8-8 i would say. Also there were no real expectations for this team going into the year so hard to see any real revolt stemming from this move.

Finally, in this age of celebrities confessing on media, this comes across as another candid moment, not a radical shift. Fitz's candor 5-6 years ago may have been a real distraction. Today, it's much ado about nothing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom