Fitzpatrick | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fitzpatrick

To what?
Worst offense in league?
Worst scoring?
3-9?
He torched Eagles last year
Evidentially he is 4-0 against Schwartz...one of those things
I get that he has surpassed my expectations , maybe helped development of 1 player as I think what Parker is doing is just natural and a result of being healthy
He is a gamer and brings certain qualities but he is still bad and I just will need to learn to suffer through seeing him until injured or season over
Without Rosen dragging down the overall average, Fitzpatrick is leading the 26th scoring offense and even if you want to include Rosen, they're still 29th, not last.

So, given that you just decided that they're the worst offense without actually doing 2 minutes of research, it just sounds like you're just a taaaaad bit biased in this discussion.

To what?
Worst offense in league?
Worst scoring?
3-9?
He torched Eagles last year
Evidentially he is 4-0 against Schwartz...one of those things
I get that he has surpassed my expectations , maybe helped development of 1 player as I think what Parker is doing is just natural and a result of being healthy
He is a gamer and brings certain qualities but he is still bad and I just will need to learn to suffer through seeing him until injured or season over

After reading the last sentence in your post several times, I have come to the conclusion you could benefit from psychiatric care.

If we choose not to move up, then we don't loose our trade capital. Have you considered that? Take a chill pill!

The best QB's that come out of any given draft are not necessarily the ones people focus on going into the draft.
I have, the problem is, it's not guaranteed we won't. It's nothing to get excited about yet, but it's a concern that should be considered.

JUST Imagine the TOTAL meltdown among the 'Tankers' & 'ESPN Highlight package viewing crowd'....

If Fitz is the starter next season. :geek :laugh

I have, the problem is, it's not guaranteed we won't. It's nothing to get excited about yet, but it's a concern that should be considered.

I see your point. My focus is different.

I want to see the dolphins get as many new draft picks as possible. This approach would use trading back to get more draft selections as opposed to trading up and reducing our draft capital. I feel we have so many weaknesses overall, that our best answer is a lot of general upgrades as opposed to fewer potentially significant upgrades.

We can fall back on the large amount of cap space we currently have to bring in some Vets on one and two year deals to help in areas where we don't get a draft pick support.

I see this approach as going on for at least two years before we are in a position to be able to maintain the team with the more typical smaller number of draft picks that winning teams usually end up with.

Feel free to substitute some ice cubes in a beverage of your choice for chill pills!

I want to see the dolphins get as many new draft picks as possible. This approach would use trading back to get more draft selections as opposed to trading up and reducing our draft capital. I feel we have so many weaknesses overall, that our best answer is a lot of general upgrades as opposed to fewer potentially significant upgrades.

We can fall back on the large amount of cap space we currently have to bring in some Vets on one and two year deals to help in areas where we don't get a draft pick support.

I see this approach as going on for at least two years before we are in a position to be able to maintain the team with the more typical smaller number of draft picks that winning teams usually end up with.

Feel free to substitute some ice cubes in a beverage of your choice for chill pills!
Well, free agency (the first FA period anyway) happens before the draft, so in that respect, you have it backwards.

Some, if not many, if our picks will depend on what we come up with in free agency.

I don't think we are going all in on any one particular free agent. We will approach it from a value point of view, then draft accordingly.

As Mach2 said: FA comes first and we do have boat load of cash, so we'll see. But I'm not against trading down and amassing more picks. I just don't want to trade up and lose picks.

Without Rosen dragging down the overall average, Fitzpatrick is leading the 26th scoring offense and even if you want to include Rosen, they're still 29th, not last.

So, given that you just decided that they're the worst offense without actually doing 2 minutes of research, it just sounds like you're just a taaaaad bit biased in this discussion.

I am
I want a fix at QB and watching a pretty much 40 year old guy I know sucks for majority of career throw a few nice passes and run around yucking it up is not my preference
Rosen was a 1st round pick for specific reasons
I want to see what he has over a period of games
To see if he develops what is needed, if he can lead, overcome...etc....
With as depleted our roster is if he fit the bill it would be a huge factor

As Mach2 said: FA comes first and we do have boat load of cash, so we'll see. But I'm not against trading down and amassing more picks. I just don't want to trade up and lose picks.
One point about the boatload of cash. NFL rules dictate that we can't roll it over indefinitely, so at some point it has to be spent.

Spending wisely, rather than flashey is the key.

Well, free agency (the first FA period anyway) happens before the draft, so in that respect, you have it backwards.

Some, if not many, if our picks will depend on what we come up with in free agency.

I don't think we are going all in on any one particular free agent. We will approach it from a value point of view, then draft accordingly.

Yes, you are right, I should have been more explicit.

When the season ends the FO and coaches are going to sit down and determine their draft board selection chart. Then they will know to some extent which areas the draft will likely not meet our needs as well as which of our needs are likely be met within the 2020 draft.

Based on the draft board they develop, they will have some idea about which positions we want that the draft won't help us with and what Free Agency players could meet those needs. Then they can try and get good, solid players for those positions in free agency or by trade, as opposed to the most prominent players available who would cost much more.

Their next step would be to go after as many of those free agents as possible. Depending on who we can get in free agency or by trade then helps determine which positions we want the draft to address and the draft board gets changed accordingly, allowing us to be more effective in selecting players for the positions we need.

If this goes the way I expect it to, then pre-season for 2020 will be a real battleground for players coming in and those we had in 2019. It should be very interesting to see how Flo handles the preseason and who ends up on our 52 man roster. I'm already looking forward to it.

Keep in mind that while we are doing all this we still have the 2021 draft to use in getting trades or other draft picks for 2020, or increasing the number of draft picks we will have for 2021.

None of this is done in a vacuum.

I am
I want a fix at QB and watching a pretty much 40 year old guy I know sucks for majority of career throw a few nice passes and run around yucking it up is not my preference
Rosen was a 1st round pick for specific reasons
I want to see what he has over a period of games
To see if he develops what is needed, if he can lead, overcome...etc....
With as depleted our roster is if he fit the bill it would be a huge factor
I'd rather watch a 40 year old guy throw a few nice passes and score some touchdowns than watch Rosen hold the ball and eat dirt 30 times a game.

Somehow Fitzpatrick sucks, but Rosen deserves to show what he's got when he sucks waaaaaaaaay more? Rosen was a first round pick for the same reasons that JP Losman or Kyle Boller were. Being a 1st round pick means absolutely nothing. You can either play or you can't, and it doesn't take 2 years to figure that out.

I'd rather watch a 40 year old guy throw a few nice passes and score some touchdowns than watch Rosen hold the ball and eat dirt 30 times a game.

Somehow Fitzpatrick sucks, but Rosen deserves to show what he's got when he sucks waaaaaaaaay more? Rosen was a first round pick for the same reasons that JP Losman or Kyle Boller were. Being a 1st round pick means absolutely nothing. You can either play or you can't, and it doesn't take 2 years to figure that out.

And you know for sure Rosen would not advance in areas needed, with experience?
If it were the almighty Tua next year and he struggled you would prefer Fitzpatrick?
You would have given up on P Manning then I take it because it didn't look it year 1
Whatever

Yes, you are right, I should have been more explicit.

When the season ends the FO and coaches are going to sit down and determine their draft board selection chart. Then they will know to some extent which areas the draft will likely not meet our needs as well as which of our needs are likely be met within the 2020 draft.

Based on the draft board they develop, they will have some idea about which positions we want that the draft won't help us with and what Free Agency players could meet those needs. Then they can try and get good, solid players for those positions in free agency or by trade, as opposed to the most prominent players available who would cost much more.

Their next step would be to go after as many of those free agents as possible. Depending on who we can get in free agency or by trade then helps determine which positions we want the draft to address and the draft board gets changed accordingly, allowing us to be more effective in selecting players for the positions we need.

If this goes the way I expect it to, then pre-season for 2020 will be a real battleground for players coming in and those we had in 2019. It should be very interesting to see how Flo handles the preseason and who ends up on our 52 man roster. I'm already looking forward to it.

Keep in mind that while we are doing all this we still have the 2021 draft to use in getting trades or other draft picks for 2020, or increasing the number of draft picks we will have for 2021.

None of this is done in a vacuum.
Absolutely.

I've said it before, but it bears repeating. People who thought there was a "written in stone" plan were mistaken, IMO.

There was an overall framework of how to rebuild, unload bad contracts, make moves to aquire draft picks, get the cap back to a manageable state, etc, but they purposely did those things with an eye towards flexibility.

Back
Top Bottom