Five Things That Have To Happen For Miami To Contend | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Five Things That Have To Happen For Miami To Contend

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Here are my thoughts.

1. The offense needs to take a major step
I actually feel pretty confident that this will happen. Miami went 7-1 in Tannehill's last eight starts in 2016 and his qb rating would have ranked seventh overall in that time frame. Certainly arguable that he has quite a bit more talent to work with in 2018. At face value, the offense should at least be a bit above league average with lots of speed in Stills, Wilson, Grant and Drake. I love the Gesicki addition and think that will pay immediate dividends.

2. Pass Rush Needs to Show Up
Preseason is preseason, but still was somewhat disappointed with a lack of pass rush in the opener against Tampa Bay. With a suspect run defense, the pass rush needs to show up pretty big and it can't be just Wake. Quinn and Harris seem like the best bets to complement Wake if Harris can take that next step.

3. Run Defense Needs to be Close to League Average
On paper, Miami's run defense looks to be bottom third in the league maybe even bottom five. That is my major concern, but maybe the team surprises here. Jumping on opponents and getting leads seems like part of the key here.

4. Find Ways to Win
In 2016, Miami found ways to win. Good teams do that, snatching victory from defeat. We saw special teams step up at the right time, crucial defensive plays at big times etc. You can be outplayed and still find ways to win sometimes. That is the case for a lot of playoff teams.

5. Consistent Kicking Game
After the run defense, this is my biggest concern. I'm not sure the starting kicker is currently on the team, but Miami will go through growing pains with Sanders or Joseph. That could cost the team a win or two.

Good points and point on.
1 and 5 have a solid chance of hapenning IMO with improved Oline and IMO Sanders could come around.
2 Should happen with the talent we have at DE
4 Well interesting to me 2016 was it a result of a couple lucky bounces and the Jay Train surprising some insuspecting teams or Gases coachimg. I am leaning on the former and hoping for the latter.
5 Will be difficult IMO with Davon G, Taylor and a rusty McMillian as our main hope. Question marks abound here. How long will it take for McMillian to show up with missing last year plus hos knee injury, Phillips is a bit of enigma gets nicked up though talent is there and Spence is a no show from what I have seen posted.

It all comes down to oline & in turn TH balling out. If he leads this team to 27+ pts a game we can contend for a SB, 24+ pts we will make playoffs.

Nice write up bro...

Run the ball:
Especially early in the season when Tannehill is getting back into the groove of playing. Time of possesion will be key for our defense. He's very effective off of play action and we have a very good stable of backs. We neglected the run last year which is troubling considering Cutler was at the helm. Drake is our best offensive weapon if you ask me and there's solid depth behind him. Gase needs to put his ego aside and run the ball, this isn't Peyton Manning and the Broncos.

Stop the run: Can't get gashed on the ground. It's deflating.

Young guns emerge: Gesicki, Minkah, Baker, Ballage, Harris, Raekwon etc... We need some breakout performances. Who's going to step up for us, we need it desperately.

Tannehill needs to run: Watching some of the rookie QBs it struck me how hesitant Tannehill can be in the pocket. He needs to use his legs more, he doesn't do that nearly enough.I went back and watched his rookie season and he seemed more aware in the pocket to me, tucking it and running as soon as a lane opened up.

Fast start to the season: The second half of the season is tough. Particularly the last four games. We need to position ourselves in the first half of the season.

1. Find a genie in a bottle, and make a wish.

2. Sell you soul to the devil.

3. Sign Chuck Norris to be a two way player.

4. Play 13 on 11.

5. Get pics of Roger Goodell with prostitutes.

Nice write up bro...

Run the ball:
Especially early in the season when Tannehill is getting back into the groove of playing. Time of possesion will be key for our defense. He's very effective off of play action and we have a very good stable of backs. We neglected the run last year which is troubling considering Cutler was at the helm. Drake is our best offensive weapon if you ask me and there's solid depth behind him. Gase needs to put his ego aside and run the ball, this isn't Peyton Manning and the Broncos.

Stop the run: Can't get gashed on the ground. It's deflating.

Young guns emerge: Gesicki, Minkah, Baker, Ballage, Harris, Raekwon etc... We need some breakout performances. Who's going to step up for us, we need it desperately.

Tannehill needs to run: Watching some of the rookie QBs it struck me how hesitant Tannehill can be in the pocket. He needs to use his legs more, he doesn't do that nearly enough.I went back and watched his rookie season and he seemed more aware in the pocket to me, tucking it and running as soon as a lane opened up.

Fast start to the season: The second half of the season is tough. Particularly the last four games. We need to position ourselves in the first half of the season.
Good points on Tannehill. For someone as athletic as he is, Tannehill is sometimes a statue in the pocket. We saw some improvement there under Gase's tutelage and hopefully that will continue.

1. Health of the team (no major injures and RT bounces back)
2. Gase and the staff are able to out coach the opposition most of the time.
3. Our draft picks, FAs, and 2 year players become productive and stand out players.
4. A few lucky bounces
5. The refs let the players play

1. Brady gets injured
2. Belichick decides he needs a break
3. Jets continue to Jet
4. Buffalo regresses from last year
5. Our players have career years

I really hope we emphasize the run game and we pound the rock every week. Everything else will fall in place if you can run the football. Running travels well, it sets a tone physically, etc. I think we have the personnel to do it too.

I’d hope we throw downfield more too as a complement to the run game.

I really hope we emphasize the run game and we pound the rock every week. Everything else will fall in place if you can run the football. Running travels well, it sets a tone physically, etc. I think we have the personnel to do it too.

I’d hope we throw downfield more too as a complement to the run game.
You do have to be able to run the ball, but the days of winning with 18 pass attempts per game on a regular basis are over unless you have a total shutdown D.

Also very important to run the clock with the lead, and not have three and out situations.

The short passing game has replaced the run game in some aspects of today's game, and I think Gase has built this team with that in mind.

I'd just switch 2-3... 1-2-3 are highly dependant of one another in a specific order IMO...

1. Offense needs to take early decent leads
  2. In order to do so, the defense needs to get off the field by stopping the run early
  3. Once both those things are accomplished, the defensive line can pin their ears and go after the QB, which plays right into their strenght.
If the Fins can do those things in a consistant manner, they will make some noise... But still, easier said than done...

Here are my thoughts.

1. The offense needs to take a major step
I actually feel pretty confident that this will happen. Miami went 7-1 in Tannehill's last eight starts in 2016 and his qb rating would have ranked seventh overall in that time frame. Certainly arguable that he has quite a bit more talent to work with in 2018. At face value, the offense should at least be a bit above league average with lots of speed in Stills, Wilson, Grant and Drake. I love the Gesicki addition and think that will pay immediate dividends.

2. Pass Rush Needs to Show Up
Preseason is preseason, but still was somewhat disappointed with a lack of pass rush in the opener against Tampa Bay. With a suspect run defense, the pass rush needs to show up pretty big and it can't be just Wake. Quinn and Harris seem like the best bets to complement Wake if Harris can take that next step.

3. Run Defense Needs to be Close to League Average
On paper, Miami's run defense looks to be bottom third in the league maybe even bottom five. That is my major concern, but maybe the team surprises here. Jumping on opponents and getting leads seems like part of the key here.

4. Find Ways to Win
In 2016, Miami found ways to win. Good teams do that, snatching victory from defeat. We saw special teams step up at the right time, crucial defensive plays at big times etc. You can be outplayed and still find ways to win sometimes. That is the case for a lot of playoff teams.

5. Consistent Kicking Game
After the run defense, this is my biggest concern. I'm not sure the starting kicker is currently on the team, but Miami will go through growing pains with Sanders or Joseph. That could cost the team a win or two.

I agree, but . . .
#1 - Not certain the O needs to make a major step from '16. OL is improved. TE improved. I'd tweak that to 'O needs to step up early.'
#4 - sounds a little fuzzy. I'd flip that to 'Find ways not to lose.' Reduce mindless penalties. Reduce blown assignments. No 'prevent' starting 3Q.
Only one that concerns me now is run D. Not certain it's as bad as some think, but no evidence it's improved.

Those are all good points. I think there are a few more as well. I would probably add these:

6. Our OL needs to prove it can consistently open run lanes and provide Tannehill time to throw deeper routes.
7. Our DT's need to be close to average, because right now they look terrible.
8. Raekwon McMillan needs to be given a chance by our DT's, not just matadoring the C and G's straight at McMillan on every run play.
9. Fitzpatrick needs to be allowed to take over this defense from a FS position.
10. Gesicki needs to become a consistent 3rd down and red zone threat.
11. Tannehill needs to stay healthy.

Back
Top Bottom