Fixing offense no small task | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fixing offense no small task

Kadiddlehopper

Charter Member of the Dolphin's Fan Club
Reaction score
Hope Cleo and the rest of the team shine today, but this is depressing=

And from Mandich's viewpoint, the Dolphins better pack for a long expedition.
"Do a cataloging of the AFC East and the Dolphins are behind by every measure," Mandich said. "Every team in the AFC East is set at the quarterback position with a young guy entering his prime. Every team, their star players are younger than theirs. Every team is better in terms of draft picks and they are in better shape, salary cap-wise

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphi...1b_fins_1231.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=46

This team is doomed. We only scored 20 point twice this whole season. No team in the NFL can win like that I do not care who you have on defense. It is time to go into the draft looking at only offense. I also think it would be better for Nick to go to Alabama, he is a good college coach but lacks that NFL instinct. Hopefully we could get some one like Cower down here.

Hope Cleo and the rest of the team shine today, but this is depressing=

"Do a cataloging of the AFC East and the Dolphins are behind by every measure," Mandich said. "Every team in the AFC East is set at the quarterback position with a young guy entering his prime. Every team, their star players are younger than theirs. Every team is better in terms of draft picks and they are in better shape, salary cap-wise

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphi...1b_fins_1231.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=46

It's true and it sucks. But the tide can turn quickly. And being younger doesn't always equal success. The gloomy part is that we are still in a bad situation at QB. After all these years since Marino retired, the Dolphins have failed to improve the QB position.

The problem we've had lately is that coaches are attempting to plug holes with average players instead of attempting to get some difference makers. We have a total of ZERO bona fide play-makers on offense. Ronnie Brown is good, but not a guy that a defense has to absolutely focus on. We all know about Chambers' consistency (or lack there of). Unfortunately those are the only two guys on offense that can even have an argument made for them. And it would be a very short argument. I want us to finally get a guy who can take over a game - someone who raises the play of everyone on the field just because he's on it. Pretty much all the playoff teams have one or two of these guys. And the teams who don't are simply in the playoffs because someone else had to make it and they will make an early exit.

This team is doomed. We only scored 20 point twice this whole season. No team in the NFL can win like that I do not care who you have on defense. It is time to go into the draft looking at only offense. I also think it would be better for Nick to go to Alabama, he is a good college coach but lacks that NFL instinct. Hopefully we could get some one like Cower down here.

twice? I counted 5...
Weeks: 7, 9, 11, 12, and 14. We lost week 7. We won the rest.

I think the use of the term "playmakers" needs to be removed from every football fan's vocabulary.

I remember back in 1999 when the New York Giants had the same problems, then in that off-season they signed three good offensive lineman, in the 2000 season they went the the superbowl.

Saban (or whoever is coach) has a lot of work to do in the offseason.

I think the demise of the Fins has been greatly exaggerated. I am not gonna write off Culpepper; I think he is gonna do well for us next yr. Even this year we could have been a 10-6 team if not for bonehead calls by MM. The biggest things we need to take care of in the offseason: sign OL, sign LB(pref. Briggs), draft CB, draft OL. I think our recievers (esp. Chambers) are better than they played this yr. Also if Hagan keeps catching like he did last week, I will feel pretty good about our recievers: Chambers, Booker, Welker, Hagan.

I think with these changes and an OC who can actually call a game, we should be in the playoffs next yr.

I think if we get some O-line helpAnd a Breakout WR,with a healthy Daunte.Will be good to go on Offense next year.

Mandich makes some solid points, others are questionable.

First off, as to the QB's, does he realize that Chad Pennington is actually older than Duante Culpepper? That JP Losman, though improved, isn't really scaring anyone?

I also think the "young stars" quote is a bit misleading. Technically he's correct, but mostly because we still have JT and ZT on our roster. This doesn't mean guys like Channing Crowder and Ronnie Brown won't develop into stars. A lot of people thought Jason Taylor was nothing special his first 2-3 years in Miami (in fact, a lot of people were calling him a bust after having only 2.5 sacks his third year in the league). Some guys have an immediate impact, some take time.

As for draft picks, he might have a point. The Jets got a lot of lift out of a handful of their draft picks this year, while we got almost nothing out of ours. But as I put forth in my previous paragraphs, it might be a little early yet to label the draft a bust (personally I think it takes 2-3 years). But if we were to find a couple of impact players in the upcoming draft, and guys like Allen, Hagan, Toledo, Wright, etc were to develop into solid players, then what Mandich says suddenly doesn't hold that much water.

And yes, I know there's a lot of "ifs" there, especially with Culpepper and this past draft, but it certainly may not be as dour as it seems.

Ya'll think Saban should've gone with Braylon instead of Ruben especially since RB's are a dime a dozen?

Back
Top Bottom