Fixing OL - Any RG Candidates? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fixing OL - Any RG Candidates?

I watched the Gator Bowl and got a good look at Tennessee's Trey Smith. He strikes me as an impressive guard prospect. He's had some heart issues and I am not sure if it is all in the past but he's obviously playing now.

From the one game I saw, Trey has the full package of athleticism and size. He looks so much better physically than a Dallas Thomas or Michael Dieter. He just pops out at you. He would be a very obvious day two type pick if he declares.

Don't forget we have Davis on our roster, and while he's ok at OT he is better at RG. If FA / Draft falls where the best players available are OT Davis can move back to RG

Last edited:
Don't forget we have davis on our roster, and while he's ok at OT he is better at RG. If FA / Draft falls where the best players available are OT Davis can move back to RG

To me, it makes MUCH more sense to draft two tackles and then flip Davis back inside than it does to draft a guard and a tackle and then leave Davis out of position.

Going one step further, I'd try to make Davis our 6th lineman. Super versatile guy who is mostly average. Good fit to remain on team, but not so much to start.

I watched the Gator Bowl and got a good look at Tennessee's Trey Smith. He strikes me as an impressive guard prospect. He's had some heart issues and I am not sure if it is all in the past but he's obviously playing now.

From the one game I saw, Trey has the full package of athleticism and size. He looks so much better physically than a Dallas Thomas or Michael Dieter. He just pops out at you. He would be a very obvious day two type pick if he declares.

He's supposed to look impressive. He was the #1 recruit in the country regardless of position.

I don't understand the inclination to move Jesse Davis back to guard. He looked narrow and high and not strong enough and generally confused.

Davis is okay at right tackle but I agree in an ideal situation he's your 6th guy

To me, it makes MUCH more sense to draft two tackles and then flip Davis back inside than it does to draft a guard and a tackle and then leave Davis out of position.

Going one step further, I'd try to make Davis our 6th lineman. Super versatile guy who is mostly average. Good fit to remain on team, but not so much to start.

I agree but with a roster thats completely void of talent and 3 (arguably 4 imo) positions on the OL that need addressing first, I'd probably go into next year assuming Boehm and Davis start.

I agree but with a roster thats completely void of talent and 3 (arguably 4 imo) positions on the OL that need addressing first, I'd probably go into next year assuming Boehm and Davis start.
Not a bad assumption... this will come down to FO preference.

We have 6 early picks and we could completely overhaul the line if we cared to... especially if we sign Thuney.

I doubt that we do, but it is an option.

It could look something like this.
LT: Jackson
LG: Dieter
C: Humphreys
RG: Thuney
RT: Prince Tega

It would just take the will.

As I noted in my oline thread back in May - he's THE best offensive lineman in the country when he's not dealing with the blood clot issue.

Last edited:
As a noted in my oline thread back in May - he's THE best offensive lineman in the country when he's not dealing with the blood clot issue.

What round would you feel good taking him?

I would do nasty things for Trey Smith and Mekhi Beckton on my OL.

Jedrick Wills could easily play there but I'm not sure why you'd do that. He's going to be more valuable at right tackle.

Same with Tristan Wirfs, who may even move to left tackle.

Matt Peart of Uconn is somewhat in the same boat in that he should probably stay at right tackle, but he's so underrated right now that he's worth mentioning. Big, strong, moves really well. His body structure is right. His center of gravity is right. He's a big, strong player, with good feet and good slide movement. He's not a weak run blocker but his pass pro seems to be ahead of his run blocking, probably because he has a little bit of a stiff lower back. He's a leader on the team, with an NFL body. Reminds me of Demar Dotson. Or maybe a skinnier Jeff Otah.

Last edited:
im not sure where people get this idea from that Jesse Davis is a better guard, than RT. He looked FAR better at RT than he did at guard. He looked a bit lost at times at guard. Plus, his size suits RT way better.

Now if we draft Tua, he needs replaced

i dont know much about Mehki Becton, so I watched some highlights of him against Notre Dame and he definitely looks like he moves people real easily. But I wonder how he would fair against speedy DE's in the NFL.

i dont know much about Mehki Becton, so I watched some highlights of him against Notre Dame and he definitely looks like he moves people real easily. But I wonder how he would fair against speedy DE's in the NFL.

That's clearly going to be the test for him at the NFL level. Fortunately, there aren't too many pure speed/Cam Wake guys and secondly once he gets a paw on you it's over.

Bottomline I just want one of those nasty OLs that absolutely beats the hell out of the opponent. I think Beckton and Trey Smith would be a great step in that direction.

That's clearly going to be the test for him at the NFL level. Fortunately, there aren't too many pure speed/Cam Wake guys and secondly once he gets a paw on you it's over.

Bottomline I just want one of those nasty OLs that absolutely beats the hell out of the opponent. I think Beckton and Trey Smith would be a great step in that direction.

in that case Mekhi Becton, Logan Stenberg, and Tyler Biadazs sounds perfect lol

in that case Mekhi Becton, Logan Stenberg, and Tyler Biadazs sounds perfect lol

Especially when you take into consideration the league has gone more to quick, fast, type of guys and passing. It's one of the reason, beyond being talented, that a guy like D.Henry is having a monster season, Gurely not too long ago and the Ravens almost every year. There aren't too many teams that can play a strong run game against a nasty, strong, big OL to boot.

Not a bad assumption... this will come down to FO preference.

We have 6 early picks and we could completely overhaul the line if we cared to... especially if we sign Thuney.

I doubt that we do, but it is an option.

It could look something like this.
LT: Jackson
LG: Dieter
C: Humphreys
RG: Thuney
RT: Prince Tega

It would just take the will.

Oh we absolutely could. I just think this front office, based off everything, really likes Flores' player development. Id be SHOCKED if we drafted more than 2 OL this draft.

But, a lot of that is simply me conjecturing based off of what I was told by someone who was repeating a conversation. Telephone never works so who the hell knows.

What I DO know is that I've never been more excited for a draft in my life

Back
Top Bottom