Flawed Logic Of Tanking | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Flawed Logic Of Tanking

Nobody is building any statues to a coach and GM who get you to #1 overall pick. Any ordinary fool can do that. Plus, that is a "must fire" offense.

The accomplishment is to win, to be vigilant, urgent, diligent, to move up and get the QB. The accomplishment is to do better.

Miami literally has -

1 offensive lineman

No quarterback

A bunch of injured receivers

A volleyball player at TE

A whole slough of unfit, untalented, and underachieving players on defense

1 Cornerback

A new coaching staff

and Charles Harris.

The Dolphins aren't winning at least 6 games. Call it a tank, a rebuild, anything you want. But they aren't winning many football games.

The fan base will be happy when Tua is throwing darts all over the place.

Bingo. This is what people have to understand. When people say "tanking isn't a guarantee" well, that's true but here's what is a guarantee:

1. Miami will roll over lots of cap space
2. Miami will pick top 5 in next year's draft
3. They will be in a POSITION to draft (even if they have to trade up) to get their QB next year.

This is all you can ask for at this point. You absolutely sacrifice this season to put yourself in a great spot next year because the QB class is very promising.

Also, they should get 3rd and probably 4th round comp picks for James and Wake leaving. I also expect them to explore trading down from this year's 1st for a package of picks that includes a team's first next year. They want ammo for that draft.

Tyrod Taylor, Teddy Bridgewater; Jake Rudock it’s not going to matter. This team is devoid of talent. Sure there’s a few pieces to start with but I’ll call it a damn good coaching job to get 5 wins next year. Reality is they’ll have a top 3 pick and will be in position to land a potential top flight QB.

Now hope they don’t repeat the Long over Ryan fiasco.

Nobody is building any statues to a coach and GM who get you to #1 overall pick. Any ordinary fool can do that. Plus, that is a "must fire" offense.

The accomplishment is to win, to be vigilant, urgent, diligent, to move up and get the QB. The accomplishment is to do better.

The "accomplishment" takes assets and patience. You want to get better, you just don't fool yourself into thinking you can do that this year. Miami did that for years in free agency and they have insufficient assets to move up to #1 this year.

Actually, I disagree that "any ordinary fool" can get the #1 pick. It's hard to convince competitive coaches and GMs to play the long game and suffer through a bad season. They will be a bottom five team this year and you should be celebrating it because in a few years, you'll love watching great QB for the first time in a lonnnng time.

Miami literally has -

1 offensive lineman

No quarterback

A bunch of injured receivers

A volleyball player at TE

A whole slough of unfit, untalented, and underachieving players on defense

1 Cornerback

A new coaching staff

and Charles Harris.

The Dolphins aren't winning at least 6 games. Call it a tank, a rebuild, anything you want. But they aren't winning many football games.
Good thing there's not a game tomorrow. LOL

I know a lot of us here are tired of seeing the Dolphins lose. Some of us here weren't even here for the glory days, and all we have known our entire Miami Dolphins life is losing. So I can see why some of your reek of desperation and are clamoring for us to tank the season.

My only issue with tanking is that it does not work. Logically speaking, you cannot get better by purposefully being worse, for several reasons.

People say that the colt's tank job worked... Umm no it didn't. We went to the playoffs about the same amount of time as they have in the same time span. Try again. The Rams did not tank, they have made great off season moves since Jeff Fischer left, that is why they went to the Superbowl.

Only an idiot would see that our front office is inept at drafting and free agency and then think that the solution is to be worse.

I wonder if that was what Brian Flores learned from Bill Belichik. One day in New England, Bill pulled Brian aside and said "if you want to be great, you have to try to lose as much and as hard as you can, and then the next year you will win the Superbowl."

You reek of desperation are only going to get a rude awakening.

As a coach, how can you tell your players to lose, how do you coach them properly if you want them to lose? How do you expect them to have confidence in you if all you do is lose? You people who want the Dolphins to tank aren't real fans of the Miami Dolphins, you are fans of winning, and you don't even know how to do it correctly.

And the #1 FACT why tanking doesn't work is because if it did, the Browns would have won 3 Superbowls in this decade by now.

How about you ask that the team draft well and sign good free agents, while having a decent set of coaches to bring out a better quality in players than what we have seen? Nope! "Let's ****ing lose on purpose by putting a ****tier product on the field." Gtfoh with that loser mentality.

Stopped reading after your claim that it doesn’t work. It absolutely works if done correctly. It worked for the Colts because they landed Luck. They would not have made any playoffs since Manning without Luck. Your argument is weak because you compare the Colts playoff appearances as being the same before and after Luck. Well, you are basically stating that Luck is equal to Manning and therefore their tank job ****ing worked.

I would pull a Gruden and start trading for 2020 picks. I would go at best 1-15 next year and then trade the first pick of the 2020 draft for a high ****ing ransom. I would also draft a QB this year and in 2020. By the 2021 season we would be a playoff team.

My take is this:

I am not remotely convinced we have to get the #1 pick in the 2020 draft to solve our QB mystery!

I know some of you fervent followers believe Tua is a guaranteed NFL superstar and therefore the

certified lock @ #1. I don't pretend to be a pro talent evaluator but Tua doesn't look like a

"generational talent" to me. Of course he may be -- but he does NOT remind me of Marino

coming out, or Manning, or even Luck. Just sayin' no one knows with absolute certainty

who the next "lord" of QBs is going to be. But it is fair to say he'll be drafted somewhere

in the 1st round. But overwhelming odds are -- NOT #1 overall.

Look it up. It's a fact!

:)

Nobody who is serious can take the position that the Colts are a nowhere team like Miami has been and is. They are on the verge of being the AFC favorite and Andrew Luck is ridiculously good. Miami has been a laughingstock and a bore.

I also don’t buy into the notion that Flores is garbage if they go 2-14. They can be well coached and on an upswing even if the record is bad because of a lack of talent.

People have come on here and gotten upset and defended the franchise’s moves for years. They haven’t drafted well, they haven’t maintained the roster well and have played an idiotic game of whack a mole every offseason. It’s been plain as day for years. The roster wasn’t good last year and will be worse this year.

But if the Patriots expatriates (ex-Patriots would be too facile) come in here and keep their eye on the big picture, maybe we will see meaningful change. We can play hard, intense football, with some smarts and still get beat. Fans overrate this roster. There’s hardly a position group that’s average let alone above average. Can’t pass, can’t rush the passer, can’t stop the run, etc.

Most of us have forgotten the anticipation of prime time football or even getting ready for a big Sunday game. None of us have an unlimited number of roster cycles. We get older. Time is fleeting. It’s time to do it a different way and I applaud the offseason so far. Let’s hope they follow through with the master plan. Draft and then manage the roster professionally instead of amateurishly.

Real question-
I think following is best path but is it realistic:
2019 Draft- target BPA at OL DL Secondary.
2019 Personnel- trade / release remaining vets- continue aquisition of comp pics. Do nothing to impact comp pics.( Acquire released FAs.)
Manage a historically losing record via LIMITED QB play- limited offense.
2020:
5 premium picks in top 100-
possible 1-2 pick overall for QB.
100 million in FA

The players, coaches, & front office is not purposely trying to lose. The front office is simply playing the young guys next year, not signing any high priced free agents, & signing a stop gap qb. In turn, we should be a below average team that hopefully is in position to draft or possibly trade up for one of the top qb prospects in the 2020 draft.

I stopped reading when.........I was nauseated by all the posters out there saying they stopped reading.

That saying is sickeningly played. Can't you guys who want to disagree with the thought, come up with something else???

How about.................identifying your point of contention and making an argument against it??

No..........too difficult?

How about, just not posting the worn out drivel.

Back
Top Bottom