Flawed Logic Of Tanking | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Flawed Logic Of Tanking

Nobody who is serious can take the position that the Colts are a nowhere team like Miami has been and is. They are on the verge of being the AFC favorite and Andrew Luck is ridiculously good. Miami has been a laughingstock and a bore.

I also don’t buy into the notion that Flores is garbage if they go 2-14. They can be well coached and on an upswing even if the record is bad because of a lack of talent.

People have come on here and gotten upset and defended the franchise’s moves for years. They haven’t drafted well, they haven’t maintained the roster well and have played an idiotic game of whack a mole every offseason. It’s been plain as day for years. The roster wasn’t good last year and will be worse this year.

But if the Patriots expatriates (ex-Patriots would be too facile) come in here and keep their eye on the big picture, maybe we will see meaningful change. We can play hard, intense football, with some smarts and still get beat. Fans overrate this roster. There’s hardly a position group that’s average let alone above average. Can’t pass, can’t rush the passer, can’t stop the run, etc.

Most of us have forgotten the anticipation of prime time football or even getting ready for a big Sunday game. None of us have an unlimited number of roster cycles. We get older. Time is fleeting. It’s time to do it a different way and I applaud the offseason so far. Let’s hope they follow through with the master plan. Draft and then manage the roster professionally instead of amateurishly.
if he go 2-14 he will be next Hue Jackson.

People say that the colt's tank job worked... Umm no it didn't. We went to the playoffs about the same amount of time as they have in the same time span. Try again.

Since Luck was drafted, the colts have appeared in the playoffs following 4 seasons with a 4-4 record, highlighted by an afc title game run (2014) in which Luck beat a Denver defense, on the road, that would prove historic and carry them to the following seasons SB. Just this past season, they won a single playoff game, which is one more than Miami has won in a bazillion years.

Miami's lone appearance in that time span was as a 6 seed, in a game that was over after the 1st quarter.

These are not the same.

Last edited:
One huge issue is we are in the same conference as the Pats. The bolts would not be sniffing playoffs either if they were in this conference and we probably would appear a much better team if we were in the bolts conference.

Tua is overrated so those who are hoping we tank to pick him up I sincerely hope don't get what they wish for. He plays for a great team with great players. They play a cupcake schedule except for a couple of games a year in the regular season. In the post season, along with the great players around him, he also has Nick Saban to prepare. So tua may or may not make a great pro QB but It's not a sure bet.

Tua is overrated so those who are hoping we tank to pick him up I sincerely hope don't get what they wish for. He plays for a great team with great players. They play a cupcake schedule except for a couple of games a year in the regular season. In the post season, along with the great players around him, he also has Nick Saban to prepare. So tua may or may not make a great pro QB but It's not a sure bet.

Yeah because the SEC is a cupcake schedule and all Saban's QBs have thrown for 46 TDs in like 45 quarters of football. Good post.

Yeah because the SEC is a cupcake schedule and all Saban's QBs have thrown for 46 TDs in like 45 quarters of football. Good post.
1.to be real Tua test as qb will come in nfl. how good will he be w less talent and better defense player.??

I stopped reading when.........I was nauseated by all the posters out there saying they stopped reading.

That saying is sickeningly played. Can't you guys who want to disagree with the thought, come up with something else???

How about.................identifying your point of contention and making an argument against it??

No..........too difficult?

How about, just not posting the worn out drivel.

Overused ellipses are also worn out drivel.

This whole argument is so dumb. Anyone who thinks that tanking is a thing or that 'we are just going to lose as many games as possible to get the #1 pick' is grossly deluded.

Stephen Ross wants to win a Superbowl. It is clear that what we have been doing for the last ten or so years - bouncing around the salary cap, making a big splash in free agency now and again, patching up bad signings and/or bad contracts with other bad signings/bad contracts, lack of quality and consistency in the coaching staff, poor quality drafting - has not and will not break us out of the mediocrity of being somewhere between 6-10 and 10-6.

Ross is looking at the Browns and the Jets. For the last two or three years both have been going through a process of purging bad contracts and building a team, and both go into this season which a clear young franchise QB, good young players at key positions (and more importantly on rookie contracts in positions that are at the higher end of the pay scale) and a ****ton of money to spend in free agency. Rather than patching up in dribs and drabs year after year this gives them a good base to make a concerted push this year and a two, three and maybe four year window to make a play for a superbowl.

The answer is not and never has been to do whatever it takes to get the #1 pick and Tua in the next draft. If we go onto the draft with the #3 or #5 pick and come out with Fromm or Herbert it doesn't mean the process has failed. The Jets didn't give up on the process because they wound up with Sam Darnold instead of Baker Mayfield. If we wind up with the #8 pick and have to trade up to get Fromm or Herbert then so be it.

Will it work? Who knows? Is it risky? Yes. But the point is it's different from what we've been doing and that is why Ross wants to try it.

One huge issue is we are in the same conference as the Pats. The bolts would not be sniffing playoffs either if they were in this conference and we probably would appear a much better team if we were in the bolts conference.
The Chargers are in the Patriots' conference. You probably mean division.
I think the key to this whole thing is what several posters have mentioned: Draft picks NEXT YEAR. Do nothing to jeopardize comp picks especially now that they can be traded. Trade down whenever possible this year's draft and try to add more picks next year, whatever the round. Expect to have to trade up next year. Try to add 6-7 solid players of need this year in the trenches, CB, edge rushers. Go into next year's draft with as many picks as possible figuring a trade up may be necessary. Sometimes you gotta go get that guy- ask Andy Reid and Mahomes. We are assuming Tua is going to be a savior, but what if he has a bad year...what if he tears an ACL? He is playing on the most talented team(besides Clemson, maybe) that I can remember since maybe those Florida/Florida State teams of the late 90's. The SEC is good, but Alabama is still light years ahead of all of them. Figure a top 10 pick for next year with loads of ammo to get the job done. 1-15 would help draft status, but I'd rather see a great coaching job and feel optimistic...what does a 1-15 coaching job look like?

I stopped reading when.........I was nauseated by all the posters out there saying they stopped reading.

That saying is sickeningly played. Can't you guys who want to disagree with the thought, come up with something else???

How about.................identifying your point of contention and making an argument against it??

No..........too difficult?

How about, just not posting the worn out drivel.

I stopped reading when I saw your name.

Tyrod Taylor, Teddy Bridgewater; Jake Rudock it’s not going to matter. This team is devoid of talent. Sure there’s a few pieces to start with but I’ll call it a damn good coaching job to get 5 wins next year. Reality is they’ll have a top 3 pick and will be in position to land a potential top flight QB.

Now hope they don’t repeat the Long over Ryan fiasco.

Bingo

If Miami wins more than 3 games Flores is a great coach. This roster is bad.

That's every college quarterback issue, why single out Tua?

That kid is special and hyper accurate He'd fit right in with the NFL.

There's only one way to find out how good he'd be with less talent and better defensive players - and that's to watch somebody else draft him and see.

It's a sound philosophy the Dolphins use. They can never miss.

There's only one way to find out how good he'd be with less talent and better defensive players - and that's to watch somebody else draft him and see.

It's a sound philosophy the Dolphins use. They can never miss.

I want Tua or Trevor on this team.

They're both elite QBs that will be elite in the pros. I'm tired of taking second rate players in the draft.

Back
Top Bottom