Fletcher interference vs Lions in question... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fletcher interference vs Lions in question...

Penthos

Am I on speaker phone?
Reaction score
I read a blurb on Phinzone.com yesterday that the herald was reporting that Wanny had turned that play over the the Rules committee saying that Fletcher was called for interference while using a technique that the dolphins teach, and Wanny wants to know what was wrong with it.

Has anyone heard anything more about this, or know specifically what Fletcher did that was in question?

It looked like typical Dolphins tight coverage to me... Maybe it think it was a sympathy flag.

HE cut his route off...you can't take a players position away from him that is rightuflly his....I also didn't see him looking for the ball..in the NFL you can't face guard.

I do think it was a bogus call though...he beat him to the spot and didn't cut him off.

If you get a chance to watch that play, I think you will see that he WAS looking at the ball. Also I agree that he did beat him to the spot.

I thought Fletcher got his head around too late but as far as cutting off the route.....one of you guys who has game tape, check and see if the receiver adjusted his route.....that's what it looked like to me.....Fletcher ran a straight line and the receiver tried to go through him for the ball....almost like he was looking for the flag....hmmmm.....not Fletcher's fault, IMO.

It didn't look to me like he got his head around, but to me the route thing looked like he was just ahead of the reciever...the reciever was never 'cut off' from anything, he was still running in stride.

Madden said it best on MNF the other night...ref's need to keep the 'spirit' of a rule in mind (in this he was reffering to that terrible call in the Cleveland game).

But I do think the Fletcher call was right...unless I'm mistaken, contact was made b4 he turned his head.

I went back and looked at it. Technically speaking, I think Fletch was within the rules.

About 1 yard before the receiver ran into him he spun his head around, but not completely. You could tell Fletch KNEW he had to spin his head or draw a flag. But you couldn't say that he wasn't looking at the ball or looking for it. He would have had to cut his eyes to be able to see it, but I think he was within the rules, and I figure that is what Wanny is complaining about. The way his body was turned (toward the sideline) as he was running, he would have had to be Linda Blair to get his helmet facing the ball. Then Shroeder (looking at Fletch) ran into him. After all of that, I don't believe either one could have caught the thing anyway.

This happened in the first game last year on Surtain, albeit college (seemed like high school) officials. Maybe the officials need a few mini-camps during the off-season so that they can keep their eyes and brains in shape. These guys just get trigger happy at the beginning of every season, even if it could throw a game.

.....After all of that, I don't believe either one could have caught the thing anyway.

....which should be the key to the whole thing......how far out of bounds did the pass actually land?

Hey infinsible,

I looked like it landed dead on the back corner of the end zone or a little beyond. You can't see the ball, just the shadow.

PS: I like that picture of Wanny in your sig. It looks like he's saying to the team: I love you this much! :lol:

LOL.....i thought he was saying " I am Lord of all I see.....these are my warriors.......fear should reside in the hearts of any who stand in our way......We will not be repelled in our quest to rule the Nation of Football......Bow down and you will be spared.....Stand up, and you will be destroyed!!!!!"..........

.......or something like that.:D

The defender has as much right to the ball...

... as the WR does, credit this to an over officious REF and a SMART WR. Look for yourself here's a link to the play.

http://www.croakerlane.com/dolphins/y2002_3/09_08_detroit/fletcher02.mpg

Oliver...

Originally posted by Phinstd
HE cut his route off...you can't take a players position away from him that is rightuflly his....I also didn't see him looking for the ball..in the NFL you can't face guard.

I do think it was a bogus call though...he beat him to the spot and didn't cut him off.

I actually think the ref meant to throw the flag at the contact made around the 5 yard line. Either way, it is a horrible decision because he reaches back for the flag when Fletcher and Schroeder are at the 5 but throws the flag at the 1. Also, the contact at the 5 was by both players so no flag should have been thrown on either. The only thing I can see we possibly getting called on there is that it looks as if Fletcher started slowing down when he got in front of Schroeder so Schroeder would slow down as well. I don't, however, think it should have been called as it was very minute and it took me about 5 times in slow motion before I finally saw it.

I just saw the replay. Fletcher just runs into the receiver's path at the five and then turns his head. I think the reason the flag is thrown at the one is because of the pace of the action. Looks like a good call to me.

Oliver is croakerlane your site??

No it's not mine...

Originally posted by Merman
I just saw the replay. Fletcher just runs into the receiver's path at the five and then turns his head. I think the reason the flag is thrown at the one is because of the pace of the action. Looks like a good call to me.

Oliver is croakerlane your site??

" I am Lord of all I see.....these are my warriors.......fear should reside in the hearts of any who stand in our way......We will not be repelled in our quest to rule the Nation of Football......Bow down and you will be spared.....Stand up, and you will be destroyed!!!!!"...Now that's brilliant. I should make that my signature. Well, If we loose a game. I will put that as my signature.

crazydolfan305,

I agree! I just think infisible should make it part of the sig! Sounds like this character has played a few RPG's!

Back
Top Bottom