Fletcher Question | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fletcher Question

gulfcoastphan

Practice Squad
Reaction score
The flap over whether Fletcher will eventually develop or whether he was instead a "wasted" first round pick, often leads to talk of Drew Brees - who as we all know, was available.

But I am wondering about this from a different angle...... let's assume for a moment that Wanny was right to go with a corner......so my question is - with the benefit of hindsight, did Fins end up drafting the best available corner? Could the Fins have picked up a better CB with their first pick - who they instead passed on, for Fletcher?

Anyone remember any of the other corners in that draft, and how they have done? Not that it matters - just wondering.

Well I know Brees wasn't the best corner available and with him we would have lost Sunday.

CB's taken before Fletcher -

Nate Clements - developing very nicely with the Bills

Will Allen - Was a disappointment with the Giants last year, is getting his starting shot this year, so far, so good.

Willie Middlebrooks - Disappointment with the Broncos.

CB's taken in the 2nd round include -

Ken Lucas, Seahawks

Fred Smoot, Redskins

Andre Dyson, Titans

Thanks. Was just wondering if Fins blew it with picking HIM as a corner instead of another corner......looks like we'll have to wait and see how he develops.

It wasn't the point of my inquiry - and I said as much, but as for the Brees issue, we don't KNOW that we would have "lost with Brees" on Sunday. In Norv's offense, with Ricky, Chambers etc.? He seems to be doing pretty well so far as SD's starter this year - and he's got a lot less talent to work with than Jay.

Time will tell on THAT one.

The Fins also drafted Omre Lowe (CB-Washington) in a later round. He will be practicing (healthy) for the first time this week. If he can play better than Fletch, that would make Fletch a bust/wasted pick. However, this point may be moot if Surtain plays. According to reports, he won't practice this week but he'll go if he can on Sunday.

Originally posted by DNY
CB's taken before Fletcher -

Nate Clements - developing very nicely with the Bills

Will Allen - Was a disappointment with the Giants last year, is getting his starting shot this year, so far, so good.

Willie Middlebrooks - Disappointment with the Broncos.

CB's taken in the 2nd round include -

Ken Lucas, Seahawks

Fred Smoot, Redskins

Andre Dyson, Titans

Hindsight is 20/20... but wouldn't it be nice to have Smoot?

Would loved to have seen us pick Smoot. He is almost Deionesque. He would be competing with Madison and Surtain at the top two spots. IMO. I still have not given up on Fletch

I doubt he would have competed at the top 2 spots, but he definately would have fit in nicely if one of them is forced to leave miami.......

Smoot is mostly deionesque around the mouth. He got spun around big time by Thrash on the first play last night. I've heard the Skins are very dissappointed with the lack of progress he made between his 1st and 2nd seasons.

Generally...

... you don't decide whether a guy is a bust or not until after 3-years have passed. Especially when you are talking about draft picks. But this also applies to players in a new starting situation like Jay Fiedler.

Oliver...

Originally posted by gulfcoastphan
The flap over whether Fletcher will eventually develop or whether he was instead a "wasted" first round pick, often leads to talk of Drew Brees - who as we all know, was available.

But I am wondering about this from a different angle...... let's assume for a moment that Wanny was right to go with a corner......so my question is - with the benefit of hindsight, did Fins end up drafting the best available corner? Could the Fins have picked up a better CB with their first pick - who they instead passed on, for Fletcher?

Anyone remember any of the other corners in that draft, and how they have done? Not that it matters - just wondering.

I haven't given up on Fletch. The pro game is coming at him alot faster than he has ever seen. I think he will eventually catch on, in the meantime he needs alot of help. Bates waited too long before moving Madison over to cover Harrison. When Pat went down the move should have been made right away. Getting schooled by Harrison can't help a young players confidence. He was exposed badly and I blame the coaches. The kid wasn't up to the assignment and we hung him out to dry. T-Buck was out there and we didn't bust a move, I still don't get the thinking. This Sunday we face incredible speed in Coles and Moss and if Pat can't go we better have a scheme to protect Fletch and prevent the deep ball. A dominant pass rush would come in very handy this week. On offense I know we'll do well but let's try to avoid a shootout with a team that we have trouble beating. Ball control with Rickey,percise play-action passing( no picks please), control the clock and play ball control. On D slow down Martin, big pass rush and force some three and outs. Let the Jets wilt in the humidity. Maybe this week Fletch will show us some game. Prediction Miami 31 New York 16.GO FISH!!

You can make all the second guesses about Fletch all you want. He may develop or not. There certainly is a drop off from Madison and Surtain to Fletch. He will get picked on plenty.

THE REAL PROBLEM is how eventhough we were uncertain about Fletch, Lowe, and Green, we DIDNT get TBUCK!

No excuse for that. We didnt even give him a good offer.

Originally posted by rafael
Smoot is mostly deionesque around the mouth. He got spun around big time by Thrash on the first play last night. I've heard the Skins are very dissappointed with the lack of progress he made between his 1st and 2nd seasons.

:lol: Yeah, I saw that play too. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom