Flores Contract

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Albert Romano, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Lovethefish

Lovethefish Well-Known Member

Guys- I haven’t been able to find any confirmation of his yearly salary. It’s a 5 year deal. Would be shocked at 5/40. More likely 5/20.

2. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin PowerHungryMo'fo

The Phine over-spend on used up marginal players and go cheap on underqualified first time only coaches and staff. That's why we're 8-8 perpetually.

Ross is a cheap owner his salary structure proves it.

3. russianbear

russianbear FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Do either of those things apply to Flores? I don't think so.

I get the pattern thing, the reliance on FA, the willingness to overpay...but we've also had experiences of prudence with Landry, Vernon, Miller...

Regardless, I think we're having frustration spillover here. Flores getting 5 years here is nothing to get upset about, IMO.

4. Digital

Digital Starter Finheaven VIP

IMHO, they apply to the Dolphins negotiation strategy. Always overpaying. That is what I was addressing, our tendency … a very strong tendency since Dawn Aponte left … to overpay.

Up until this point I had attributed this negotiation flaw to Tannenbaum. But he's gone … and we're still doing it. My primary hope in getting rid of Tannenbaum was that we would return to not being complete patsies in negotiation and overpay everyone. Well … looks like that wasn't Tannenbaum's fault. Chalk that one up to Grier I guess. Strange, because it fit with Tannenbaum's pattern with the Jets, so I thought it was because of Tannenbaum.

Either way, looks like the Dolphins are still the worst negotiators in the NFL. Since Grier's thing seems to be scouting--and so far he seems to be pretty good at it--maybe we should hire a negotiator to handle that part of the job?

5. russianbear

russianbear FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

As long as we don't overpay him too :wink:

Digital likes this.
  6. Digital

Precisely! Our legacy so far isn't titles, it's as a retirement home. We take your highest priced WR, Mike Wallace, and we'll give him a record contract. We'll take your veteran LT, Branden Albert, who lives minutes from our facility, and we'll give him the best contract in free agency. We'll take your epic DT, Ndamakong Suh, and give him the biggest contract ever for a defensive player. And we'll take the cap hits when we fire them too. Who is next, Antonio Brown?

I'm fine with the 5 year contract … if we're going to tank in year 1, and we want to honestly give him and his coaching staff 3 years, that means we need to guarantee 4 years. But if I'm the agent negotiating his contract, I hold out for 5 years fully guaranteed … because I'm confident that the Dolphins will cave … and of course we do. And every agent of every player sees this as well. Lots of evidence that we can be played … so even with Tannenbaum gone, let's expect to keep getting played.

7. Csonked Out

Csonked Out FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

You cant compare overspending players to coaches as coaching salaries have no impact on the cap or team. I still have no clue why you are so worked up over this, doesnt seem like anything to worry about.

8. Digital

As a negotiator, everything you negotiate is part of your track record. This is our first post-Tannenbaum negotiation, so everyone entering negotiations with us moving forward will use this as their baseline. The Dolphins are continuing to be patsies who overpay, so play hardball and you'll eventually get what you want.

9. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Please football gods, grace us Tua or Trevor Finheaven VIP

Getting worked up over coaches pay.

Damn the offseason is annoying

Vaark and Kdawg954 like this.
  10. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 My f*ck ups be the perfect mistakes Finheaven VIP Donator

Unless you have actual proof what the max ceiling a team was willing to pay (either cap or compensation wise) in comparison to what Miami paid . . . All of these theories regarding Miami as “bad negotiators” and as “overpayers” is extremely speculative at best and and in its truest form . . . flat out inaccurate.

In fact, there are far more instances of Miami “not paying” and playing hardball and losing guys due to another team willing to give more than there are of them breaking the bank.

Miami doesn’t like to overpay. In fact the only contract that truly was an overpay was the Andre Branch deal. They resigned him because they just made the playoffs and didn’t want to lose a key piece to their ideal pass rush wide nine scheme . . . Tannenbaum went through a phase where he got guys initially cheap, they played above their pay and he felt compelled to pay handsomely to keep them . . . .but he overdid it in that situation. The main issue has always been “robbing Peter to pay Paul” via restructures.

And Comparing a coaches pay structure to a players pay structure and using it as a way to knock how the team has handled business just seems like a weak attempt to knock the team/owner. They truly have no bearing and there is no pattern between the 2. That is crazy.

Like I said before, If Ross wants to guarantee a 5th year for a coach when others only got 4 guaranteed . . . .get your damn fish Mr. Ross . . . Utilize your assets to get your man.

He certainly has wasted far more dollars allowing Tannenbaum to ruin the cap with his bomeheaded restructures. Ross will still make out like a bandit going forward now that that dude is gone.

Viggen likes this.