Flores Contract | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Flores Contract

Really irrelevant what he makes . . . .This is where having one of the top 3 wealthiest owners should play a factor.

Don't go cheap and miss out on a guy. Get your man and get the team over this hump of mediocrity.

Ross has bigger issues than a money loss if he has to fire Flores early into the deal.

Ummmm, wow, why do we always pay a premium for everything? First time head coach who wasn't even a coordinator, who has only ever coached in a coaching tree that has not had success away from Belichick … and we pay a premium of a 5th year guarantee?

We paid a premium for Branden Albert, who lived minutes away from our practice facility and we eventually jettisoned because of that bloated contract. We paid a premium for Ndamakong Suh who we eventually jettisoned because of that bloated contract. We paid a premium for Mike Wallace and endured his antics because of his contract. Are we Minnesotta? Cleveland? Are we the smallest market team in a cold weather area with nothing else to do and heavy state taxes? Those would be places that have to pay a premium.

Wow, this is not confidence building information. So our front office and organization are so undesirable that despite the great environment, weather, lack of state taxes, everything to do, we still need to pay a premium? Ugh. I miss the Joe Robbie years.

Ummmm, wow, why do we always pay a premium for everything? First time head coach who wasn't even a coordinator, who has only ever coached in a coaching tree that has not had success away from Belichick … and we pay a premium of a 5th year guarantee?

We paid a premium for Branden Albert, who lived minutes away from our practice facility and we eventually jettisoned because of that bloated contract. We paid a premium for Ndamakong Suh who we eventually jettisoned because of that bloated contract. We paid a premium for Mike Wallace and endured his antics because of his contract. Are we Minnesotta? Cleveland? Are we the smallest market team in a cold weather area with nothing else to do and heavy state taxes? Those would be places that have to pay a premium.

Wow, this is not confidence building information. So our front office and organization are so undesirable that despite the great environment, weather, lack of state taxes, everything to do, we still need to pay a premium? Ugh. I miss the Joe Robbie years.
Honest question. Why do you even care how much we pay a coach. It doesnt matter one bit in our cap. We could pay 25 million per for a coach and I could care less as it does not effect the team in any way.

Honest question. Why do you even care how much we pay a coach. It doesnt matter one bit in our cap. We could pay 25 million per for a coach and I could care less as it does not effect the team in any way.
As far as a coach, I'm fine with it, but as a long term pattern, I dislike it a great deal, because it does impact our cap.

We're selecting to be in the category of the Cleveland's that have to overpay for everything. We have paid a LOT of players too much, and eaten dead cap at the end because we mismanaged our cap. I've been against that the entire time. I've been very clear over a long time period that we're setting ourselves up to be exploited. I continue to think we need to draw lines and not just overpay every time. In fact, I'm one of the few people who would defend Dawn Aponte as to her contract negotiation. I disliked her overreaching and influencing the other football decisions, but she was our best contract negotiator by a wide margin.

It's basic. Don't overpay. Don't overcommit. There's a reason Antonio Brown wants to come to Miami … aside from the fact he lives here, and that's because we are KNOWN for overpaying … and that's not changing. I wish it would.

As far as a coach, I'm fine with it, but as a long term pattern, I dislike it a great deal, because it does impact our cap.

We're selecting to be in the category of the Cleveland's that have to overpay for everything. We have paid a LOT of players too much, and eaten dead cap at the end because we mismanaged our cap. I've been against that the entire time. I've been very clear over a long time period that we're setting ourselves up to be exploited. I continue to think we need to draw lines and not just overpay every time. In fact, I'm one of the few people who would defend Dawn Aponte as to her contract negotiation. I disliked her overreaching and influencing the other football decisions, but she was our best contract negotiator by a wide margin.

It's basic. Don't overpay. Don't overcommit. There's a reason Antonio Brown wants to come to Miami … aside from the fact he lives here, and that's because we are KNOWN for overpaying … and that's not changing. I wish it would.

I'm confused how it impacts our cap. Are you saying that the culture of overpaying players impacts our cap, or does the contract we signed with Flores have legitimate impact on our cap?

I'm of the opinion - who cares what we pay our coach.

It doesn't impact the cap but imo if you are bidding against yourself in coaching hires you are probably gonna be bidding against yourself in player personnel adds or extensions etc also. I think it can be a pattern.

and those player add things when you bid against yourself do in fact have potential cap implications.

no way I think flores should have gotten $40 mil guaranteed over 5 years out of this. seems to me like Miami bid against itself

Last edited:
I'm confused how it impacts our cap. Are you saying that the culture of overpaying players impacts our cap, or does the contract we signed with Flores have legitimate impact on our cap?

I'm of the opinion - who cares what we pay our coach.
No, I'm saying that we have a pattern … and I've been against the pattern for a long while. And I've stated it many many many many times. This is the latest iteration of a pattern. I _STILL_ don't like overpaying. We were the only team who even interviewed Flores. Every agent knows we overpay … that's what we do unfortunately. I'm hoping eventually we stop doing it.

It doesn't impact the cap but imo if you are bidding against yourself in coaching hires you are probably gonna be bidding against yourself in player personnel adds or extensions etc also. I think it's a pattern.

and those player add things when you bid against yourself do in fact have potential cap implications.

no way I think flores should have gotten $40 mil guaranteed over 5 years out of this. seems to me like Miami bid against itself

Did he actually get $8 million a year? That sounds hard to believe for a first time coach. Gruden only got 10/year.

I agree with the pattern stuff. If coaches then why not players? <Looks at current player contracts>. Yeah, I see it.

No, I'm saying that we have a pattern … and I've been against the pattern for a long while. And I've stated it many many many many times. This is the latest iteration of a pattern. I _STILL_ don't like overpaying. We were the only team who even interviewed Flores. Every agent knows we overpay … that's what we do unfortunately. I'm hoping eventually we stop doing it.
That is what happens when you try and build your core group of players through free agency. Its more so a philosophical pattern than anything.

It doesn't impact the cap but imo if you are bidding against yourself in coaching hires you are probably gonna be bidding against yourself in player personnel adds or extensions etc also. I think it can be a pattern.

Where does this $40 million come from?

Yep,
That is what happens when you try and build your core group of players through free agency. Its more so a philosophical pattern than anything.
Yep and if you continue to overpay, it is also what happens when you try to re-sign your core players after their initial 4 year rookie contract. At some point, you need to start making a plan of what these resources are worth and bargaining to get that, or accept that they are too expensive and plan for something else. When we had Dawn Aponte, we didn't overpay rookies, which was good. But, we were maybe too stingy and didn't re-sign our draft picks. We were too cheap to identify them early and offer them a 2nd contract earlier at less expensive overall terms. We could have traded more payment today for a longer term commitment and less money overall. So we had part of it right … but didn't get the whole picture in view.

Today, we just overpay everyone, then cut them and eat the dead cap. We're like a retirement home … everyone wants to come here at the end of their careers or to maximize their wealth.

All I heard was $4Mill/year which is pretty standard for new HCs. No clue where the $40 Mill ($8Mill/year) come from.

i think someone on FH mentioned it without a link.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/curran-ready-or-not-brian-flores-has-take-dolphins-job

As the de facto defensive coordinator for the Patriots, it’s reasonable to figure Brian Flores was paid about anywhere from $500,000 to $1M this year.

Now that the Dolphins have “narrowed” their search down to Flores as their next head coach, he’s going to sign a contract that will almost certainly average out at $4M per year.

Back
Top Bottom