Flores is looking legit as our Head Coach | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Flores is looking legit as our Head Coach

People can be optimistic all they want, but to pretend like the same kind of optimism over Gase’s first year didn’t exist is absurd. It’s not reality.

People keep looking at everything with the benefit of hindsight. It’s revisionist history. People pretend like this is the most competent coaching staff they’ve seen in 20 years, yet many of the same people were saying the same exact thing about Sparano and Gase after year 1.
Again, it goes back to the talent differences between the rosters of Sparano's and Gase's teams vs this roster. 42% of these guys are UDFA. They're are roughly 18-20 guys that are legitimate NFL talent. I think its fair to say that no one thought they would win a game, myself included, yet they've won 3 and most likely will finish 5-11 or 6-10.

I understand the issues with trust from this organization and they have yet to prove their ability to assemble a roster that fits their vision, most importantly that elusive QB, but the coaching staff is instilling a winning mentality which has been sorely missed for 20 years. Only need to look how they continue to fight in spite of their record and the development of players occurring.

Again, it goes back to the talent differences between the rosters of Sparano's and Gase's teams vs this roster. 42% of these guys are UDFA. They're are roughly 18-20 guys that are legitimate NFL talent. I think its fair to say that no one thought they would win a game, myself included, yet they've won 3 and most likely will finish 5-11 or 6-10.

I understand the issues with trust from this organization and they have yet to prove their ability to assemble a roster that fits their vision, most importantly that elusive QB, but the coaching staff is instilling a winning mentality which has been sorely missed for 20 years. Only need to look how they continue to fight in spite of their record and the development of players occurring.

I’m not sure why you keep bringing up the roster as if it proves anything. You have to adjust for the performance of the coach based on the roster they had.

All 3 exceeded expectations.

Flores certainly had the worst roster to work with. Expectations were any where from winless to 3 wins. So I’d say he’s exceeded those expectations.

But now account for Sparano’s and Gase’s expectations.

Sparano came in after a 1-15 season. Expectations for his first season were very low. NO ONE predicted playoffs, certainly not winning the division. Expectations were around 4 to 6 wins. Sparano greatly exceeded those expectations with the roster they had. I’d argue he exceeded them more than Flores did with this roster.

The same with Gase. His roster was better than both Sparano’s and Flores’, but not many people were predicting playoffs. Expectations were around 5 to 7 wins. He got the most of that roster and exceeded expectations.

If Flores turned a roster of 40% street free agents into a playoff team I’d agree that it was a miraculous coaching effort that signals true genius, but that’s not what happened at all.

He’s turned that roster in one that looks competent, which is commendable, and encouraging, but it’s not something so impressive that it puts Sparano and Gase’s first year to shame.

People can be optimistic all they want, but to pretend like the same kind of optimism over Gase’s first year didn’t exist is absurd. It’s not reality.

People keep looking at everything with the benefit of hindsight. It’s revisionist history. People pretend like this is the most competent coaching staff they’ve seen in 20 years, yet many of the same people were saying the same exact thing about Sparano and Gase after year 1.

So what, let them enjoy it. Stop shitting on fans hope and excitement for the future. If it doesn’t work out c’est la vie. Every post of yours is telling people how they should view things in your view. I appreciate your opinion, But get off the high and mighty stuff.

So what, let them enjoy it. Stop ****ting on fans hope and excitement for the future. If it doesn’t work out c’est la vie. Every post of yours is telling people how they should view things in your view. I appreciate your opinion, But get off the high and mighty stuff.

Ok, time to shut down the forum then. Silly me, here I thought this was a discussion board where people with differing opinions DISCUSS stuff.

Ok, time to shut down the forum then. Silly me, here I thought this was a discussion board where people with differing opinions DISCUSS stuff.

Trying to play martyr now doesn’t become you.

Trying to play martyr now doesn’t become you.

Lol, ridiculous.

Trying to play forum cop to tell people what they should or shouldn’t talk about doesn’t become you.

I’m not sure why you keep bringing up the roster as if it proves anything. You have to adjust for the performance of the coach based on the roster they had.

All 3 exceeded expectations.

Flores certainly had the worst roster to work with. Expectations were any where from winless to 3 wins. So I’d say he’s exceeded those expectations.

But now account for Sparano’s and Gase’s expectations.

Sparano came in after a 1-15 season. Expectations for his first season were very low. NO ONE predicted playoffs, certainly not winning the division. Expectations were around 4 to 6 wins. Sparano greatly exceeded those expectations with the roster they had. I’d argue he exceeded them more than Flores did with this roster.

The same with Gase. His roster was better than both Sparano’s and Flores’, but not many people were predicting playoffs. Expectations were around 5 to 7 wins. He got the most of that roster and exceeded expectations.

If Flores turned a roster of 40% street free agents into a playoff team I’d agree that it was a miraculous coaching effort that signals true genius, but that’s not what happened at all.

He’s turned that roster in one that looks competent, which is commendable, and encouraging, but it’s not something so impressive that it puts Sparano and Gase’s first year to shame.
Sparano's team made the playoffs because of the Wildcat, Tom Brady missing the entire season and a historically easy schedule. I'll give Gase some credit for getting Miami to the playoffs but Vance Joseph is a big part of that equation. His ability to motivate and communicate with the players was sorely missed when he left after that season.

Sparano's team made the playoffs because of the Wildcat, Tom Brady missing the entire season and a historically easy schedule. I'll give Gase some credit for getting Miami to the playoffs but Vance Joseph is a big part of that equation. His ability to motivate and communicate with the players was sorely missed when he left after that season.

Uh, wasn’t the wildcat part of coaching? Why shouldn’t Sparano get credit for that? He found a creative way to win with the roster he was given. And historically easy? Have you seen this year’s schedule? We’ve played almost every dreg in the league including Redskins, Chargers, Jets and soon Giants and Bengals. Some of those, like the Redskins, are historically bad teams.

Seems like you are just making excuses to **** on Sparano’s first season. It was a massive accomplishment given the circumstances. And I believe a much greater accomplishment than what Flores did this year.

Typical, deny and start counter accusations. Cool....

If you have such a problem with my posts, Finheaven has this great feature called “ignore”. Please feel free to use it.

Uh, wasn’t the wildcat part of coaching? Why shouldn’t Sparano get credit for that? He found a creative way to win with the roster he was given. And historically easy? Have you seen this year’s schedule? We’ve played almost every dreg in the league including Redskins, Chargers, Jets and soon Giants and Bengals. Some of those, like the Redskins, are historically bad teams.

Seems like you are just making excuses to **** on Sparano’s first season. It was a massive accomplishment given the circumstances. And I believe a much greater accomplishment than what Flores did this year.
No Skape I take into account all the circumstances that helped that 2009 team. It wasn't sustainable as evidenced by the following seasons Sparano was here.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

No Skape I take into account all the circumstances that helped that 2009 team. It wasn't sustainable as evidenced by the following seasons Sparano was here.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

It wasn’t sustainable because he relied on an old vet QB that year. Sound familiar? He could never develop a young franchise QB, and that was his failure.

That’s my point. The same thing will happen with Flores if he doesn’t find and develop a young QB.

It wasn’t sustainable because he relied on an old vet QB that year. Sound familiar? He could never develop a young franchise QB, and that was his failure.

That’s my point. The same thing will happen with Flores if he doesn’t find and develop a young QB.
Fair enough but that illustrates my point about a lack of player development for two decades leading up to the current staff.

The latest excuse i read, from a really popular poster, is pretty much we inherited a *weak* schedule.

Wow...:bobdole:

Back
Top Bottom