Flores is looking legit as our Head Coach | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Flores is looking legit as our Head Coach

this team is playing harder as a whole than any team under gase or philbin

I think people are viewing this with a bit of revisionist history. Gase's first year was considered an astounding success. His team grinded out close wins against teams that seemed superior on paper. He had Tannehill playing at his best until his injury and then finished off the season strong with Moore, bringing us our first playoff appearance in a decade.

It was all downhill from there, but Gase was lauded around here that first year the same way people are lauding Flores this year. Things can go downhill in a hurry and it usually depends on how the coaching staff handles the QB situation.

They are winning now with a savvy vet QB who is on his way to retirement. If they can't identify and develop a young stud QB for sustainable success, they will flame out of Miami just like every other coaching staff in the past 20 years.

Some thoughts. I have seen-

Nick Saban lie and leave for Alabama.
Cameron "fail forward."
Tony Sparano - He had heart and passion, but was never able to get the Phins into a deep playoff run. May he rest in peace.
Philbin - Yep.
Gase - The Jets now share our pain.

Now we have Flores. Over the season, we see he has been able to:

Coordinate with the Front Office.

Gets this frankenstein of a roster to give it their all and work together in his vision.

Players are not only buying into his vision, but improving as the season goes on. We now have several undrafted gems who will become the core of what the Miami Dolphins are building going into the end of this season, and into the draft/fa.

They have won 3 games when people were saying this team looked like a 1-15, 0-16 team.

With much of the roster being a complete mess going into the season.

Even if they can't win, the players damn well do every single possible option to get that win until the clock reaches zero.

You know what I see?

He has managed all this, with this roster. I can't wait until we get our draft picks and free agents. Especially once Flores gets a QB he likes, and puts him in a position to excel and win.

I see a promising coach who knows what he is doing, for the first time since I've been watching the Dolphins. I never got to see Shula coach or Marino play, but I've got the feeling Coach Flores is going to be doing incredible things with this team over the next few years.
It's a shame, you missed A Treat for us Dolphins Fans. Shula and Marino set the league on fire.

They are winning now with a savvy vet QB who is on his way to retirement. If they can't identify and develop a young stud QB for sustainable success, they will flame out of Miami just like every other coaching staff in the past 20 years.

Not sure anyone has ever attached that adjective to Fitzpatrick. The man may be very bright but his play on the field never really reflected that.

YAWN.

Wake me up when they win a game that matters. Not when the season is over vs a sub .500 team.

I think people are viewing this with a bit of revisionist history. Gase's first year was considered an astounding success. His team grinded out close wins against teams that seemed superior on paper. He had Tannehill playing at his best until his injury and then finished off the season strong with Moore, bringing us our first playoff appearance in a decade.

It was all downhill from there, but Gase was lauded around here that first year the same way people are lauding Flores this year. Things can go downhill in a hurry and it usually depends on how the coaching staff handles the QB situation.

giphy.gif

At the beginning of the season and through half of it I was all aboard the tank train. But you just can’t be upset about what’s happening here. The culture being created and the coaching being displayed is what other franchises hope and pray for and not many have it, whether they have the talent or not.

you let flo do his thing. Go win games. Just do whatever the hell it is you’ve been doing thus far.

for me, Tuas injury made it even that much easier to stop hoping for #1 pick

But, but, but... Omar Kelly hasn't been convinced yet, so doesn't Flores still suck??? I mean, Omar is the smartest football mind out there, so I'm so confused right now!

Heard some media host on CBS Sports Talk mention that Flo should be in the coach of the year conversation based on what he's done with our roster.

Just one man's take, but I think Flo has done well all things considering.

I was going to start a similar post about Flores. In a nutshell, so far I've been very impressed. The word that immediately comes to mind is resiliency. You can tell resiliency is one of his better attributes and it's rubbing off on his players and, I'm going to assume, his assistants. He has taken what amounts to, at best, a franchise team, and has actually made them respectful. In doing so he is also creating quality, cheap depth for next season. This is what I consider a major win. Getting twos and threes on the field this much, gaining that experience, being (for lack of a better word) FORCED to step up their game: this is huge for the future nucleus of the team. We'll have a few quality starters and damn good depth - something that has hurt us for years. I respect the heck out of the man for not mailing it in. I'm not a tank fan. But I was prepared for 0-16. But Flores has taken a team of mostly nobodies and has gradually turned them into a confident group of men. We even have a little swagger. This team isn't playing like a typical 3 - 9 team. They're out there having fun, competing, and hungry - even at this stage of the season. That trickles down from the coach, in my opinion. He has this team playing with confidence, believing it can win. I'm anxious to see what Flores can do when this roster starts filling out and we head into next season.

YAWN.

Wake me up when they win a game that matters. Not when the season is over vs a sub .500 team.

All games won matter my friend … I won't bore you with the reasons why … if all you want is to root for a team that's winning jump on the Ravens bandwagon … you can come back when the team matters to you

Another plus is player development. If you look at position coaches such as DB’s, receivers, and tight ends, it’s like night and day in terms of how locked in our players are and the improvements they are demonstrating.
Agree. One thing I see each week - which is absolutely something you see in NE - is that DBs become plug and play and they play intelligent - never quit on trying to rip the ball out on a catch etc. They do the little things (like on the S Parker INT on Ebron) that you didn’t see in the past and you only see on the best coaches teams. And these are mostly street / developmental players. Really impressed.

this team is playing harder as a whole than any team under gase or philbin
This too. I bring Dan Campbell up here because the same thing happened when he took over (team played hard and got more physical). I see a lot of what I loved about Campbell in this team + a more ready HC in Flores in terms of strategy etc. This is the way football is meant to be played - physically and w intelligence (few penalties/ don’t beat yourself). TNT baby!

Back
Top Bottom