Flores is looking legit as our Head Coach | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Flores is looking legit as our Head Coach

So far so good. Still hate the Minkah move and that falls completely on Flores for me, but I do like what I see. Watch the video of the locker room after a THIRD win and you would think we are headed to the playoffs. Kudos to the coaching staff for that.

I was skeptical ( and still skeptical because we have been through so many coaches) but he is growing on me and I like the improvements. Far fewer penalties than last season with Gase. Hope this continues but we will get a better read on Flores when we have more talent on the roster.

I was skeptical ( and still skeptical because we have been through so many coaches) but he is growing on me and I like the improvements. Far fewer penalties than last season with Gase. Hope this continues but we will get a better read on Flores when we have more talent on the roster.

NOT EVEN CLOSE, Miami is 4th right now and Jets are bottom 5.

I remember Gase thought it was funny when he went to a league meeting and they would show Dolphins penalties as an example. Idiot.

Heard some media host on CBS Sports Talk mention that Flo should be in the coach of the year conversation based on what he's done with our roster.

Just one man's take, but I think Flo has done well all things considering.

COTY???

Hold your horses....

downloadfile-7.gif

I think people are viewing this with a bit of revisionist history. Gase's first year was considered an astounding success. His team grinded out close wins against teams that seemed superior on paper. He had Tannehill playing at his best until his injury and then finished off the season strong with Moore, bringing us our first playoff appearance in a decade.

It was all downhill from there, but Gase was lauded around here that first year the same way people are lauding Flores this year. Things can go downhill in a hurry and it usually depends on how the coaching staff handles the QB situation.

They are winning now with a savvy vet QB who is on his way to retirement. If they can't identify and develop a young stud QB for sustainable success, they will flame out of Miami just like every other coaching staff in the past 20 years.

the difference is Gase got lucky with some huge performances from Ajayi. Gase had talent compared to what Flores has right now.

the difference is Gase got lucky with some huge performances from Ajayi. Gase had talent compared to what Flores has right now.
We watched Landry, Pouncey, Suh leave in on off-season. That's as much talent as we've seen leave this year, I mean that's proven pro-bowl talent. They'd still be the best on this team at their respective positions.

That's before the Dolphins lost Tunsil, Howard, Drake, Stills, Wake etc this year.

This guy is coaching up FA's and young players into solid pros. Can't wait to give him a huge draft.

Some thoughts. I have seen-

Nick Saban lie and leave for Alabama.
Cameron "fail forward."
Tony Sparano - He had heart and passion, but was never able to get the Phins into a deep playoff run. May he rest in peace.
Philbin - Yep.
Gase - The Jets now share our pain.

Now we have Flores. Over the season, we see he has been able to:

Coordinate with the Front Office.

Gets this frankenstein of a roster to give it their all and work together in his vision.

Players are not only buying into his vision, but improving as the season goes on. We now have several undrafted gems who will become the core of what the Miami Dolphins are building going into the end of this season, and into the draft/fa.

They have won 3 games when people were saying this team looked like a 1-15, 0-16 team.

With much of the roster being a complete mess going into the season.

Even if they can't win, the players damn well do every single possible option to get that win until the clock reaches zero.

You know what I see?

He has managed all this, with this roster. I can't wait until we get our draft picks and free agents. Especially once Flores gets a QB he likes, and puts him in a position to excel and win.

I see a promising coach who knows what he is doing, for the first time since I've been watching the Dolphins. I never got to see Shula coach or Marino play, but I've got the feeling Coach Flores is going to be doing incredible things with this team over the next few years.
no marino or shula ,that man had a arm that you wont see today

The first few games were brutal but he has the players fighting now and winning. They can now see Flo knows what he is doing. And player development Parker, Gesicki, Needham, Rowe is outstanding compared to years past. I'd like to see what he does with more talent on the roster as the bar is set quite low given the roster purge this year.

Great example of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts.

-He thinks Kallen Ballage is a good running back.

-He couldn’t figure out that Minkah Fitzpatrick who played DB his whole life was a safety.

-He green lighted wasting 2nd for Rosen then didn’t start him, then started him, then benched him after one game.

I’ll wait to give him any awards. He’s 3-9 and if he and Grier don’t crush this draft and offseason I see another 3-5 win season next year and the one after.

Some thoughts. I have seen-

Nick Saban lie and leave for Alabama.
Cameron "fail forward."
Tony Sparano - He had heart and passion, but was never able to get the Phins into a deep playoff run. May he rest in peace.
Philbin - Yep.
Gase - The Jets now share our pain.

Now we have Flores. Over the season, we see he has been able to:

Coordinate with the Front Office.

Gets this frankenstein of a roster to give it their all and work together in his vision.

Players are not only buying into his vision, but improving as the season goes on. We now have several undrafted gems who will become the core of what the Miami Dolphins are building going into the end of this season, and into the draft/fa.

They have won 3 games when people were saying this team looked like a 1-15, 0-16 team.

With much of the roster being a complete mess going into the season.

Even if they can't win, the players damn well do every single possible option to get that win until the clock reaches zero.

You know what I see?

He has managed all this, with this roster. I can't wait until we get our draft picks and free agents. Especially once Flores gets a QB he likes, and puts him in a position to excel and win.

I see a promising coach who knows what he is doing, for the first time since I've been watching the Dolphins. I never got to see Shula coach or Marino play, but I've got the feeling Coach Flores is going to be doing incredible things with this team over the next few years.
The future is starting to look very bright for Miami. I also have a little less angst about the quarterback position. I think this staff can develop talent.

Yes, of course, which is why he was able to “coach them up” to playoffs. You all make it sound like Flores is “coaching up” this decrepit roster to the playoffs.

My point is, yes 3 wins, 2 against solid teams, with this squad is a great accomplishment, but it’s not any more impressive than turning a 1-15 roster (with minimal additions other than vet QB) into an 11-5 division winner like Sparano, or turning Tannehill into a legit Top 10 QB for a stretch on the way to the first playoff appearance in a decade.

And each of those coaches eventually failed here in large part because they could never develop a young stud QB. In a way, Gase suffered from tremendously bad luck. Who knows what would have happened if Tannehill never got injured.

I didn’t even like Gase, but a lot of people want to wipe away his first year like it didn’t exist. He had an impressive first year with the Dolphins. Everything was looking up and FH was brimming with optimism at the prospects of a healthy Tannehill in year 2. The training camp injury derailed the season and all semblance of development and cohesion from one year to the next, and ended in the mess we saw in year 2 and 3.

If Flores doesn’t get and develop a young QB, his tenure will end in Miami the same way it has for every coach before him.

Last edited:
-He thinks Kallen Ballage is a good running back.

-He couldn’t figure out that Minkah Fitzpatrick who played DB his whole life was a safety.

-He green lighted wasting 2nd for Rosen then didn’t start him, then started him, then benched him after one game.

I’ll wait to give him any awards. He’s 3-9 and if he and Grier don’t crush this draft and offseason I see another 3-5 win season next year and the one after.
There's always one. Seriously? Still don't get the Minkah thing huh? Let's just beat that to death. It's not right now and it won't be tomorrow. In any case, I think the Ballage thing is the only puzzling thing left. Perhaps he has no confidence that the other backs can hold up behind this line. Hopefully we get to see what Laird/Gaskins can do. Lastly, if you're denying that Flores and this staff have done a great job of developing some talent thought to be marginal, I'm not going to change your mind. But many coaches around the league who were thought to be better sure haven't outperformed the Dolphins.

Yes, of course, which is why he was able to “coach them up” to playoffs. You all make it sound like Flores is “coaching up” this decrepit roster to the playoffs.

My point is, yes 3 wins, 2 against solid teams, with this squad is a great accomplishment, but it’s not any more impressive than turning a 1-15 roster (with minimal additions other than vet QB) into an 11-5 division winner like Sparano, or turning Tannehill into a legit Top 10 QB for a stretch on the way to the first playoff appearance in a decade.

And each of those coaches eventually failed here in large part because they could never develop a young stud QB. In a way, Gase suffered from tremendously bad luck. Who knows what would have happened if Tannehill never got injured.

I didn’t even like Gase, but a lot of people want to wipe away his first year like it didn’t exist. He had an impressive first year with the Dolphins. Everything was looking up and FH was brimming with optimism at the prospects of a healthy Tannehill in year 2. The training camp injury derailed the season and all semblance of development and cohesion from one year to the next, and ended in the mess we saw in year 2 and 3.

If Flores doesn’t get and develop a young QB, his tenure will end in Miami the same way it has for every coach before him.

Huge difference, Gase came in touting and beating his chest that he can turn Thill into a winner because he was a QB whisperer. He forced his players to work his system instead of using players at their strengths. Flores isnt doing any of that bravado crap. He may not get his QB this first time around but will field a competitive team around What QB he has. You already see signs of it now.

Back
Top Bottom