Flores Meets Shula | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Flores Meets Shula

My nephew took a picture with him right there back around Christmas.

No idea how much Flores and Shula discussed the Dolphins, but if they did I bet Flores was a little shocked by how honest Shula was in his assessment of the franchise.

If some posters don't like hearing how pitiful the organization is around here - they definitely don't want to hear Don's take. He's pretty loose lipped these days.

He's just a hater and clearly doesn't understand football.

Great pic.

Donald Francis Shula and his jaw, long a symbol of the chiseled approach to his career that produced a record 347 victories, became a part of NFL history Saturday when he was inducted into the Hall of Fame, just 50 miles southwest of Grand River, where he was born.``The jaw is prominently featured in the bust,'' Shula said, ``and that's the way it should be. When you get away from all the numbers, the jaw is the one thing people associate with me. I really like the bust.''

The bust, sculpted by Blair Buswell of Provo, Utah, was as much a hit with Shula as he was with the overflow crowd gathered outside the Hall of Fame.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-dolphinsteamshula07-story.html

No question, to almost win a super bowl with David Woodley at quarterback was a tremendous coaching job. Washington knew that they just had to take away the running game. To his credit, Woodley had played pretty well in the postseason and, at that time, he was the future at quarterback. I don't think there was anyway Shula or the Dolphins could have anticipated Dan Marino falling into their laps in the 1983 draft.

SF had superior talent and essentially had a home game in the super bowl. Miami led early, but obviously fell apart. You nailed it, the defense really struggled for the Dolphins down the stretch. I also wouldn't be surprised if the 49ers salaries were at least twice what Miami's was.
A lot of HOFers on that 49ers team.

No question, to almost win a super bowl with David Woodley at quarterback was a tremendous coaching job. Washington knew that they just had to take away the running game. To his credit, Woodley had played pretty well in the postseason and, at that time, he was the future at quarterback. I don't think there was anyway Shula or the Dolphins could have anticipated Dan Marino falling into their laps in the 1983 draft.

SF had superior talent and essentially had a home game in the super bowl. Miami led early, but obviously fell apart. You nailed it, the defense really struggled for the Dolphins down the stretch. I also wouldn't be surprised if the 49ers salaries were at least twice what Miami's was.
Years after when Woodley sadly passed away due to liver failure (he was on a donor liver for 10 years) at the age of 44, HBO did a documentary on his life. He had demons and drank when today he would have likely been diagnosed w depression or social anxiety and treated. His ex wife said he drank a case of beer the night before the SB and teammates said he reeked of it in the huddle. Poor guy did not like the spotlight - if I recall he never took his helmet off either as if it gave him some protection from the “outside world”. Very sad life.

Years after when Woodley sadly passed away due to liver failure (he was on a donor liver for 10 years) at the age of 44, HBO did a documentary on his life. He had demons and drank when today he would have likely been diagnosed w depression or social anxiety and treated. His ex wife said he drank a case of beer the night before the SB and teammates said he reeked of it in the huddle. Poor guy did not like the spotlight - if I recall he never took his helmet off either as if it gave him some protection from the “outside world”. Very sad life.
Started off with that huge touchdown pass to Cefalo, but didn't do much after that. Sad story.

Started off with that huge touchdown pass to Cefalo, but didn't do much after that. Sad story.
I can still see that play as if it was last week. Still don’t know how Cefalo got a free run to the EZ - someone on the Skins D messed up. I can also still see Fulton Walker running kickoffs back past midfield and one for a TD - had we won he probably would have been the MVP. He set a record for return yards in a SB that day. Shula got production from his KO return team that near compensated for our undersized D-line getting pushed back by the Hogs. Also, in spite of the Skins success on the ground, Theisman could not get the pass game going - we picked him 2x with 1 at about the Skins 42 (Duhe) in the 4th i believe. We went 3 and out. Some points there and perhaps we win. So close and a very underrated SB.

4 for 14 for the game and 0 for 8 in the second half
A bad outing for sure. Strock plays the 2nd half perhaps we get something going in the air. Our pass D and ST played great. Their run game was great. It was a very tense, tight game until very, very late.

A bad outing for sure. Strock plays the 2nd half perhaps we get something going in the air. Our pass D and ST played great. Their run game was great. It was a very tense, tight game until very, very late.

That SB loss burns me to this day. Joey T knocking that batted ball down to save a TD was a killer. Never sure why Shula didn't make a QB change. Woodley struggled the rest of the game after throwing the TD to Cefalo. Shula should've have put in Strock. He never hesitated to before.

Last edited:
That SB loss burns me to this day. Joey T knocking that batted ball down to save a TD was a killer. Never sure why Shula didn't make a QB change. Woodley struggled the rest of the game after throwing the TD to Cefalo. Shula should've have put in Strock. He never hesitated to before.
That was the best play Theisman made all game. And what a great play by him. It bugs me when people say “Bokamper dropped it” - it was a great pass breakup is what it was - Kim didn’t see him coming. As for Strock not getting in earlier - I think it had to do w the fact we were winning until the Riggins run in the 4th. He usually came in when we were down and needed to air it out. I do think we should have gone to him sooner.

That was the best play Theisman made all game. And what a great play by him. It bugs me when people say “Bokamper dropped it” - it was a great pass breakup is what it was - Kim didn’t see him coming. As for Strock not getting in earlier - I think it had to do w the fact we were winning until the Riggins run in the 4th. He usually came in when we were down and needed to air it out. I do think we should have gone to him sooner.

Woodley got one series after the skins made it 20-17 (3 and out I think). Strock should have come in then.

Woodley got one series after the skins made it 20-17 (3 and out I think). Strock should have come in then.
I think that’s what happened IIR. Then the skins put together a TD drive and finally got the pass game working to make it 27-17 and that was it. So close though and one of the better SBs of that era. Was a nail biter to the end.

4 for 14 for the game and 0 for 8 in the second half

Arghhh. You had to remind me. The 2nd half of that SB was torture. Woodley was nothing more than a poor man’s Tim Tebow. He had no business being a starting QB in the NFL

Back
Top Bottom