Flores Meets Shula | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Flores Meets Shula

Arghhh. You had to remind me. The 2nd half of that SB was torture. Woodley was nothing more than a poor man’s Tim Tebow. He had no business being a starting QB in the NFL
Thing is he was an 8th round pick or so - and I believe he holds the record for QB winning % as a starter in team history. Shula was brilliant when we had Woodley in manufacturing wins around his D and run game while maximizing his athletic QBs skills (remember him catching a TD from Nathan or Vigorito?) vs the Jets? Using Strock in spot duty to spark the O. While he had no business being an NFL QB, he wound up in a great situation where he was eased in w Griese still on the team and then punted out once Marino got on the field. RIP David Woodley. Very sad story and I guess I’ll always have a soft spot for him because I think the big stage he managed to play on actually made his undiagnosed anxiety situation worse.

Was like a punch in the stomach to lose that game! The 49ers loss was easier to take because they just kicked our ***. Washington did not.
Yeah, the Skins game hurt for...still hurts actually when you see replays from it. The miners game - well, easier to swallow as you said. Just out classed.

Years after when Woodley sadly passed away due to liver failure (he was on a donor liver for 10 years) at the age of 44, HBO did a documentary on his life. He had demons and drank when today he would have likely been diagnosed w depression or social anxiety and treated. His ex wife said he drank a case of beer the night before the SB and teammates said he reeked of it in the huddle. Poor guy did not like the spotlight - if I recall he never took his helmet off either as if it gave him some protection from the “outside world”. Very sad life.
We wish Tannehill could have been what woodley was, a Super Bowl qb

Back
Top Bottom