Flores not sure Xavien Howard will be at camp. | Page 38 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Flores not sure Xavien Howard will be at camp.

It unprecedented for a reason. The organization understands, I believe, this type of move puts them in a comprising negotiating perspective going forward if they grant this type of move to Howard. It opens the door for other players and their agents as exhibit A.
i don't know if rewarding the best player on the team, the best cornerback in the league, and one of the best defensive players in the league really opens any doors for any other (lesser) players.

though they may try!

i guess if you're loaded with Xavien-caliber guys it could be a problem, but unfortunately we are not.

How far do you bend when confronted by an egotistical and selfish, yet talented player?

Does giving in to blackmail make your team weaker over time?

Howard is an excellent player, but when does the distraction and his me-first attitude start hurting you more than it helps?

I wish I could answer these questions with quantifiable answers, but since no one can, i sure hope someone gives us a big offer.
I can say that his
****ing Howard. Unnecessary distraction.
If you’re going to pay any player I’m going to pay a cb that got you 10 ints.

And, he’s not obligated to be the stud in our secondary.

Once again, in the NFL nobody’s contract is guaranteed. Smart teams keep their elite players happy and performing.

So did NE keep giving raises every year when they were winning superbowls every year? Didn't their star player keep taking pay cuts or restructures to help his team?

Howard does not deserve a raise already regardless of what he did last year.

We give him his raise. Due to his raise we can't extend Giesecki. Oh no, Howard blew out his knee, and will.miss 7 games.

Now another lost season for Howard and we lose Gisecki for what? Because a guy wanted a raise after 1 year of his contract? Oh yeah, now Howard is a year older with a new surgery and most likely will start declining.

Oh snap. Now after losing Gisecki we miss out on a stud FA because we are paying Howard money to rehab his knee. Sorry Ogbah, you gotta walk. We can't afford yah now. We'll, we can, after we cut Byron Jones

Nope, not worth it for me.

Do the Dolphins get to demand a renegotiating at that point? Is that how it works now?

Sign a 5 year contract. But really it means nothing. If you suck, the team will demand a new contract. Career year? Ask for a raise.

Show me you can stay healthy another season, then, when the cap space goes back up you can get paid.

Very short sided. He could wait a year and get paid. But of course not, why would he

Because they got a lot of upfront money and then promptly were injured?

But ok... how much should these players be expected to get, and would it be okay if other players had to be cut in order to come up with the money?
Already proved this nonsense. Miami rolled over 15M of unused cap last year. I get you think you are the contract expert...but alas you are not.

Already proved this nonsense. Miami rolled over 15M of unused cap last year. I get you think you are the contract expert...but alas you are not.
News flash!

We are transitioning from a team who had so much money that we threw it at every FA who'd take it, just to get near the cap... we even had money left...

To a team that spent it all.

Now some propose that we spend next year's allotment on a player now... too.

Bad gamblers... 'All in' on the first year's hand.

Did this greedy douche demand a pay raise after the 2019 season?

Unless we get a Ramsey or Adams like return, he can suck up being a top 5 paid player for his position or sit at home and collect nothing.

Consider this:

You go into work every day with a guy that isn’t nearly as good as you at your job. Except he gets paid significantly more than you. How happy are you there?

View attachment 79076

And, some of y’all are pissed that another is attempting to be paid his worth.
No one made him sign a RECORD deal at the time.
And news flash when Jones was signed, Howard was sitting on his ass with another injury because up until last year, he couldn’t stay healthy for a full season.

If he’s this petty over a few dollars in a state with no income tax, I hope he’s traded to a team with a high tax and sees his greedy ass take a huge hit.

Do any elite teams have this happen? No

Because their elite players care more about winning than if a team mate makes slightly more than them.

Did this greedy douche demand a pay raise after the 2019 season?

Unless we get a Ramsey or Adams like return, he can suck up being a top 5 paid player for his position or sit at home and collect nothing.
Oh, it's much worse than collecting nothing. Not sure of the exact dollar figure but pretty sure The Dolphins can start fining him as well for missing practices and even steeper fines for missing games.

If he’s this petty over a few dollars in a state with no income tax, I hope he’s traded to a team with a high tax and sees his greedy *** take a huge hit.

Do any elite teams have this happen? No

Because their elite players care more about winning than if a team mate makes slightly more than them.
Over a few $$$? He goes from $12 million to zero guaranteed money after this season. That's a big drop. If he and his agent want to get that addressed why shouldn't they want to do it now after he had a defensive MVP type of season. It's obvious his asking value after a year like the 2020 season could drop next summer even if he has a very good season with 7 or 8 ints. If you're going lookto address that zero guaranteed $$$ issue resolved, why not do it when your value is up? As it stands now, if Howard get's injured this season he could get cut and get nothing in 2022. Players understandably don't like being in that situation. It's like taking a chance on a dangerous job and not having life or health insurance for the year. Sure you might not need it, but if something happens you would feel better if you had it covered. Sounds like good business to me. And as we've said before he can ask or hold out as much as he likes , but the team isn't obligated to address or amend his current contract. He's not going to sit out the regular season and miss out on $12 million. The three realistic options are 1) trade him. 2) Say no to his demand and have a unhappy camper on your hand in 2020. 3) Restructure his deal and everybody is happygoing into the 2021 season.

Last edited:
Oh, it's much worse than collecting nothing. Not sure of the exact dollar figure but pretty sure The Dolphins can start fining him as well for missing practices and even steeper fines for missing games.
93k so far, 50k for each missed day when camp starts.

Over a few $$$? He goes from $12 million to zero guaranteed money after this season. That's a big drop. If he and his agent want to get that addressed why shouldn't they want to do it now after he had a defensive MVP type of season. It's obvious his asking value after a year like the 2020 season could drop next summer even if he has a very good season with 7 or 8 ints. If you're going lookto address that zero guaranteed $$$ issue resolved, why not do it when your value is up? As it stands now, if Howard get's injured this season he could get cut and get nothing in 2022. Players understandably don't like being in that situation. It's like taking a chance on a dangerous job and not having life or health insurance for the year. Sure you might not need it, but if something happens you would feel better if you had it covered. Sounds like good business to me. And as we've said before he can ask or hold out as much as he likes , but the team isn't obligated to address or amend his current contract. He's not going to sit out the regular season and miss out on $12 million. The three realistic options are 1) trade him. 2) Say no to his demand and have a unhappy camper on your hand in 2020. 3) Restructure his deal and everybody is happygoing into the 2021 season.
Exactly this. Everything is response to their own speculation:

No one knows what he’s asking for, but if he’s just asking for additional guaranteed money - which considering he played through the entire season, is just saying “just show me some goodwill” then there is nothing wrong with that.

A team like the Raiders or Philadelphia may be willing to trade a first rounder for him

Yes. I absolutely love X! But he has played only two full seasons. He is an absolute stud, but his value is never going to be higher and can they keep chasing the raises? If the Eagles bite, it could be a potential top 5. Raiders, a possible top 10. All that said, the man deserves to get paid and I love him in a Dolphins uniform!

I can understand the argument against bumping his contract but he is a top player to have in your team. Will we be closer to our dream without him snd some picks or with him and keep adding to the talent. we can surely make it work.

he was immense last season, give him his credit.

He is worth the money, and I got no problem making him the highest paid CB in the league, but wanting to renegotiate after 1 year of his new contract is no good.
That's the stickler for me.

Back
Top Bottom