Flores Post Game PC | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Flores Post Game PC

He got a 5 year guaranteed contract for precisely this reason. He knew exactly how rough this year would be and wanted the security if he would take the job.

People need to CHILL out a bit. A tank job sounds great until the season actually starts, then everyone loses their damn minds. Just chill
Exactly...as long as we dont lose by 40 pts every game this year, Flores gets a complete pass this yr no matter what.

I wouldnt be surprised if Grier kept him in the loop before every move was made. This season was gonna suck anyways, everyone should have grasped that a long time ago.

Hard to believe people have already turned on him. I knew we were going to be bad. But this team needed a real rebuilt and it's going to suck this year. I'll wait at least till the middle of the season to see how the young players are doing....lol
I never liked the hiring in the first place. Still don't.

All this talk about his 5 year contract doesn’t really matter, to be honest. If this team looks the same in week 1 as they do in week 17, with no real improvement and no signs of development among our young players, then Flores won’t be here in 2020.

I personally don’t see that happening, but if it did, Ross would have to show him the door, shitty roster or not. Tanking season or not.

Speaking of Ross, after yesterday’s debacle and the meltdown in the fanbase that predictably ensued, I do wonder if at some point (if things don’t start to look better) Ross will experience some sort of cognitive dissonance.

He was the one who led the charge for Grier to blow this whole thing up, but I’m not sure Ross will endure 15 more weeks of what we saw yesterday. Don’t think he has the stomach for it.

And if that were the case, it wouldn’t surprise me if he decided to do something drastic by the end of the season, like firing the entire coaching staff.

But then you have to wonder, who picked this coaching staff in the first place? And the answer to that is Chris Grier. Which would make things pretty interesting.

If you ask me, I think Grier has done an excellent job executing Ross’ plan. He got rid of the bad contracts, he got compensation for players no one expected we would (i.e. Tannehill), he’s been stockpiling high draft picks left and right. He built the worst NFL roster in what may be the history of this league, virtually guaranteeing that the Dolphins will get that #1 pick.

Ross couldn’t possibly blame him for any of what’s happening, except for one thing: If Flores turns out to be a dud, if the team doesn’t really make any progress throughout the season and they continue to look unprepared and lost, if the players (even the young ones) stop believing in Flores’ leadership and completely give up, then you have to make a change. But if that’s the case, then how can Ross trust Grier to make the right choices for this organization in the future, if he can’t pick the right coach for this rebuild?

I’m fascinated by this whole thing, to be honest. Because I think it’s definitely not as black and white as many people are making it out to be. Tanking is not a bulletproof plan, but it’s also not a bad approach after years of being stuck in mediocrity.

But the thing is, even if you say that no coaching staff could be properly evaluated with this mess of a roster, I disagree.

Like I said, if this team doesn’t show any semblance of improvement throughout the season, and the blowouts continue to happen not just on the road, but at home too, then there’s no guarantee that Ross won’t fire Flores and co. Absolutely none. Even if this was his initial plan all along.

But then the question is: Do you also fire the guy who picked Flores to lead this team?

It’ll be interesting to watch unfold. I just hope that Flores proves to be the guy we've been sold as the leader that this team was needing. But if he isn't, then that five year contract will not matter, at all.

There's being bad and there's being embarrassing. Losses like Sunday's almost never happen in the NFL. And be honest, the game wasn't even as close as the score. The Dolphins weren't just outclassed in terms of talent (which we all knew would be the case). They were outworked. They were outtoughed. They were outdisciplined. And by a wiiiiiiide margin.

I can handle losing, but give me something where I can see a culture being built. That you'll beat us, but you know you played us.

We weren't like a JV team playing the varsity. We were like a junior high team. For that to be your very first game, for that to be the tone you set, to come out completely unready to play ... I think you have to be the most desperate fan to say "hey, we knew it would be this way." No, we didn't. Remember that Cleveland Browns team that went 0-16. It lost by three to the Steelers in Week 1. It lost five games by more than 14 and its biggest margin of defeat was 24.

I'm sorry to crush some people's dreams so quickly, but let's be realistic. Tank or not, performances like Sunday's are unacceptable. If you want to win eventually, performances like that have to be unacceptable.

Last edited:
Boy does he have a hole to dig out of.

Say what you want as an excuse for Flores in regards to tanking but dont use that as a excuse for plain failure.

Flores and his development is as important going forward as all these draft picks we aquired.

We can be building a great defense while tanking as a team on offense or vice versa. These replacements we bring in should be better than the talent kicked to the door if we are good talent evaluators. This game is certainly as bad as it should ever get for Flores and if not we got the wrong guy.

If we see this same performance 8 weeks from now its time to move on. I am not talking about winning either. I talking about not playing dudes out of position and shemes that work for the players we have.

All this yaking about tanking and using it as a excuse to accept failure to perhaps keep a coach that is in over his head would be like taking next years top pick and spending it on a kicker. Insane.

He got a 5 year guaranteed contract for precisely this reason. He knew exactly how rough this year would be and wanted the security if he would take the job.

People need to CHILL out a bit. A tank job sounds great until the season actually starts, then everyone loses their damn minds. Just chill
Couldn’t have said it better myself. All these sky is falling posts are getting out of hand, everyone knew what this team was going to be like, EVERYONE. Some just chose to ignore it and believe this team was better than they really are.

I'll add one other thing to my previous post ... the 2017 Browns roster might actually be worse than our current roster. The quarterbacks were Kevin Hogan, Cody Kessler and DeShone Kizer. Still, they were much more competitive in every game than the Dolphins were in their opener.

No excuses and took the blame for everything. Like it. Now … how does he improve it?

Apparently, people wanted a "tank", but with only one to three point losses.

I'm certainly not happy about the way things went yesterday, particularly defensively, but I will give it some time before I start calling for firings.

I'm not upset about the O-line, the offense in general, or getting outplayed physically.

I am pissed that, defensively, we didn't appear to be assignment or technique sound.

Don't know if it's players or coaches. I suspect it's a combination of both.

I also find it inexcusable that many players appeared to give up, or not care.

I have lost a lot of respect for MF in particular. Not only from yesterday, but through the offseason, in general.

He is an LB coach, bottomline. He was on the bottom of my list of the people the Dolphins reached out to for the position.

These were my first impressions:

• Too timid to be a successful HC. Gives me a Todd Bowles vibe.
  • In the 3rd video at the 1:55 mark says that because of his less boisterous nature he didn't always view himself as a leader. That changed when Belichick told him 10 years ago that "if you work hard and put the team first you are a leader." While that may cut it to lead a unit, I don't think that cuts it to lead an entire team. He just seems to lack confidence to me, which is always a bad sign for a HC candidate
  • Does appear to have a strong work ethic, but IMO does not appear to have the command to lead an entire team. Seems like a career coordinator type to me.
---

I warmed up to him a bit once the hire was made because of his story, and seeing the NE performance in the super bowl, but I just can't shake the feeling that he is in over his head. I got the same sense for Philbin early.

I kind of feel bad for him. This will be brutal season for him and I'm not sure his rep recovers unfortunately.

Agreed

Best post-game post I've read yet!! Thank you

When Phil steps out of the shadows and actually makes a post...

Things just got real.

I'll add one other thing to my previous post ... the 2017 Browns roster might actually be worse than our current roster. The quarterbacks were Kevin Hogan, Cody Kessler and DeShone Kizer. Still, they were much more competitive in every game than the Dolphins were in their opener.
Hahaha that’s one horrendous slew of QBs.

No excuses and took the blame for everything. Like it. Now … how does he improve it?

he has no idea, and a locker room that doesn't seem interested in hearing it anyway.

Back
Top Bottom