Flores Versus Gase

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by SF Dolphin Fan, Aug 11, 2019.

1. phins_4_ever

phins_4_ever E12 FH Tailgate Gang Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

I think so too. They will ride the first year wave just like us and maybe push to 10-6 with maybe a playoff spot and then the Gase collapse will happen. Darnold better get used to no audibles, no changing plays, lots of throws behind the LOS, dump offs. His stats will look decent but the results will be negligible.

Personally I am more interested how often and how much Flores will piss off the Patriots over the next decade. :nah:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  2. meatpardle

meatpardle Well-Known Member

That was probably the least enthusiastic 'pouce' on record. Wasn't he their seventh choice, or something like that?

GUH-sick-EE likes this.
  3. fansinceGWilson

fansinceGWilson FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Not just fundamentals. With Gase, fans saw RT call a (rare) audible and then go down the OL pointing out the assignments. Players didn't know assignments. On D, no better. 3 guys covering one receiver and one receiver out of eyesight of a defender. Players didn't know assignments.

Gase would have a very good game plan 2-3 times a year (and I suspect a good game plan against Miami) and, apparently NONE the other 13-14. No adjustments. IIRC, some CBs said they knew routes by formation. How many negatives do fans need.

Is Flo better? remains to be seen, but the hints are there. Reducing penalties, players knowing assignments, and mediocre OC/DC (at worst) will help considerably.

AZStryker, Ray R, Avigatorx and 2 others like this.
  4. jazz015

jazz015 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I don't think it is a very fair evaluation. But if I'm basing it off their starts here I'm saying Flores looks much better than Gase. My observations are as follows.

1. Flores thought outside the box with his coaching hires. Between his new England assistants he felt confident enough to grab guys he felt could bring sustainability to the franchise. Granted our o-line coach and Jim Caldwell were let go (Caldwell departure is not on him. Gase struggled to hire anyone outside of his friends and family. leading to short, half-effort coaching searches.

2. Flores has remained and held everyone accountable. He admitted to the team the first week that he hired the wrong coach and removed him. He holds everyone to the same standard coach or 0layer. Gase tried to be one of the guys and it backfired by creating a lazy and hostile environment.

3. Flores welcomes challenging figures in his locker room. Although the results are to be determined, Gase and his predecessors were afraid of players they considered disruptions. in a room of 53 guys you will never have all of them could be great people.

4. Flores accepts the challenge of being a head coach so far. Gase was busy playing o-coordinator for three years. he failed to see and entire team and felt everything would fix itself if his friends were put in those positions

SF Dolphin Fan likes this.
  5. *Demi*God*

*Demi*God* A True Fan

I think if Gase would have been able to hire Fangio he would have been able to stay hands off on the defend like he wanted...

Ray R likes this.
  6. Wishfishin

Wishfishin Waterboy

Fangio knew better than to hitch his wagon to Gase.

CoryMatthews likes this.
  7. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team Finheaven VIP

Narcissism-the pursuit of gratification from VANITY or EGOTISTIC admiration of one's idealized self image and attributes. That describes Gase to a tea. He always has to pull that smartest guy in the room garbage and that will be his undoing. The Jets have a great young QB in Darnold, they have Bell at RB and he's a star in the NFL and they have a pretty decent defense. They have Kalil at C, Brian Winters at G and Kelechi Osemele at the other G and what I'm saying is that the Jets o-line is way better than ours. So, because they have a pretty good group of players Gase will be made to look good. But, he'll screw it up because he won't be able to get along with his star players. Gase is a one trick pony who is so lucky to have another Head Coach job after the way he screwed up down here, he should kiss the ground and his big time agent Jimmy Sexton. He won't last long in New York because when things go bad they'll rip into him with a vengeance that will send him running back to Peyton.

Now, Coach Flores, that's a real man and a real football coach from top to bottom, stem to stern and soup to nuts. I'm really pulling for him. I think he brings the leadership qualities this team has lacked. He brings a no nonsense toughness that is wonderful to see down here again. He brings a bunch of experience coaching Super Bowl winning defenses. I believe he's the kind of guy that I would trust with the keys to my favorite team. I think he'll build something down here. It may take time because he's going to do it brick by brick but when it's complete we'll be proud for a long time. Coach Flo is 100% substance, Coach Goose, all flash, finesse and smoke and mirrors. Give me a coach that wants to beat the other teams brains out from the opening gun, not a guy who wants to keep it close and have a shot in the 4th quarter! That's horse **** football.

8. DZimmer000

DZimmer000 BJJ Black Belt

Look, I was excited when we got Gase. Very happy about it. And..... We know how that ended up.

Then, I was disappointed we got Flores. I didn‘t want a NE former anything leading this team. Early returns are he might be an amazing coach when he gets some talent.

With all that said...... I have no right to comment on anything to do with ccoaching. That is all.

KBEE and Ray R like this.
  9. mwestberry

mwestberry FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

With Gase my eyes saw players confused and too often looking like a team that hasn't played before... they looked like amateurs... undisciplined... it was hard to watch (not always but often)

I watched the replay of last weeks contest and, at least for now, didn't see that at all

It's not a good measuring stick (3 yrs. vs. 1 game) but here's hoping we have a coach that his focus is on the details and fundamentals … from that base we can build successfully

I absolutely love the fact Gase went to the Jets... it gave me added passion for the rivalry and another reason to hate the Jets

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

I hope so. It's an encouraging start.

PhinFan1968 likes this.
  11. SF Dolphin Fan

Lol. I don't think he was their first choice. Wasn't it McCarthy? Anyway, they landed him quickly which did surprise me.

12. AdamC13

AdamC13 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Another clear difference between the two:

Gase has bulging eyes
    gase2.jpg

Flores has bulging muscles
    flores.jpg

Wishfishin likes this.
  13. GUH-sick-EE

GUH-sick-EE Well-Known Member

Ten bucks says there's drama between Gase and Bell by Thanksgiving, if not before. Jets are gonna lose a bunch of money on that contract.

Flores seems like the perfect coach for a rebuild. If he actually has the smarts to stay once the team is brimming with disciplined young talent remains to be seen. I'm pulling for him.

14. Ray R

Ray R FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

As I recall, the Bears wouldn't let him leave.

15. SF Dolphin Fan

I wonder if Gase gives Bell six carries a game. What players will he under-utilize in NY? For Miami is was Stills and Drake and, to some degree, Grant.