Flores Versus Gase | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Flores Versus Gase

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Let's face it this will be a debate at least for a year or so. Did Miami make the right move? Who is the better coach? The fact that the two will face each other twice a season makes it even more interesting. The Dolphins/Jets rivalry will be more fun to watch.

Gase started well with Miami somehow going 10-6 and getting the Dolphins to the playoffs in his first season. He seemingly hit all the right buttons and definitely appeared to be the answer in Miami. Year two went badly as the running game that had blossomed somewhat in 2016 went south, Tannehill was hurt, Cutler mostly stunk, the defense mostly stunk etc.

By year three, many fans expected to see Gase's vision take place but it didn't really materialize. After a terrible finish, losing their final three games Gase was gone. The NYJ pounced hiring Gase as their new head coach. Honestly, that Gase landed a HC job so quickly surprised me. I thought he'd get a gig as a coordinator, but lets see where it goes.

Early on in NY things appear at least a little "rough around the edges" for Gase. I think there's a good chance the team implodes quickly with him there, but the Jets do have talent including a young quarterback who played well down the stretch last year.

My biggest gripes with Gase were that he never made his vision come to fruition on offense. You can certainly argue that he didn't have the pieces, especially on the offensive line. I still don't know what his vision was for the defense. I assumed he's be similar to Nick Saban/John Fox on that side of the ball, but he didn't put his prints on defense at all. As many players said, they never saw Gase in the defensive meetings.

Flores was a surprise hire for me. I didn't know much about him coming in. We may not know for awhile if he's the answer either. But I will say I like everything I'm hearing about him and from him. During his first presser when he spoke about being multiple and having the ability to match up versus different styles, I felt he had it right. That's the NFL game today. He also talked about being more physical what stood out about Miami to me when I first became a Dolphins fan. That and smart players.

Flores seems to be moving Miami in the right direction. I like that he has been working with both the defense and the offense. That was a piece that was missing with Gase.

Of course, the proof is in the pudding. Flores hasn't coached his first regular season game yet. Gase, despite his shortcomings, had a near .500 record in three seasons. Perhaps he has learned from his stint in Miami. Time will tell.

I never liked that Gase didn’t pay any attention to the defense, he hired novices to run it.

I predict Flores will have more sustained success as a HC than Gase. Why? Because I think he understands fundamentals, has a vision for what he wants and will shape the team to be “smart”.

Let's face it this will be a debate at least for a year or so. Did Miami make the right move? Who is the better coach? The fact that the two will face each other twice a season makes it even more interesting. The Dolphins/Jets rivalry will be more fun to watch.

Gase started well with Miami somehow going 10-6 and getting the Dolphins to the playoffs in his first season. He seemingly hit all the right buttons and definitely appeared to be the answer in Miami. Year two went badly as the running game that had blossomed somewhat in 2016 went south, Tannehill was hurt, Cutler mostly stunk, the defense mostly stunk etc.

By year three, many fans expected to see Gase's vision take place but it didn't really materialize. After a terrible finish, losing their final three games Gase was gone. The NYJ pounced hiring Gase as their new head coach. Honestly, that Gase landed a HC job so quickly surprised me. I thought he'd get a gig as a coordinator, but lets see where it goes.

Early on in NY things appear at least a little "rough around the edges" for Gase. I think there's a good chance the team implodes quickly with him there, but the Jets do have talent including a young quarterback who played well down the stretch last year.

My biggest gripes with Gase were that he never made his vision come to fruition on offense. You can certainly argue that he didn't have the pieces, especially on the offensive line. I still don't know what his vision was for the defense. I assumed he's be similar to Nick Saban/John Fox on that side of the ball, but he didn't put his prints on defense at all. As many players said, they never saw Gase in the defensive meetings.

Flores was a surprise hire for me. I didn't know much about him coming in. We may not know for awhile if he's the answer either. But I will say I like everything I'm hearing about him and from him. During his first presser when he spoke about being multiple and having the ability to match up versus different styles, I felt he had it right. That's the NFL game today. He also talked about being more physical what stood out about Miami to me when I first became a Dolphins fan. That and smart players.

Flores seems to be moving Miami in the right direction. I like that he has been working with both the defense and the offense. That was a piece that was missing with Gase.

Of course, the proof is in the pudding. Flores hasn't coached his first regular season game yet.
Gase, despite his shortcomings, had a near .500 record in three seasons. Perhaps he has learned from his stint in Miami. Time will tell.

That's the correct answer.

well the Jets have a win total of 7.5 while the finz sit at 4.5. Either Gase is a better coach or all these people talking about this team having the talent to win 7/8 games are full of it.

I never liked that Gase didn’t pay any attention to the defense, he hired novices to run it.

I predict Flores will have more sustained success as a HC than Gase. Why? Because I think he understands fundamentals, has a vision for what he wants and will shape the team to be “smart”.
Flores definitely has a much clearer vision than Gase did. It will be interesting now to see how that plays out.

well the Jets have a win total of 7.5 while the finz sit at 4.5. Either Gase is a better coach or all these people talking about this team having the talent to win 7/8 games are full of it.
Hiring Gregg Williams looks like a good move for Gase. He needed a proven defensive coordinator in Miami but didn't hire one, which I think was one of his biggest mistakes. I feel like Gase still has a lot to learn. That is why I thought he'd be a coordinator and then eventually be hired again as a head coach. There were a few sparks here and there with Gase on offense and obviously his record wasn't terrible.

Gase, supposedly, has a good offensive mind, but there is so much more to being a HC. He wasn't qualified when we hired him. Just look at his prior resume.

He had zero knowledge, or interest in defense. He wasn't a very good gameday playcaller. He was clueless about using players to their strengths (other than maybe Wilson and Gore). His game planning was woefully bad, as evidenced by our notoriously slow starts.

I could go on, but why?

He probably did learn a few things while he was here, and may do better with the jests, but I doubt it.

The jets have more talent then Miami does and that starts and ends on the lines
That has beem true for at least a decade. It hasn't made them a better "team", even through the Gase/Philbin eras.

Think about that. Makes one scratch his head (proverbially), doesnt it.

Gase is a horrific head coach. Is this a serious debate? I know I'm not the only one that laughed his ass off when the Jets signed him. I cannot wait for the implosion. Then I hope he replaces Belicheat in New England.

The 10-6 season was built on beating the bottom 10 teams in league, barely. Similar to Miami's schedule when they finished 11-5 in 2008.

Good job beating the bottom of the barrel teams in close games during those seasons, but got exposed in Wild Card games and not sustainable as the following seasons showed when facing tougher schedule.

It will definitely be interesting.

Gase has more swagger than substance, while Flores appears to be all about substance & character.

I think Gase probably inherited too much swagger from Saban & Manning for his own good.

He has a MUCH better DC than he did when he was here, that much is obvious.

He also has a QB that is gifted in ways that RT couldn't even dream of being.

In his wildest dreams, on his BD night...

where he is playing his best game and everything falls perfectly into place...

RT would still be just a tiny fraction of the QB that Darnold is.

I'm pumped up, this will be a hell of a rivalry.

Flores and Gase have a few things in common.

They both had Hall of Fame QBs on their teams when they were coaches & coordinators.

They both coached under Hall of Fame head Coaches.

The #1 trait Flores has, that has me inspired for the future of the team, is his teaching ability, followed closely by my second favorite trait, discipline and accountability. Coaches can come up under a guy like BB, follow what he tells them to do as far as planning and schemes, but I don't know if they really excel in the teaching aspect of the job, like Flores obviously does. I didn't get that feel from Patricia or a few of the other coordinators that went elsewhere and sucked.

Back
Top Bottom