Flores Versus Gase | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Flores Versus Gase

I felt Gases' downfall was his arrogance and egomaniac personality. Flores doesn't strike me as an arrogant and egotistical man. For all his noted Offensive genius, Gase never consistently got the offense going in Miami. He had his moments, especially when Ajayi was running well in 2016. The behind the scenes power plays were another turning point in Gases' downfall. Cutler to be exact. That was a desperate move for an ego maniac looking to win now. Flores at least, seems to understand, the long term views of the organization and realizes it may be a few years before anything pays off. I like his demeanor, humbleness and his ability to incorporate all aspects of his coaching and scouting acronym into his leadership ability. On the surface Flores looks to be a sleeper type hire, that could eventually pay big dividends. Something Gases' win now attitude, would never let him do. He self destructed.

Gase was fixated on his genius and his ability to create mis-matches on Offense. It looked good when they worked but too often we weren't doing the basics. I see Brian Flores as more disciplined and structured in the way he is going about the job. Where Gase was one-dimensional in just focusing on Offense, I expect that Flores has a clearer understanding on balancing his team focus because he has been personally mentored and developed by the best, Bill Belichick.

It will definitely be interesting.

Gase has more swagger than substance, while Flores appears to be all about substance & character.

I think Gase probably inherited too much swagger from Saban & Manning for his own good.

He has a MUCH better DC than he did when he was here, that much is obvious.

He also has a QB that is gifted in ways that RT couldn't even dream of being.

In his wildest dreams, on his BD night...

where he is playing his best game and everything falls perfectly into place...

RT would still be just a tiny fraction of the QB that Darnold is.

I'm pumped up, this will be a hell of a rivalry.

Flores and Gase have a few things in common.

They both had Hall of Fame QBs on their teams when they were coaches & coordinators.

They both coached under Hall of Fame head Coaches.
Good points about both Flores and Gase working under great coaches. That's probably true for most coordinators that end up with head coaching positions. As history has shown, very few end up long-term answers. Hopefully, Flores will be one of those.

The #1 trait Flores has, that has me inspired for the future of the team, is his teaching ability, followed closely by my second favorite trait, discipline and accountability. Coaches can come up under a guy like BB, follow what he tells them to do as far as planning and schemes, but I don't know if they really excel in the teaching aspect of the job, like Flores obviously does. I didn't get that feel from Patricia or a few of the other coordinators that went elsewhere and sucked.
It might be a little early to say that about teaching, but in general that seems to be the case early on. I can't wait to see how players develop as I think that speaks directly to the coaching staff's ability to teach. I think most of us see that Miami does have a lot of young talent so its crucial to bring out the best in those players.

Good points about both Flores and Gase working under great coaches. That's probably true for most coordinators that end up with head coaching positions. As history has shown, very few end up long-term answers. Hopefully, Flores will be one of those.

I didn't say 'great'.

I wrote HALL OF FAME.

BIG difference, there are not all that many head coaches in the HOF. ;)

I felt Gases' downfall was his arrogance and egomaniac personality. Flores doesn't strike me as an arrogant and egotistical man. For all his noted Offensive genius, Gase never consistently got the offense going in Miami. He had his moments, especially when Ajayi was running well in 2016. The behind the scenes power plays were another turning point in Gases' downfall. Cutler to be exact. That was a desperate move for an ego maniac looking to win now. Flores at least, seems to understand, the long term views of the organization and realizes it may be a few years before anything pays off. I like his demeanor, humbleness and his ability to incorporate all aspects of his coaching and scouting acronym into his leadership ability. On the surface Flores looks to be a sleeper type hire, that could eventually pay big dividends. Something Gases' win now attitude, would never let him do. He self destructed.
Well said. I really like everything I've heard from Flores. Enough to get really excited about the future of our team. I had my doubts early on with Gase, especially when it was reported that he was buddy, buddy with players. Miami also continued to get softer and softer, which I absolutely hate.

Gase was fixated on his genius and his ability to create mis-matches on Offense. It looked good when they worked but too often we weren't doing the basics. I see Brian Flores as more disciplined and structured in the way he is going about the job. Where Gase was one-dimensional in just focusing on Offense, I expect that Flores has a clearer understanding on balancing his team focus because he has been personally mentored and developed by the best, Bill Belichick.
I feel that way as well. Still not 100 percent sure what Flores wants on offense. It seems, based on drafting a fullback, that he wants a strong running game. But, it has been reported that he's working with offensive players as well as with defensive players. I think that's what a head coach needs to do. I gave Gase some leverage there early on, but I kept saying that I wanted to see him put his stamp on the defense. Unfortunately, he was never able to do that even with the offense.

I have a good feeling about Flores, but I know some of that is just being an optimist. I want to see the team become smarter, more physical and I want to see "multiple" work in games. I think by season two we'll start to have a better feel for Flores and whether or not he is the long-term answer.

It might be a little early to say that about teaching, but in general that seems to be the case early on. I can't wait to see how players develop as I think that speaks directly to the coaching staff's ability to teach. I think most of us see that Miami does have a lot of young talent so its crucial to bring out the best in those players.

I don't think it's early at all. There have been several clips of him directly engaging players, on both sides, and working fundamentals. He shows a true concern for their development and seems to have a knack of being able to relate to them. It showed in the 1st pre-season game too. Less penalties than expected, given this team's recent track record. Part of that is discipline, but part of it is also knowing your stuff, well. If you've been taught well and have more of a grasp on concepts and responsibilities, there's a lesser chance of making boneheaded mistakes. BB himself preaches it. If players make mistakes on something they haven't been thoroughly trained on (and it's bound to happen with a new system), I feel Flores will key in on that and make the corrections.

I expect to see some chicken salad this year...even if they don't blow the league away.

Gase can design a good play. The issue here was the focus on fundamentals and the little things. You've heard stories from camps about how much time was spent with players standing around, how people who cover other teams felt the team didnt take the warm ups/pregame prep seriously, and how sloppy practice good be. I was a fan of Gase and saw times where plays were there to make BIG plays but the fundamentals were lacking. I expect with the Jets talent for him to have a solid year but I expect similar issues.

Flores is a but of an unknown but for a true rebuild I think he has the right approach. Will it work long term? Who knows. But I think fir building a foundation he is the right guy

Well said. I really like everything I've heard from Flores. Enough to get really excited about the future of our team. I had my doubts early on with Gase, especially when it was reported that he was buddy, buddy with players. Miami also continued to get softer and softer, which I absolutely hate.
I'm not sure what Gase thoughts were when he was buddying up to his QB's. But that alienated the other players. His penchant to call the same plays in certain situations and at times put the QB in bad spots with limited protection was to me the most frustrating part of his tenure in Miami. The reluctance on his part to admit his defense was in need of a better coach was a true sign of his incompetence. But like I said, his Huge Ego ruined him.

I personally wanted Gase to succeed when he first game here. However, he alienated too many good players and ignored the defense. The team often played soft and came out cold at the start. At half time the adjustments were weak or non-existant. He did have to content with a plethora of injuries and other distractions. He did a better job with timeouts and game managment than Philbin but that doesn't say much. He also hitched his wagon to Tannehill who I believe is a coach killer.

I think we have the right coach now.

well the Jets have a win total of 7.5 while the finz sit at 4.5. Either Gase is a better coach or all these people talking about this team having the talent to win 7/8 games are full of it.

Ding, ding ding, ding!!! The answer is in the last part of the last sentence.

Gase is a horrific head coach. Is this a serious debate? I know I'm not the only one that laughed his *** off when the Jets signed him. I cannot wait for the implosion. Then I hope he replaces Belicheat in New England.

I’m one of the minority (I guess) that thinks Darnold isn’t anything special. Maybe with good coaching his deficiencies could be hid and he’d be a middling qb. Once the Jets signed Gase I said that’s the final nail for that kid’s career.

Coach Bubblescreen is gone. I got so sick of watching the Fins under Gase and his predictable offense. I’m hopeful Flores will bring some smash mouth and the downfield passing game along with a tougher defense.

Coach Bubblescreen is gone. I got so sick of watching the Fins under Gase and his predictable offense. I’m hopeful Flores will bring some smash mouth and the downfield passing game along with a tougher defense.

+1000

I know I've said this over and over, but if your offense is unable to convert a 3rd or 4th and short on the ground, and the preferred playcall in that situation is a pass behind the line of scrimmage for a loss, then your offense is run by a complete idiot. IMO, the ONLY positive thing about Gase is that he occasionally called a nice trick play. But, when they really needed to convert, it seems like he would call the play with the least likelihood of success... probably thinking that the defense would never expect it!

Back
Top Bottom