Flores Versus Gase | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Flores Versus Gase

I’m one of the minority (I guess) that thinks Darnold isn’t anything special. Maybe with good coaching his deficiencies could be hid and he’d be a middling qb. Once the Jets signed Gase I said that’s the final nail for that kid’s career.
I think so too. They will ride the first year wave just like us and maybe push to 10-6 with maybe a playoff spot and then the Gase collapse will happen. Darnold better get used to no audibles, no changing plays, lots of throws behind the LOS, dump offs. His stats will look decent but the results will be negligible.

Personally I am more interested how often and how much Flores will piss off the Patriots over the next decade. :nah:

Last edited:
Gase can design a good play. The issue here was the focus on fundamentals and the little things. You've heard stories from camps about how much time was spent with players standing around, how people who cover other teams felt the team didnt take the warm ups/pregame prep seriously, and how sloppy practice good be. I was a fan of Gase and saw times where plays were there to make BIG plays but the fundamentals were lacking. I expect with the Jets talent for him to have a solid year but I expect similar issues.

Flores is a but of an unknown but for a true rebuild I think he has the right approach. Will it work long term? Who knows. But I think fir building a foundation he is the right guy

Not just fundamentals. With Gase, fans saw RT call a (rare) audible and then go down the OL pointing out the assignments. Players didn't know assignments. On D, no better. 3 guys covering one receiver and one receiver out of eyesight of a defender. Players didn't know assignments.

Gase would have a very good game plan 2-3 times a year (and I suspect a good game plan against Miami) and, apparently NONE the other 13-14. No adjustments. IIRC, some CBs said they knew routes by formation. How many negatives do fans need.

Is Flo better? remains to be seen, but the hints are there. Reducing penalties, players knowing assignments, and mediocre OC/DC (at worst) will help considerably.

I don't think it is a very fair evaluation. But if I'm basing it off their starts here I'm saying Flores looks much better than Gase. My observations are as follows.

1. Flores thought outside the box with his coaching hires. Between his new England assistants he felt confident enough to grab guys he felt could bring sustainability to the franchise. Granted our o-line coach and Jim Caldwell were let go (Caldwell departure is not on him. Gase struggled to hire anyone outside of his friends and family. leading to short, half-effort coaching searches.

2. Flores has remained and held everyone accountable. He admitted to the team the first week that he hired the wrong coach and removed him. He holds everyone to the same standard coach or 0layer. Gase tried to be one of the guys and it backfired by creating a lazy and hostile environment.

3. Flores welcomes challenging figures in his locker room. Although the results are to be determined, Gase and his predecessors were afraid of players they considered disruptions. in a room of 53 guys you will never have all of them could be great people.

4. Flores accepts the challenge of being a head coach so far. Gase was busy playing o-coordinator for three years. he failed to see and entire team and felt everything would fix itself if his friends were put in those positions

I think if Gase would have been able to hire Fangio he would have been able to stay hands off on the defend like he wanted...

Narcissism-the pursuit of gratification from VANITY or EGOTISTIC admiration of one's idealized self image and attributes. That describes Gase to a tea. He always has to pull that smartest guy in the room garbage and that will be his undoing. The Jets have a great young QB in Darnold, they have Bell at RB and he's a star in the NFL and they have a pretty decent defense. They have Kalil at C, Brian Winters at G and Kelechi Osemele at the other G and what I'm saying is that the Jets o-line is way better than ours. So, because they have a pretty good group of players Gase will be made to look good. But, he'll screw it up because he won't be able to get along with his star players. Gase is a one trick pony who is so lucky to have another Head Coach job after the way he screwed up down here, he should kiss the ground and his big time agent Jimmy Sexton. He won't last long in New York because when things go bad they'll rip into him with a vengeance that will send him running back to Peyton.

Now, Coach Flores, that's a real man and a real football coach from top to bottom, stem to stern and soup to nuts. I'm really pulling for him. I think he brings the leadership qualities this team has lacked. He brings a no nonsense toughness that is wonderful to see down here again. He brings a bunch of experience coaching Super Bowl winning defenses. I believe he's the kind of guy that I would trust with the keys to my favorite team. I think he'll build something down here. It may take time because he's going to do it brick by brick but when it's complete we'll be proud for a long time. Coach Flo is 100% substance, Coach Goose, all flash, finesse and smoke and mirrors. Give me a coach that wants to beat the other teams brains out from the opening gun, not a guy who wants to keep it close and have a shot in the 4th quarter! That's horse **** football.

Look, I was excited when we got Gase. Very happy about it. And..... We know how that ended up.

Then, I was disappointed we got Flores. I didn‘t want a NE former anything leading this team. Early returns are he might be an amazing coach when he gets some talent.

With all that said...... I have no right to comment on anything to do with ccoaching. That is all.

With Gase my eyes saw players confused and too often looking like a team that hasn't played before... they looked like amateurs... undisciplined... it was hard to watch (not always but often)

I watched the replay of last weeks contest and, at least for now, didn't see that at all

It's not a good measuring stick (3 yrs. vs. 1 game) but here's hoping we have a coach that his focus is on the details and fundamentals … from that base we can build successfully

I absolutely love the fact Gase went to the Jets... it gave me added passion for the rivalry and another reason to hate the Jets

I don't think it's early at all. There have been several clips of him directly engaging players, on both sides, and working fundamentals. He shows a true concern for their development and seems to have a knack of being able to relate to them. It showed in the 1st pre-season game too. Less penalties than expected, given this team's recent track record. Part of that is discipline, but part of it is also knowing your stuff, well. If you've been taught well and have more of a grasp on concepts and responsibilities, there's a lesser chance of making boneheaded mistakes. BB himself preaches it. If players make mistakes on something they haven't been thoroughly trained on (and it's bound to happen with a new system), I feel Flores will key in on that and make the corrections.

I expect to see some chicken salad this year...even if they don't blow the league away.
I hope so. It's an encouraging start.

That was probably the least enthusiastic 'pouce' on record. Wasn't he their seventh choice, or something like that?
Lol. I don't think he was their first choice. Wasn't it McCarthy? Anyway, they landed him quickly which did surprise me.

Another clear difference between the two:

Gase has bulging eyes
gase2.jpg

Flores has bulging muscles
flores.jpg

Ten bucks says there's drama between Gase and Bell by Thanksgiving, if not before. Jets are gonna lose a bunch of money on that contract.

Flores seems like the perfect coach for a rebuild. If he actually has the smarts to stay once the team is brimming with disciplined young talent remains to be seen. I'm pulling for him.

Ten bucks says there's drama between Gase and Bell by Thanksgiving, if not before. Jets are gonna lose a bunch of money on that contract.

Flores seems like the perfect coach for a rebuild. If he actually has the smarts to stay once the team is brimming with disciplined young talent remains to be seen. I'm pulling for him.
I wonder if Gase gives Bell six carries a game. What players will he under-utilize in NY? For Miami is was Stills and Drake and, to some degree, Grant.

Back
Top Bottom