‘Focus,’ shmocus? Miami Dolphins believe G Jermon Bushrod gets unfair rap | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

‘Focus,’ shmocus? Miami Dolphins believe G Jermon Bushrod gets unfair rap

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
They can say what they will, but the front office has made some colossal mistakes on players. For every player they have hit on, there are two they have screwed the pooch. I have been consistently critical of the talent evaluators in this organization.
Straight talk: Take whatever you like from Pro Football Focus determining that only three regulars at guard were worse than Bushrod last season.

You might want to focus (pardon pun) instead on how the Dolphins rank Bushrod. Consider two things:

• Coach Adam Gase said Bushrod ranked second behind Mike Pouncey in grades compiled by his coaches.
http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...olphins-clearly-rate-g-jermon-bushrod-higher/

When healthy Bushrod passed the eye test. That's all I can say. Factor in playing guard for the first time in his professional career.

So you're saying for every 1 good signing miami makes two bad signings? Care to elaborate on exactly who those players are?

We will start the discussion with the year 2000(although Shula had some bad drafts, not nearly as many as the modern regimes) We will stay in the first 4 rds because beyond that it is a crapshoot.:
No 1st rd pick
2. Todd Wade decent player(not great, lunch pail guy)
3. Ben Kelly: TOT games played(7), played with 2 teams in 3 years(Mia,NE). returned 5 kicks for the Phins
4. Deon Dyer: FB, played 3 yrs for the Phins, primarily a blocking back, not much production
1. Jamar Fletcher: big time bust in the 1st rd(and the players we could have selected):wall
2. Chris Chambers: good player, but was never the same after that hit he took in Denver
3. Travis Minor: small expected more from a 3rd rd.
4. Morlon Greenwood: decent player. not great, not bad
(the screw up in the first rd weighs heavy on this draft)
No 1st rd or 2nd rd pick
3. Seth McKinney: the only reason he was a starter was because the rest of the roster was bad
4. Randy McMichael: Good player
(no 1st or 2nd pick was bad, you build through the draft)
1. Eddie Moore: terrible pick, need I say more:wall
2. Wade Smith: In the same vein as Dallas Thomas, I know he had some good years with HOU, but he was terrible with us. I can still remember him freezing on one play. When the ball was snapped he didn't move a muscle
3. Taylor Whitley: played 1 year with the Phins then went to Denver and was out of the league in year 3.
4. Donald Lee: good player, problem was the Phins did not develop him-GB did
1. Vernon Carey: decent player
4. Will Poole: played 1yr, 5 passes defended, 1 sack and 1 return for 22yds
1. Ronnie Brown: good player
2. Matt Roth: not great, average to below average player
3. Channing Crowder: decent player, but a legend in his own mind
4. Travis Daniels: below average player
1. Jason Allen: could not acclimate to a position(CB or S), can not believe they stayed with him for 5yrs:wall
2. Derek Hagan: played 9 yrs in the leagueo_O only 2.5 with the Phins, had major drop issues with Miami, most yards in a year was 373
4. Joe Toledo: If I remember correctly was hurt all the time, never started a game, I think he was out of the league in a year
1. Ted Ginn: we recruited his family, major bust with the Phins considering he was 9th overall and who we could have had:wall
2. John Beck: another bad pick
2. Samson Satele: good pick
3. Lorenzo Booker: played 1yr with the Phins, 125yds, need I say more
4. Paul Soliai: great pick
1. Jake Long: although he got hurt, at the time it was a great pick just did not live up to expectations
2. Phillip Merling: decent to good pick
3. Chad Henne: flashed, but below average player
4. Kendall Langford: good pick
1. Vontae Davis: good player, bad work ethic that we gave up on
2. Pat White: another horrible pick, I remember yelling at the TV with the word "idiots" spewing from my mouth as my blood boiled:wall
2. Sean Smith: good player, other people were higher on him than I
3. Patrick Turner: played 1yr with Phins, did nothing
4. Brian Hartline: good possession WR, I liked Hartline
1. Jared Odrick: good player, more disappointed that he was taken in the 1st - seemed like the 2nd rd to me
2. Koa Misi:I know I will get beat up for this, but he was a 3rd rd grade, with all his injuries I am not liking this pick.
3. John Jerry: decent player, 4yrs w/Mia and 3yrs w/ NYG
4. A.J. Edds: hurt from the get go, I think he was cut in TC or during the year
1. Mike Pouncey: good player, but is hurt all the time and his absence really hurts the team so how can you say this is a good pick
2. Daniel Thomas: mediocre player, flashed but...
4. Clyde Gates: was a reach, never did anything
1. Ryan Tannehill: we all keep waiting, making excuses, he is a good player, but 8th overall
2. Johnathan Martin: need I say more:wall
3. Olivier Vernon: good player
3. Michael Egnew: B-U-S-T
4.Lamar Miller: good player, problem is we let him walk
1. Dion Jordan: the biggest, most colossal bust in franchise history
2. Jamar Taylor: he was a bust with the Phins
3. Dallas Thomas: B-U-S-T
3. Will Davis: 26 tot tkls in 4yrs, bad, 2yrs with the Phins
4. Jelanie Jenkins: at times good, decent player
1. Ja'Wuan James: jury is still out
2. Jarvis Landry: great player, means we will probably let him walk next year
3.Billy Turner: sucked
4. Walt Atkins: flashed, but not much up to this point
1. DeVante Parker: underachieved to this point
2. Jordan Phillips: underachiever, picked too high in the draft
4. Jamil Douglas: enuff said
1. Laremy Tunsil: great pick, gas mask not withstanding:biggrin
2. Xavien Howard: hurt all the time
3. Kenyan Drake: good pick
3. Leonte Caroo: underachieved

You can throw out the 2015 and 2016 drafts because we do not know yet. But by my count:25 good players and 38 bad players. Not 2:1, but 1.5 to 1 and I am not including later round picks that weigh heavy in not even making the club. Some do, but most do not. Most of the lost draft picks were stupid moves by the front office.

Last edited:
We will start the discussion with the year 2000(although Shula had some bad drafts, not nearly as many as the modern regimes) We will stay in the first 4 rds because beyond that it is a crapshoot.:

You can throw out the 2015 and 2016 drafts because we do not know yet. But by my count:25 good players and 38 bad players. Not 2:1, but 1.5 to 1 and I am not including later round picks that weigh heavy in not even making the club. Some do, but most do not. Most of the lost draft picks were stupid moves by the front office.

The drafts have really improved in the last 3 years. Before that I think you made your case pretty well. Don't like Sean Smith dropping sure Int's all the time, Ginn got a bad rap, I thought he was good; Passing on Favre and taking Jamar who??? Fletcher should have been a sign of things to come

No 1st rd pick
2. Todd Wade decent player(not great, lunch pail guy)
3. Ben Kelly: TOT games played(7), played with 2 teams in 3 years(Mia,NE). returned 5 kicks for the Phins
4. Deon Dyer: FB, played 3 yrs for the Phins, primarily a blocking back, not much production
1. Jamar Fletcher: big time bust in the 1st rd(and the players we could have selected):wall
2. Chris Chambers: good player, but was never the same after that hit he took in Denver
3. Travis Minor: small expected more from a 3rd rd.
4. Morlon Greenwood: decent player. not great, not bad
(the screw up in the first rd weighs heavy on this draft)
No 1st rd or 2nd rd pick
3. Seth McKinney: the only reason he was a starter was because the rest of the roster was bad
4. Randy McMichael: Good player
(no 1st or 2nd pick was bad, you build through the draft)
1. Eddie Moore: terrible pick, need I say more:wall
2. Wade Smith: In the same vein as Dallas Thomas, I know he had some good years with HOU, but he was terrible with us. I can still remember him freezing on one play. When the ball was snapped he didn't move a muscle
3. Taylor Whitley: played 1 year with the Phins then went to Denver and was out of the league in year 3.
4. Donald Lee: good player, problem was the Phins did not develop him-GB did
1. Vernon Carey: decent player
4. Will Poole: played 1yr, 5 passes defended, 1 sack and 1 return for 22yds
1. Ronnie Brown: good player
2. Matt Roth: not great, average to below average player
3. Channing Crowder: decent player, but a legend in his own mind
4. Travis Daniels: below average player
1. Jason Allen: could not accumulate to a position(CB or S), can not believe they stayed with him for 5yrs:wall
2. Derek Hagan: played 9 yrs in the leagueo_O only 2.5 with the Phins, had major drop issues with Miami, most yards in a year was 373
4. Joe Toledo: If I remember correctly was hurt all the time, never started a game, I think he was out of the league in a year
1. Ted Ginn: we recruited his family, major bust with the Phins considering he was 9th overall and who we could have had:wall
2. John Beck: another bad pick
2. Samson Satele: good pick
3. Lorenzo Booker: played 1yr with the Phins, 125yds, need I say more
4. Paul Soliai: great pick
1. Jake Long: although he got hurt, at the time it was a great pick just did not live up to expectations
2. Phillip Merling: decent to good pick
3. Chad Henne: flashed, but below average player
4. Kendall Langford: good pick
1. Vontae Davis: good player, bad work ethic that we gave up on
2. Pat White: another horrible pick, I remember yelling at the TV with the word "idiots" spewing from my mouth as my blood boiled:wall
2. Sean Smith: good player, other people were higher on him than I
3. Patrick Turner: played 1yr with Phins, did nothing
4. Brian Hartline: good possession WR, I liked Hartline
1. Jared Odrick: good player, more disappointed that he was taken in the 1st - seemed like the 2nd rd to me
2. Koa Misi:I know I will get beat up for this, but he was a 3rd rd grade, with all his injuries I am not liking this pick.
3. John Jerry: decent player, 4yrs w/Mia and 3yrs w/ NYG
4. A.J. Edds: hurt from the get go, I think he was cut in TC or during the year
1. Mike Pouncey: good player, but is hurt all the time and his absence really hurts the team so how can you say this is a good pick
2. Daniel Thomas: mediocre player, flashed but...
4. Clyde Gates: was a reach, never did anything
1. Ryan Tannehill: we all keep waiting, making excuses, he is a good player, but 8th overall
2. Johnathan Martin: need I say more:wall
3. Olivier Vernon: good player
3. Michael Egnew: B-U-S-T
4.Lamar Miller: good player, problem is we let him walk
1. Dion Jordan: the biggest, most colossal bust in franchise history
2. Jamar Taylor: he was a bust with the Phins
3. Dallas Thomas: B-U-S-T
3. Will Davis: 26 tot tkls in 4yrs, bad, 2yrs with the Phins
4. Jelanie Jenkins: at times good, decent player
1. Ja'Wuan James: jury is still out
2. Jarvis Landry: great player, means we will probably let him walk next year
3.Billy Turner: sucked
4. Walt Atkins: flashed, but not much up to this point
1. DeVante Parker: underachieved to this point
2. Jordan Phillips: underachiever, picked too high in the draft
4. Jamil Douglas: enuff said
1. Laremy Tunsil: great pick, gas mask not withstanding:biggrin
2. Xavien Howard: hurt all the time
3. Kenyan Drake: good pick
3. Leonte Caroo: underachieved

So you're judging the current coaching staff the blame for past mistakes made by completely separate staffs?

You can go through plenty of teams signings and draft picks and do the same thing.

Xavien Howard: Hurt all the time? He's played one year in the NFL and came back to play well to finish off the year.

And just because a player (Parker and Phillips) hasn't had an exponential increase in effectiveness/success doesn't mean they were a bust. Wide Receivers and Defensive Tackles take time to develop by NFL standards, so it's not unheard of to go into year three with two players who have yet to play the best football of their careers.

I also wouldn't say the jury is out on Ja'Wuan James. He showed in the last half of the season that he's a reliable right tackle and can more than handle the starting spot. He's the most consistent performer on the offensive line.

I never said that this regime is going to be as inept as the previous ones. Only that past performance has shown that, as an organization, we have been pretty abysmal when it came to the draft. Gase and Co. are only in their second year and I hope the trajectory is going up, but I am not going to see the glass as half full until it is half full. But Burke's refusal to change a system that allowed opponents to gain more yards per play both passing and receiving, does not give me a reason to be excited. I hope this season everything turns out to be a great success and alleviates all my concerns, but I have been following this team for far to long to be optimistic. Shula had Marino and even though the defense was, for the most part, a trainwreck-there was always hope. But at present, there is always apprehension going into every game.

Most teams have 7 picks. If you find 3 good players from each draft, you have had a good year. That leaves everyone with more bad picks than good ones. Not all of them end up starters but still contribute to ST's or as backups. I cannot complain too much for what has transpired over the last 3 years but of course there have been some moves that didn't work out. Look no further than Mario Williams and Jason Jones.

If memory serves me from that time in 2012, The Shanahans were purported to want Tannehill at I believe 4, (or 6, I forget) before Art Snider interjected himself, made the Skins pay a kings ransom to move up to #2 for RG3. Then the info coming in afterwards was that KC was poised to draft Ryan at 11. So I'd say that argument of taking a high potential, relatively inexperienced QB at 8 being il-advised is really a non-starter given the conditions of the marketplace at that time. Also let's not forget that his last 8 games included 7 wins and most of the stats that would place him top 10, if not top 8.

did we ever find out what happened to Matt Roth?

Roth was drafted by the Miami Dolphins in the second round (46th overall) of the 2005 NFL Draft.

Roth played in a reserve role in all 32 games in his first two seasons.

With the departure of Kevin Carter to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and David Bowens to free agency, Roth was named starting defensive end in 2007.

In 2008, Roth moved to outside linebacker after the Dolphins shifted to the 3-4 defense. He started 14 of 16 games.

Roth was the subject of controversy at the beginning of training camp in 2009. According to head coach Tony Sparano, Roth failed the team's initial conditioning test due to an unknown illness. Roth's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, stated in a television appearance the failed test was due to a groin injury.[2] On September 5, Roth was placed on the Reserve/Non-Football-Injury list. He was later waived on November 24 of that year.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Roth
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Roth

Back
Top Bottom