Football Gameplan's 2014 Dolphins vs Lions Week 10 Video Preview | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Football Gameplan's 2014 Dolphins vs Lions Week 10 Video Preview

The two ideas for the defensive plays were both horrible. Wake is our best pass rusher and has gotten abused when he is put into coverage. I hate taking our best rusher and make him do things he is not good at. The same for their defense, I would love for them to take Suh and Fairley or the other big DT and drop them in coverage and let their LBs blitz. They can do that all game and we will rack up 500+ yards of offense. Just horrible ideas when you consider who the personnel is for both teams.

The two ideas for the defensive plays were both horrible. Wake is our best pass rusher and has gotten abused when he is put into coverage. I hate taking our best rusher and make him do things he is not good at. The same for their defense, I would love for them to take Suh and Fairley or the other big DT and drop them in coverage and let their LBs blitz. They can do that all game and we will rack up 500+ yards of offense. Just horrible ideas when you consider who the personnel is for both teams.

The point of situational football in this case is to catch the QB in a situation to where what they expect, doesn't happen; which essentially gets him to hold the ball a half/sec long. It is not intended to suggest that a DT cover an eligible receiver for a full game/play..it's more of responsible for 'getting to that area'. Also, if you're blitzing LBs/S, better believe that one, if not both, backs will stay to pick up that blitz.

Fairley is out by the way.

And btw, it's a very effective zone blitz…ask around to some of the coaches in your area. I've done in when I coached. I also hated to pick up blitzes when I played..preferred to go out in a route..

DEs pick off passes in that type of situation quite often, it happened in the New England game with Rob Ninkovich picking off Manning. Wake actually had 2 INTs in training camp, so he's not horrible in coverage.

The point of situational football in this case is to catch the QB in a situation to where what they expect, doesn't happen; which essentially gets him to hold the ball a half/sec long. It is not intended to suggest that a DT cover an eligible receiver for a full game/play..it's more of responsible for 'getting to that area'. Also, if you're blitzing LBs/S, better believe that one, if not both, backs will stay to pick up that blitz.

Fairley is out by the way.

And btw, it's a very effective zone blitz…ask around to some of the coaches in your area. I've done in when I coached. I also hated to pick up blitzes when I played..preferred to go out in a route..

I fully understand the concept of a zone blitz, but when the lions have put as much money in their DTs as they have it is not to have them drop back into zone coverages. With the fins weakness being our interior OL and the strength of the lions being their DTs being able to collapse the pocket, asking them to run zone blitzes would be like asking Peyton Manning to return punts. Not saying it couldn't happen, but it would certainly make Ryan's day a lot easier.

Hey it is just my opinion just like you have yours. I shouldn't have said it was a horrible idea, that was not nice and I apologize. I do like the idea, but just not with these two teams. I think when you look at the people in place that are on the DL for both teams I just don't think you can take Suh away from what he does so well and ask him to do something else. If he goes out for a breather and you ask his replacement to do that then sure it could work.

DEs pick off passes in that type of situation quite often, it happened in the New England game with Rob Ninkovich picking off Manning. Wake actually had 2 INTs in training camp, so he's not horrible in coverage.

This isn't preseason, did you happen to catch Wake covering the RB in the KC game?? It wasn't pretty. That isn't a knock on Wake it is just that it is not a good game plan. If you want to do it with Jordan then that is different, but not Wake, he is too valuable doing what he does.

This isn't preseason, did you happen to catch Wake covering the RB in the KC game?? It wasn't pretty. That isn't a knock on Wake it is just that it is not a good game plan. If you want to do it with Jordan then that is different, but not Wake, he is too valuable doing what he does.

DEs having to cover a player over any distance will never look pretty. What you are hoping for is the QB sees what he thinks is an opening but doesn't notice the DE dropping back. And there has to be pressure from somewhere to make him throw it fast. Also, Wake was supposed to have safety help but the safety slipped and fell on that play.

Which kinda proves my point. He has a better chance of getting an interception rushing the passer and getting a deflected pass for an interception than being used in a zone blitz concept.

I agree with this. The key to this game is Cam Wake getting pressure on Matt Stafford, not Cam Wake trying to cover Reggie Bush. However, perhaps the OP believes that Matt Stafford doesn't see the field as well as EJ Manuel.

Likewise, if they are dumb enough to put Suh in coverage instead of wrecking our interior OL, I'll take that. Good luck with blitzing linebackers. That worked real well for the Chargers.

I appreciate these and all the hard work that goes into them. Regardless whether I agree on every evaluation or point of emphasis -- and I doubt, for example, that the Lions will drop Suh or the Dolphins will drop Wake into coverage more than once or twice the whole game -- it's nice to get independent analysis rather than regurgitated bobble head crap.

I agree with this. The key to this game is Cam Wake getting pressure on Matt Stafford, not Cam Wake trying to cover Reggie Bush. However, perhaps the OP believes that Matt Stafford doesn't see the field as well as EJ Manuel.

Likewise, if they are dumb enough to put Suh in coverage instead of wrecking our interior OL, I'll take that. Good luck with blitzing linebackers. That worked real well for the Chargers.

The Lions have been running guys in and out of the lineup at RT. They're struggling mightily over there. Not to mention that Reggie Bush is a substandard protection back. Every time we drop Cameron Wake into coverage we're making a mistake. Not just because we're letting them off the hook, but also because Wake is absolutely terrible in coverage. As fast as he looks attacking the quarterback in coverage he moves like Mount Cody.

Unfortunately, the kind of play Emory highlighted is exactly the kind of thing Kevin Coyle likes to do. It's his instinct to be -- with all due respect to Emory -- too clever by half. One of the big reasons we're better this year on defense than we have been the last two years is precisely because Coyle has dialed down the whiteboard wizardry and just turned the defensive line loose on offensive line. And right now they're eating.

I don't mind bringing twists and stunts up front -- used sparingly -- and I don't mind bringing five with an LB blitz. But if you're going to get cute do it on the back end with combination coverages. The guys up front must attack for 60 minutes.

The Lions have been running guys in and out of the lineup at RT. They're struggling mightily over there. Not to mention that Reggie Bush is a substandard protection back. Every time we drop Cameron Wake into coverage we're making a mistake. Not just because we're letting them off the hook, but also because Wake is absolutely terrible in coverage. As fast as he looks attacking the quarterback in coverage he moves like Mount Cody.

I agree with this 100%. I'd add again that Matt Stafford is precisely the kind of quarterback who will just start firing "**** it" footballs all over the place off of his back foot in pressure situations.

Back
Top Bottom