Football talent vs. football intelligence | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Football talent vs. football intelligence

Russ57

Active Roster
Reaction score
Okay, we have some talent on both sides of the ball. Seemingly more on the offensive side. One would think an OC, a pair of guards, and a TE and we would be loaded.

But clearly the offensive plays much more poorly. They start slow. They look uninvolved. Honestly, they often look lost and confused. It seems if the QB or Pouncey isn’t making calls nobody knows what to do. I question how well guys know the playbook.

Maybe this is why Gase is calling out players this year. Maybe this is why he looks frustrated. Maybe this is why the play calling is so dumbed down and predictable looking. Maybe this is why he insists on running certain plays until players prove they can master the simple ones (like WR screens?).

I’m really starting to feel like we have plenty of athletically gifted players but hardy none who put in the long hours on film study and taking care of their bodies. I always felt it allowed guys like Zach Thomas to be far better in the pros than they were in college.

There's nothing anyone could do or say to convince me that the players are so stupid that they couldn't handle more of the playbook or a better scheme than what we're currently seeing. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I've seen far better game planning, play calling, and just overall competency on offense with local HS football teams here.

Watching the coach’s press release it sure seems like the offensive players are not putting in the study time. If they don’t know the plays by now that is pretty sad.

I’m no coach or film guru but what I see agrees with what the coach said.

The offense is so far out of sync that it's hard to tell if it is blown assignments or predictability in our play calling. It seems some are freelancing. Gase called out Ajayi about always trying to hit the homerun instead of staying within the design of the called play. Personally, I am scratching my head on that one. Ajayi is just trying to make a play because our O-line couldn't open up a hole in a wet paper bag.

Update: after reading Barry's article this morning it looks like our RB room isn't doing their jobs because they don't know who to block. Gase said they haven't blocked the right guy all year. That's telling and a direct reflection on our RB coach. Clearly, he is doing a very poor job of communicating the plan and getting our guys ready. Our players need to do their part too. If they don't know what to do, then they need to find a way to learn it even if it means going around their coach.

Last edited:
Watching the coach’s press release it sure seems like the offensive players are not putting in the study time. If they don’t know the plays by now that is pretty sad.

I’m no coach or film guru but what I see agrees with what the coach said.
But how many new players do we have from last year of offense to have to study at home? Thomas? I think we are limited on play calling because the personnel we have is limited. This is no shock, we knew we were playing with house money all offseason based on the OL.

Back
Top Bottom