FOR EVERYONE’S ENJOYMENT | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

FOR EVERYONE’S ENJOYMENT

Curious to know from any local fans that followed Miami back then, when Csonka, Kiick, and Warfield went to the WFL did they have venom spewed toward them like Ricky Williams did when he retired the first time?
I think it was much worse than it was for Ricky Williams, first there were three of them that left from the same team and the fact nothing like this had ever happened before made it almost unbearable to watch the Dolphins. Every commentator had to make a remark like 'if <insert any of the three names here> didn't leave, the Dolphins would make that play....

It was sickening after the first 15 minutes...

I think the big difference, if memory serves, was that fans were more upset at Joe Robbie. Some took it out on players, but remember salaries weren't the same as they are today. Many viewed Robbie as being cheap and the players as taking care of their future financially.

What made it more difficult, on the field, was the fact that there was no free agency to add talent. It was the draft or via trade. Trades were a little rare. Miami took a significant step down without those three, but had two years in the 1970's (1975, 1977) when they went 10-4 and missed the playoffs. In 1975, Miami lost 10-7 to the Colts and 20-19 to the Oilers. I think the Baltimore game went overtime.

Anyway, can dream on 12-2 with Csonka and Warfield sure to make a play or two in those close losses.

Back
Top Bottom