For People That Want Us To Draft Baker | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

For People That Want Us To Draft Baker

I think it’s funny that people literally will slit their throats if Miami drafted Baker at 11 because they don’t think he deserves it. Lol were these same people thrilled to have Tannehill at #8 overall? Baker is 10 times the prospect Tannehill was. A lot of these draft qbs this year are better prospects than Tannehill was coming out. I’m not saying all these qbs will be better than Tannehill but they definitely have higher ceilings. No one complained then about wasting a top 10 pick on Tannehill.

What is that old saying about noses? I think Baker busts in the NFL...I notice nobody want him first overall...

I have to agree with this. QB impacts your team more than any other position. I'm not saying you don't need the other players but you're talking about a guy that will handle the football on every snap. You don't pass on a great QB over any position unless you already have a great QB. I like Tannehill to a point but I'd not pass on Mayfield at 11 just because we have Tannehill

I am a big RT believer. The kid's paid his dues and deserves the support..and I believe him to be a top end talent. With that said I've begun to soften to the idea of a couple things:

1) I'm to the point that if things outside of his control (OLine, D giving away games, vanilla play calling) stifle this O in 2018 then the best thing they could do is to trade him and give him a chance with a competent team. He's earned the shot IMO.

2) I was big time against drafting a QB in the 1st but now not so much. The best scenario for me would be the 2nd so we can get Minkah, but I won't jump off of anything high anymore if we go QB at 11.
2a) I was very against Mayfield. I've now spent a bit of time really studying that situation and have came away a bit impressed and less concerned. This kid is fire. Gase wouldn't have a problem keeping him or his dad in check. He is exciting and a natural born leader. Watched him in the interview with Steve
Mariuchi and I was surprised how smart he is. On top of that he was very respectful and accommodating. His antics are a bit of a concern but I see someone who just has a chip on his shoulder that has let the fire get the best of him due to immaturity. He's still growing up.

I think a solid QB behind RT will actually create the perfect situation to see him take a huge step forward. We'll either get the top 10 QB a lot of us believe is truly is or we'll trade him and end up having groomed a potential talent.....which we haven't done since the draft of 1983.

Can you explain it to me?

I know he had the highest completion percentage.

I know he has a massive # of yards and TDs last season. I know he won an obscene amount of award this season.

I also freely admit that if he had done everything he he did last season in the ACC or SEC or Big 10 he would be the 1st QB taken. Unfortunately for him he did it in the big 12 which is lacking in defense.

When you look at the all time great Big12 QBs in the NFL, the only name I can come up with is Troy Aikman and Sam bradford for a currently playing QB (dont bother talking to me about QBs that transferred out)

I read the reddit posts, i read the facebook posts. We have people that want tannehill gone and are willing to part with next years 1st and more to move up and take baker. How is the last big 12 QB we drafted doing for us?

We are not a talented team. We went into the playoffs in 2016 because we had the easiest schedule in the league. We still need a guard, we still need a line backer, we still need another DT, LBer, CB, and S. We cannot throw picks away on maybes. I want safe talent. I dont need superstars. I want hardworkers.

So you are thinking the QB we've had (Tannehill) who was 56th in the nation (133.2 QB rating) as a 5th year senior with a prolific OL (2 top 6 picks) and talented group of WRs is going to do just as well as the QB who not only finished the #1 rated QB rated the past two years (198.90 in 2017, 196.39 in 2016) which is also the TOP 2 QB seasons in the history of college football (Russell Wilson 191.78 is 3rd behind Mayfield's top 2) wouldn't be an upgrade?

As far as how he would fair against teams from other conferences...
Perhaps ask Gus Malzahn from Auburn who Mayfield led Oklahoma to a 35-19 victory over in the Sugar Bowl in 2016 if he is legit NFL talent putting the following #s:
19 of 28 (67.9%), 296 yards, 2 TD, 0 int (180.2 QB rating)
*Auburn ranked #22 in pass defense vs. QB rating only allowing an average of 113.1 QB rating per game, including factoring in Mayfield's stats.

Or ask Urban Meyer at Ohio State who Mayfield led Oklahoma to a 31-16 victory over in 2017:
27 of 35 (77.1%), 386 yards, 3 TD, 0 int (214.8 QB rating)
* OSU ranked #16 in pass defense vs. QB rating only allowing an average of 111.7 QB rating per game, including factoring in Mayfield's stats.

Or ask Kirby Smart who Mayfield led Oklahoma to a 48 point, losing effort in the Rose Bowl in 2017:
23 of 35 (65.7%), 287 yards, 2 TD, 1 int (147.7 QB rating)
* Georgia ranked #8 in pass defense vs. QB rating only allowing an average of 108.1 QB rating per game, including factoring in Mayfield's stats.

So his totals from the last 3 games against conferences referred to (SEC and Big 10) which included 2 bowl games Mayfield led Oklahoma to an average of 38 points per game while combining to go 69 of 98 (70.4%), 969 yards, 7 TD, 1 int (175 QB rating) which by the way is in line with the all-time career college QB passing efficiency ratings:
1. Sam Bradford - 175.62
2. Baker Mayfield - 175.37 (197.72 over final two years, 2016-2017)
3. Marcus Mariota - 171.75
250. Sean Mannion - 135.76
below that is Tannehill - 134.2

But beyond all the numbers the most important reason to take a chance on Mayfield is this...there is no more important position in team sports when it comes to influencing the outcome of games than QB. That is how damn important the position is. If a team does not have a top-10 QB then that team has QB problems. That is how important the position is. A great QB can make a bad team good (Marino, for example) and a good team great (Brady, for example).

And the two most important factors for success of a QB and the team the QB plays for are ACCURACY and LEADERSHIP. Mayfield is clearly, without a doubt, a MAJOR improvement in those two areas over Tannehill.

So the question isn't "Why should Miami draft Mayfield?" the question is "Why in heck would Miami NOT draft Mayfield?"

Last edited:
1. Mayfield has elite ceiling. But he's boom or bust. Which means one way or the other we will be out of the mediocre rut.

2. For entertainment purposes. The debates on this forum will be taken up about 5 levels. Many will be banned. Many will quit being fans and follow Tannehill to wherever he's traded.

If we take him at eleven, that gives the Miami Dolphins Ryan Tannehill, David Fales, Brock Osweiler and Baker Mayfield. I’m making the kid starter and cleaning house and signing a cheap veteran to back him up and mentor him, even if it’s bringing Cuttler back for a year. Give me something for Tannehill and move the **** on already.

latest

For those that do not like Mayfield or do not think he is legit NFL QB here are things to consider:
1- almost all NFL scouts/GMs were not high on Mayfield coming into this season. Most viewed him as a day 2 pick.
But his elevated play and outstanding performances at Ohio State and Georgia made them change their evaluations.
His accuracy this year and leadership have scouts viewing him as Russell Wilson II.
For NFL people to have such a change of opinion on a player at the QB position is a sign that teams should not pass on the chance to draft him.
He has the pocket presence, escapability and accuracy that Tannehill will never have.

Gase will not pass up the chance to draft him. But I think the Jets/ Denver pick him.

I will be about as shocked as ever if in this Draft Mayfield falls past 5.I just can't believe no 1 person doesn't/wouldn't want him but that is my opinion just like any else's .
I am hoping 1a or 1b in no order happens.Mayfield or James.Dont get me wrong there are other players I like but these 2 will be game changers IMO,Instantly.

If we take him at eleven, that gives the Miami Dolphins Ryan Tannehill, David Fales, Brock Osweiler and Baker Mayfield. I’m making the kid starter and cleaning house and signing a cheap veteran to back him up and mentor him, even if it’s bringing Cuttler back for a year. Give me something for Tannehill and move the **** on already.

What do you believe we could get for Tannehill on draft day
if your scenario fell into place?

This makes sense actually if you take Mayfield this year because at worst we would trade Tannahill next season. They certainly both would not be on the roster next season and we would have a QB controversy all season this year, not good. Also if Mayfield stinks up the joint Gase is gone and RT would be probably also. And seeing how Gase stuck his pick Cutler down our throats last season then it would be more of the same with Mayfield and RT but RT would be treated like Moore was. I still don't want to pick a 1st round QB this year. See how RT plays and if we stink we will pick higher next year giving us a shot at a QB. Now hopefuly there are some good QBs next year too.

the question is "Why in heck would Miami NOT draft Mayfield?"

I think he has red flags. While his production is on Wilson, Mariota, Newton level, he does not have the athleticism of the others to overcome pocket issues, high sacks and playing under pressure.

Another red flag is the shear numbers, 70% completions, 43 TDs, 6 ints, does not figure to translate to NFL passing production. There is something systemic, fishy about the numbers.

And, the nonprototypical frame, as well as off and on the field antics.

There are some red flags there that would prevent me from drafting him, and I would be okay if our division rivals took on that challenge.

So you are thinking the QB we've had (Tannehill) who was 56th in the nation (133.2 QB rating) as a 5th year senior with a prolific OL (2 top 6 picks) and talented group of WRs is going to do just as well as the QB who not only finished the #1 rated QB rated the past two years (198.90 in 2017, 196.39 in 2016) which is also the TOP 2 QB seasons in the history of college football (Russell Wilson 191.78 is 3rd behind Mayfield's top 2) wouldn't be an upgrade?

As far as how he would fair against teams from other conferences...
Perhaps ask Gus Malzahn from Auburn who Mayfield led Oklahoma to a 35-19 victory over in the Sugar Bowl in 2016 if he is legit NFL talent putting the following #s:
19 of 28 (67.9%), 296 yards, 2 TD, 0 int (180.2 QB rating)
*Auburn ranked #22 in pass defense vs. QB rating only allowing an average of 113.1 QB rating per game, including factoring in Mayfield's stats.

Or ask Urban Meyer at Ohio State who Mayfield led Oklahoma to a 31-16 victory over in 2017:
27 of 35 (77.1%), 386 yards, 3 TD, 0 int (214.8 QB rating)
* OSU ranked #16 in pass defense vs. QB rating only allowing an average of 111.7 QB rating per game, including factoring in Mayfield's stats.

Or ask Kirby Smart who Mayfield led Oklahoma to a 48 point, losing effort in the Rose Bowl in 2017:
23 of 35 (65.7%), 287 yards, 2 TD, 1 int (147.7 QB rating)
* Georgia ranked #8 in pass defense vs. QB rating only allowing an average of 108.1 QB rating per game, including factoring in Mayfield's stats.

So his totals from the last 3 games against conferences referred to (SEC and Big 10) which included 2 bowl games Mayfield led Oklahoma to an average of 38 points per game while combining to go 69 of 98 (70.4%), 969 yards, 7 TD, 1 int (175 QB rating) which by the way is in line with the all-time career college QB passing efficiency ratings:
1. Sam Bradford - 175.62
2. Baker Mayfield - 175.37 (197.72 over final two years, 2016-2017)
3. Marcus Mariota - 171.75
250. Sean Mannion - 135.76
below that is Tannehill - 134.2

But beyond all the numbers the most important reason to take a chance on Mayfield is this...there is no more important position in team sports when it comes to influencing the outcome of games than QB. That is how damn important the position is. If a team does not have a top-10 QB then that team has QB problems. That is how important the position is. A great QB can make a bad team good (Marino, for example) and a good team great (Brady, for example).

And the two most important factors for success of a QB and the team the QB plays for are ACCURACY and LEADERSHIP. Mayfield is clearly, without a doubt, a MAJOR improvement in those two areas over Tannehill.

So the question isn't "Why should Miami draft Mayfield?" the question is "Why in heck would Miami NOT draft Mayfield?"

Because he represents the lollipop guild?

Hi there!

I'd like to speak on behalf of the "I support Tannehill and also would like to draft his eventual replacement" crowd.

There's a lot of us out here! Pick up one of our brochures!

See, it is...despite a few posters here who seem incapable of muddying up every QB-related thread with their personal agenda...POSSIBLE to support the future direction of the team without saying that Tannehill is garbage.

It's not as polarizing an issue as you might think.

Seriously. Pick up a brochure.

Completely on this side too

Back
Top Bottom