For the Chase naysayers | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

For the Chase naysayers

Waddle would have kept Smith from the Heisman and all those gaudy numbers. He does not touch what Chase did the yr before without Waddle going down. I don't even see that as debatable.

As for when Waddle went down, he had more TD's and yardage than Smith on less catches, I mean those are facts, again can't really debate that. You can split the first two games and last two but the results are the same. I guess you are saying Smith was starting to overtake him but that is conjecture.

I like Waddle also but 5'10 coming off a broken ankle when I may be able to get Moore or Toney in the 2nd, probably go that route.

One more thing the Jefferson comparison can't be made because what GM takes Smith over Jefferson? All I know is Chase was King at LSU and not Jefferson. One was a Lead Dog and one was put in the slot for a reason. Someone saw something.
not accurate

Okay..sure:

38 receptions for 483 yards and 4 touchdowns/ 12.7 per reception- Smitty
25 receptions for 557 yards and 4 touchdowns/ 22.3 per reception- Waddle

Prior to the Tennessee game when Waddle was hurt on the opening kickoff.

:shrug:

Incorrect. Smitty had 5 TD's. Waddle had 4.

Even if we use those numbers Smitty had more receptions and the same number of TD's. Waddle just had more yards and a higher yards/reception average. They were running different routes.

Alabama was breaking in a new quarterback and Smitty was relied on to keep the offense on schedule, just like Jefferson was for LSU while Chase had such a higher yards/reception average. Once Waddle was hurt, Smitty had to take over as the explosive big play threat also in addition to keeping the offense on schedule.

Smitty averaged 17.1 yards/reception over the remaining 9 games after Waddle was hurt on the opening kickoff against Tennessee - while facing the best CB's in college football and bracket coverage. All teams had to do was stop Smitty. There was no Waddle to worry about.

Incorrect. Smitty had 5 TD's. Waddle had 4.

Even if we use those numbers Smitty had more receptions and the same number of TD's. Waddle just had more yards and a higher yards/reception average. They were running different routes.

Alabama was breaking in a new quarterback and Smitty was relied on to keep the offense on schedule, just like Jefferson was for LSU while Chase had such a higher yards/reception average. Once Waddle was hurt, Smitty had to take over as the explosive big play threat also in addition to keeping the offense on schedule.

Smitty averaged 17.1 yards/reception over the remaining 9 games after Waddle was hurt on the opening kickoff against Tennessee - while facing the best CB's in college football and bracket coverage. All teams had to do was stop Smitty. There was no Waddle to worry about.
5 TD's..when you include one rushing touchdown. Sure. We're talking about Receiving here..is Smitty switching to RB? He's not Percy Harvin, a RB/WR combo..don't kid yourself.

Waddle is light years better, for example, as a returner than Smith ever will be running the ball in the backfield, if you wanna compare things other than WR skills.

Let's just be real, here:

Waddle is a better pro prospect than your boy Smitty.

You should be happy..they're both really good, you know? Top 7 talents in the draft, probably.

Waddle is just better. Flat out. More speed. More special. :cool: 😎

The only stat (in part of the 2020 season) I would concede to Waddle over Smith would be yards per route.

Look at it this way. Most would say DeAndre Hopkins is a better #1 WR than Tyreek Hill. DC's are more likely to fear Tyreek though.

Three years ago when everyone was in love with Ruggs I asked Slim about Waddle because he was a tough SOB in the slot who I felt would strike fear in the heart of DC's. Nothing has changed my feelings in this matter. I do feel that Smith is the more polished/better overall WR at this time though.

There are four WR's and one TE I'd give a first round grade to in this draft. I'd consider myself fortunate to add two of the five to my roster. Yes, I am saying I don't think drafting Batemen at 18 is a bad reach.

Adding Chase and Batemen would give us a solid #1 and #2. I'll worry about what to do with Parker and Williams later as both are cheap enough. Fuller and Wilson could man the slot more than adequately and you can generally find slot WR's later in the draft.

There are so may ways we could go in this draft. I'm just thinking we are going to attack WR just like we did the OL last year. Bring in a couple of FA's and still draft 2 or 3 of them.

That said there are OT's, DT's, CB's, DE's, LB'ers and even a safety or two that I would give a first round grade to. All of them would be nice additions to our team.

In this draft, considering what is available, there is no way I'd consider a RB or OC/OG in the first round. I don't think we need an OT bad enough to take one in the first either. I think there will be good/great ones in the second.

The only stat (in part of the 2020 season) I would concede to Waddle over Smith would be yards per route.

Look at it this way. Most would say DeAndre Hopkins is a better #1 WR than Tyreek Hill. DC's are more likely to fear Tyreek though.

Three years ago when everyone was in love with Ruggs I asked Slim about Waddle because he was a tough SOB in the slot who I felt would strike fear in the heart of DC's. Nothing has changed my feelings in this matter. I do feel that Smith is the more polished/better overall WR at this time though.

There are four WR's and one TE I'd give a first round grade to in this draft. I'd consider myself fortunate to add two of the five to my roster. Yes, I am saying I don't think drafting Batemen at 18 is a bad reach.

Adding Chase and Batemen would give us a solid #1 and #2. I'll worry about what to do with Parker and Williams later as both are cheap enough. Fuller and Wilson could man the slot more than adequately and you can generally find slot WR's later in the draft.

There are so may ways we could go in this draft. I'm just thinking we are going to attack WR just like we did the OL last year. Bring in a couple of FA's and still draft 2 or 3 of them.

That said there are OT's, DT's, CB's, DE's, LB'ers and even a safety or two that I would give a first round grade to. All of them would be nice additions to our team.

In this draft, considering what is available, there is no way I'd consider a RB or OC/OG in the first round. I don't think we need an OT bad enough to take one in the first either. I think there will be good/great ones in the second.
And yards per game. And explosive plays. Waddle had plays of 87 and 90 yards and up to that point, Smitty's long receptions were 36 and 34 yards..ahem! 🤘

I mean the odds are stacked against any rookie doing that.

Well, me and lizardboy already have a $100 bet on Smitty & Chase.

Hopefully the LSU gimp's knee is going to be ok so the bet me and you made doesn't turn into a laugher. I'd hate to see you have to pay some Bama gump $250 for betting on a short fat kid coming off a car crash injury.

Last edited by a moderator:
He was officially measured at the Ole Miss pro-day..also he actually DID workout. What did Smitty do, again? Pray tell...squat! :lol:

Put on Smitty's tape against Ole Miss...That's what he did!

Alabama wide receiver DeVonta Smith broke Alabama's single-game receiving touchdown and yardage marks thanks to a spectacular performance in which he snagged 11 passes for 274 yards and five scores in a 59-31 win over Ole Miss on Saturday.

5 TD's..when you include one rushing touchdown. Sure. We're talking about Receiving here..is Smitty switching to RB? He's not Percy Harvin, a RB/WR combo..don't kid yourself.

Waddle is light years better, for example, as a returner than Smith ever will be running the ball in the backfield, if you wanna compare things other than WR skills.

Let's just be real, here:

Waddle is a better pro prospect than your boy Smitty.

You should be happy..they're both really good, you know? Top 7 talents in the draft, probably.

Waddle is just better. Flat out. More speed. More special. :cool: 😎

They're both top 10 prospects on my board. I got that point across before the season even began. Waddle is a fabulous talent.

I'm more interested in all the trash talk about Smitty - he's your chance to show me something.

Back
Top Bottom