For the Chase naysayers | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

For the Chase naysayers

I like you am not here to bash Smith as he seems to be an excellent kid. Are you saying Jefferson and Lamb were close to Chase that year? I just want to be clear. Everyone rated Chase above Jefferson and Lamb was the third WR selected (not that I agreed with that). I am 99.9% sure that most draft experts had Chase rated over all of the WR' from last yr.

As for Smith's season? Outstanding but when you consider before he got hurt, Waddle was actually out performing Smith, he took off after Waddle was out. In contrast Chase put up monster numbers while Jefferson, a Pro Bowler as a rookie was stealing targets. That is a more impressive feat.

We really may not lose with either guy, a rare situation.
Yes, I am saying that.

If I recall correctly Jefferson lined up in the slot 96% percent of the time. He showed how good he is being able to play out wide with Vikings this year. My understanding of why Jefferson lasted until the 2nd round was because teams didn’t know if he could play out wide.

How many GMs right now would take Chase over Jefferson?

CeeDee was phenomenal in 2019 as well. If he had Burrow throwing to him, I could see him putting up as big of numbers as Chase.

If Chase played in 2020, he most likely doesn’t match his production from the year before without Burrow. It doesn’t mean he wouldn’t have been a better player being a year older, he just wouldn’t have as much production with Burrow throwing him dimes down the field.

I am not saying Chase didn’t earn all the accolades that came his way in 2019, he did. Playing at that level at 19 is all the more impressive.

I just disagree with the statement it wasn’t even close.

No, Waddle wasn’t outperforming Smith. They were both playing at a high level.

Waddle certainly had the bigger numbers the first two games. Waddle is such a tough cover with his speed that is for sure.

The final 2 games when Waddle was healthy Smith had...

24 catches, 331 yards, 3 TDs + 1 TD rush

Waddle had...

12 catches, 276 yards, 3 TDs

Last edited:
Chase will go at #5 and we will take Sewell at #6.

I want Pitts but I can just feel this about to happen.
Sewell would be a great player to add, but we’ve added high picks on OL and signed high dollar FA OL already. I think we are more likely to draft an OL rounds 2 or 3.
Center Meinertz is my guess from the Senior Bowl

Yes, I am saying that.

If I recall correctly Jefferson lined up in the slot 96% percent of the time. He showed how good he is being able to play out wide with Vikings this year. My understanding of why Jefferson lasted until the 2nd round was because teams didn’t know if he could play out wide.

How many GMs right now would take Chase over Jefferson?

CeeDee was phenomenal in 2019 as well. If he had Burrow throwing to him, I could see him putting up as big of numbers as Chase.

If Chase played in 2020, he most likely doesn’t match his production from the year before without Burrow. It doesn’t mean he wouldn’t have been a better player being a year older, he just wouldn’t have as much production with Burrow throwing him dimes down the field.

I am not saying Chase didn’t earn all the accolades that came his way in 2019, he did. Playing at that level at 19 is all the more impressive.

I just disagree with the statement it wasn’t even close.

No, Waddle wasn’t outperforming Smith. They were both playing at a high level.

Waddle certainly had the bigger numbers the first two games. Waddle is such a tough cover with his speed that is for sure.

The final 2 games when Waddle was healthy Smith had...

24 catches, 331 yards, 3 TDs + 1 TD rush

Waddle had...

12 catches, 276 yards, 3 TDs
Call me crazy but when I look at a lot of tape Chase actually made Burrow look pretty damn good not the other way around. I saw many underthrown balls that Chase has to reach back for, costing him even more yardage, a lot of jump balls Chase is bringing down.

If Chase plays in 2020 he doesn't have an experienced QB like Jones, an offensive line like Bama, which was the best in the country or a stacked D. Not exactly a fair playing field, let Smith play on a decimated LSU and let Chase play with that stacked deck and see how that plays.

As for close, no doubt both studs, I just think Chase has better measurables.

Waddle would have kept Smith from the Heisman and all those gaudy numbers. He does not touch what Chase did the yr before without Waddle going down. I don't even see that as debatable.

As for when Waddle went down, he had more TD's and yardage than Smith on less catches, I mean those are facts, again can't really debate that. You can split the first two games and last two but the results are the same. I guess you are saying Smith was starting to overtake him but that is conjecture.

I like Waddle also but 5'10 coming off a broken ankle when I may be able to get Moore or Toney in the 2nd, probably go that route.

One more thing the Jefferson comparison can't be made because what GM takes Smith over Jefferson? All I know is Chase was King at LSU and not Jefferson. One was a Lead Dog and one was put in the slot for a reason. Someone saw something.

I am scared of of chase a little. I could be wrong but I don't see any elite traits and I don't fully believe his unofficial 40 time.

Devonta Smith I at least know has elite agility at the least.

Again I could be wrong it's just the way I feel.
I'm way more scared of Smith than Chase.... Smith is very smooth and quick with top notch acceleration but he is very small. One good hit could break him but at the same time he is very good at making defenders miss. As for Chase, he's very physical so we wouldn't have to worry about someone rocking him as much as we would with Smith. Chase's 40 time was just the cherry on top imo. Good hands, physical, good footwork, and now speed!

Anybody naysaying Ja’Marr Chase shouldn’t be taken seriously.

Sure, he has weaknesses and warts just like everyone else. But he’s an elite level talent. Period.

I can certainly understand having a preference among Chase, Pitts, Smith and Waddle. But downplaying and nitpicking any of them is pure silliness.

They are all elite level talents, regardless how their careers develop and unfold.

In short, there’s a lot more to like about them than there is not to like.

Anybody naysaying Ja’Marr Chase shouldn’t be taken seriously.

Sure, he has weaknesses and warts just like everyone else. But he’s an elite level talent. Period.
His weaknesses are pretty hard to point out though imo

Madness! So the logic of trading back from 12 to 6 and giving up the 1st rounder is to be in position to get Sewell? Ewh!

Surely if they wanted a OL guy a pretty decent one would have been available at 12? No?

Then you do what? Try and address the reciever position in round 2+
I would assume...but it’s occurred to me lately that it’s at least a possible strategy that they may have in mind an overpowering line and running game to enable Tua to be more successful.....Sewell and Najee Harris in round one would a nice start with Creed Humphrey at 36...a wideout at 50.

I’ve made clear Pitts is my choice followed by Chase...I’m just thinking about what they might be thinking.

I’d say the same about all of them.
I'd have to disagree. Pitts and Chase's weaknesses and flaws are hard to point out.
Smith on the other hand is built like a high school receiver which may or may not be an issue for him in the NFL. Smith is very talented outside of his size though.
As for Waddle, it's pretty hard to point out his weaknesses outside of his injury. He can do it all and is a bit more built than Smith is.

I hate judging Smith's weight just because I know size doesn't mean everything but since we don't really have a 40 time on him, I'm a bit concerned about him the most. All in all I do see all 4 of those guys still having a solid career!

I'd have to disagree. Pitts and Chase's weaknesses and flaws are hard to point out.
Smith on the other hand is built like a high school receiver which may or may not be an issue for him in the NFL. Smith is very talented outside of his size though.
As for Waddle, it's pretty hard to point out his weaknesses outside of his injury. He can do it all and is a bit more built than Smith is.

I hate judging Smith's weight just because I know size doesn't mean everything but since we don't really have a 40 time on him, I'm a bit concerned about him the most. All in all I do see all 4 of those guys still having a solid career!
Solid points. I Agree.

I would assume...but it’s occurred to me lately that it’s at least a possible strategy that they may have in mind an overpowering line and running game to enable Tua to be more successful.....Sewell and Najee Harris in round one would a nice start with Creed Humphrey at 36...a wideout at 50.

I’ve made clear Pitts is my choice followed by Chase...I’m just thinking about what they might be thinking.

And what happens with near certainity when Parker, Williams, Grant,Albert, and Fuller miss time during the season?

This is not the 80's.......drafting sewell at 6 would be dumb. You need big time playmakers these years to win big in the NFL. Not saying the O-line doesn't matter because it does. But we've invested enough in it and you need to let them develop together. As for skill positions, we need to add at least two players but really 3 would be the ideal(including RB)

Back
Top Bottom