? for the supplimental draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

? for the supplimental draft

23RB23

Towel Boy
Reaction score
Hey everybody i was wondering when the supplimental draft is and how does it work? Is it like a blind auction with draft picks?? I really have no idea so if you could help me understand how we might be able to get the CB Oliver in this years supplimental draft i would appreciate it.

The teams submit the name of the player they want and the Round # of the pick they are willing to forfeit. The seeding is weighted slightly differently than the draft, but basically the priority for the teams are determined like the draft. Hence, the Dolphins are somewhere around 9th in priority. If they submitted a 1rst round pick , for example, we would in essence be using next years 1st round pick on him. Its a dicey situation. If the Dolphins have a pick next year in the 15-20 range, its probably a good pick (depending on how high they ranked him). If they end up near the top 10 again, then its a tougher call.

The teams submit the name of the player they want and the Round # of the pick they are willing to forfeit. The seeding is weighted slightly differently than the draft, but basically the priority for the teams are determined like the draft. Hence, the Dolphins are somewhere around 9th in priority. If they submitted a 1rst round pick , for example, we would in essence be using next years 1st round pick on him. Its a dicey situation. If the Dolphins have a pick next year in the 15-20 range, its probably a good pick (depending on how high they ranked him). If they end up near the top 10 again, then its a tougher call.

Teams hardly ever use first rounders in the supplemental draft, it's just too risky. Even if a guy who would have projected as a first rounder a year later enters, such as Paul Oliver this year, it is too risky to spend anything higher than a second, if that. Last year, Ahmad Brooks would have been a first rounder had he entered the regular draft, I believe he was a third rounder in the supplemental. These guys almost always have some sort of character/academic/injury concerns and have to be considered damaged goods.

Back
Top Bottom