For those who didnt want Peyton Manning to MIA | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

For those who didnt want Peyton Manning to MIA

I for one wouldn't trade RT for him right now straight up. Peyton is MUCH better than Ryan will probably ever be, but even with Peyton we aren't winning a superbowl and he is nearing the end of his career. Ryan is our future, good or bad, and we need a future not a one or two year patch up. We will grow and build with a YOUNG QB not a QB in the twilight of his career. I am excited about our future with Ryan and think/hope we can put the pieces in place around him to be a championship team again. It's not going to happen this year or next but it wouldnt have with Peyton either.

I for one wouldn't trade RT for him right now straight up. Peyton is MUCH better than Ryan will probably ever be, but even with Peyton we aren't winning a superbowl and he is nearing the end of his career. Ryan is our future, good or bad, and we need a future not a one or two year patch up. We will grow and build with a YOUNG QB not a QB in the twilight of his career. I am excited about our future with Ryan and think/hope we can put the pieces in place around him to be a championship team again. It's not going to happen this year or next but it wouldnt have with Peyton either.

I think the ideal plan was to let Manning play now and let Tannehill learn, ala Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers

Nobody is winning a Super Bowl with Peyton, because Peyton doesn't "WIN SUPERBOWLS."

He won ONE.

ONE and done.

He's not even the right guy for this team because THIS team needs a full rebuild. Not a guy to get us to 9-7, sneak into the playoffs and get us pasted by the Ravens in the first round. Even if as FANS that's what we'd like to see - It just wouldn't have been the right move.

Peyton would win a Super Bowl with this team with Brandon Marshall.

Yes I feel a little better now, It really irratated me at the time that people actually didnt want Peyton Manning, so I had to say it

:rolleyes2: Calm down there, dude. Besides, does it really mattered who wanted Peyton here? Yes, it would've been nice to have him here, but he didn't want to be here and that's all that matters AFAIC. He's only got 2-3 years left in the NFL at most...we need to develop a QB for the future anyways and that's exactly what we're doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many people say that he was primarily interested in going to Denver because of Elway....I bet if Stephen Ross would have gotten Marino to talk to Manning and maybe offered Manning an ownership percentage in the team, like he did with the Williams Sisters, Fergie, J-Lo, etc maybe that would have convinced him.....but with Ireland around and all of the clown moves he has made I am sure Peyton decided to look elsewhere. From my understanding, Manning has a house around South Beach so he must love the area, but he probably didn't care much for the ownership and front office. Oh well....can't change the past.

Many people say that he was primarily interested in going to Denver because of Elway....I bet if Stephen Ross would have gotten Marino to talk to Manning and maybe offered Manning an ownership percentage in the team, like he did with the Williams Sisters, Fergie, J-Lo, etc maybe that would have convinced him.....but with Ireland around and all of the clown moves he has made I am sure Peyton decided to look elsewhere. From my understanding, Manning has a house around South Beach so he must love the area, but he probably didn't care much for the ownership and front office. Oh well....can't change the past.

I think he did?

You can't just offer a player ownership percentage in a team like that. It's compensation. It counts against the salary cap.

Why do you think he didn't choose San Francisco or Tennessee? San Francisco has a great team all around, he would have a great chance to win a Super Bowl there. He went to school in Tennessee and loves the area.

They couldn't match a 4 year 100 million dollar offer.

You can't just offer a player ownership percentage in a team like that. It's compensation. It counts against the salary cap.

Why do you think he didn't choose San Francisco or Tennessee? San Francisco has a great team all around, he would have a great chance to win a Super Bowl there. He went to school in Tennessee and loves the area.

They couldn't match a 4 year 100 million dollar offer.

Yeah but what if Ross told Manning that when he retired he would be offered an ownership stake in the Dolphins...how would that count against the cap? I think Mr. Bowlen of the Broncos did the same thing with John Elway.

Yeah but what if Ross told Manning that when he retired he would be offered an ownership stake in the Dolphins...how would that count against the cap? I think Mr. Bowlen of the Broncos did the same thing with John Elway.

I'll give you two choices:

Option 1) $100,000,000 contract in writing, with a boatload of it up front, right now. You will join a team that made the playoffs last season with the worst QB in the NFL behind the helm. You will play in a weak division and you have tremendously explosive young weapons to work with in the form of Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker.

Option 2) $30,000,000 contract, with the bulk of the money coming in year two, and I promise I will give you a 2% ownership stake in the team when you retire. Assuming I'm still the owner at that time. Also, you're joining a team that went 6-10, plays in the same division as the Patriots, and your outside weapon is Brian Hartline.

He's not a ****ing moron. Or did you think that Steve Ross is the moron, and that he would promise him like 10% of the team or more?

Pretty sure that proved to be illegal by the CBA. The Titans essentially offered him that deal. It obvious never happened, but the NFL came out with a statement about that.

edit: huh, look at that. Googled it to check and see and apparently it was legal. To tired to search around to see if the NFL actually did come out with a statement, and ownership is probably different, but unless im mistaken it looks legit.

Tennessee Titans owner Bud Adams said he plans to offer Peyton Manning a contract that would make the star quarterback a member of his franchise “for life.”
He actually can do it, too

FOXSports.com has learned that kind of unusual arrangement isn’t barred under NFL rules. It also could set a precedent for other franchises that might want to sweeten the pot when courting star players

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/peyton-manning-tennessee-titans-can-offer-lifetime-deal-031512

Back
Top Bottom