For those who say Ronnie Brown fits the Linehan system... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

For those who say Ronnie Brown fits the Linehan system...

I have 3 Auburn games on Tivo and almost all the short yardage/goal line carries went through Brown in these games. There was a series where Caddy got 1st and 2nd down but then Ronnie would get 3rd down because Caddy couldn't put it in. Caddy sometimes gets stuck in between the Tackles and Guards and cant get out unless he runs backward, which is something u dont want ur Back doing unless he's barry Sanders. And When caddy played HB, Ronnie was either lined up at WR or H-Back. No other back in the draft hs the versatility of Ronnie. It's going to either be Cedric or Ronnie, so get ready miami.

DoLpHiNz34 said:
Do you all feel that Ronnie should still be the pick now that Saban has said.....

"I think that everybody has a way of being productive at that position. Like my dad used to say, ‘There’s an a-- for every seat in this world.’ Some people buy pink Cadillacs, and other people have a yellow Volkswagen. Both are very efficient, effective ways of transportation. Different styles of running backs can have great success. Some guys are Barry Sanders types, some guys are Jim Brown types. Those two guys are probably as different as anyone can be as running backs, but both were very effective. I think that the most important thing is, ‘How effective is the guy?’ Not what you’re style is. Everybody runs the same plays. It’s not like some guys are a little bit better runners outside versus inside, or cut-back plays versus slashing type plays. I think then you adapt your system to that production to what the guy’s strengths are so that he can be productive in your particular offense."

It seemed that a lot of arguments for H2 were his catching ability and speed, etc. to fit Linehan's system. With this latest statement from Saban, do you feel he is still a clear cut notch above the other two Rbs or does he drop a little bit? Does Cadillac or Benson garner more value/attention being that the scheme would be changed to fit the strengths of the particular player in the backfield?

I think Ronnie is still a cut above the rest, even with this said. It really has nothing to do with Ronnie fitting Linehan's system better. It has a lot more to do with the fact that Ronnie will affect the game in more ways than the other two backs. Ronnie Brown can be the feature point of the offense in both the running and the passing game, much like Green Bay uses Ahman Green or St. Louis used to use Marshall Faulk. That makes him a weapon, which is more than just being a runner.

I'm not taking anything away from Cadillac and Cedric. They may very well outrush Ronnie Brown when it comes down to it. It's just that when you take everything into account such as running ability, pass receiving ability, and blocking ability on blitzes, Ronnie is a notch above the other two.

If Saban and Linehan would change the system for a particular person, then why would they bother bringing in Gus Frerotte. The reason they brought in Gus is because he IS a "Linehan Offense Guy." Whomever they draft on offense whether it be a RB, WR, or QB will have to fit that offense.

A consistant theme seems to be that Brown is more versitile and the other two are more produtive runners. Now please excuse the Trump like point of view, but when does versitility ever over shadow out right production? In 10 years, it sure would be nice to NOT be able to say, "Yup, Caddy and Benson have gained a lot more yards, but our back can play H-back and WR."

dolfreak said:
If Saban and Linehan would change the system for a particular person, then why would they bother bringing in Gus Frerotte. The reason they brought in Gus is because he IS a "Linehan Offense Guy." Whomever they draft on offense whether it be a RB, WR, or QB will have to fit that offense.

I'm not really trying to make an argument for either. I just thought it was interesting that Saban said he would adjust the system to fit the player. Everybody has been saying that Ronnie fits Linehans system so well, blah blah blah and now were learning that there isn't really a system yet or that it is an adaptive system. You're trying to go against what he himself said (read the quote).

I think Frerotte was brought in to speed up the learning curve of Feeley or Smith/Rodgers if we take that route. Not because they won't change the system.

your acting as if ronnie cannot run.... he's a bruser... which saban likes, but on top of that he can block and catch better that the other two.... i don't care who you are if you have 2 guys that have basically the same talent in "running styles" but one has more "big play ability" in blocking and catching.... who are you gonna take...

Maybe because for every Ron Dayne (best "runner" in college that year) theres a Brian Westbrook and Ahman Green, guys that can do EVERYTHING on the field. Why do you think TJ Duckett(1st rounder) aint playing that much?? Warrick Dunn is VERSATILE. Saban Loves versatility and it shows in his LSU backs. He had Kevin Faulk(good pass catcher and F*ckin PATRIOT) , LeBrandon Toefield(same) , and lets not forget Domanick Davis (VERSATILE in PASS CARCHING and Running ability). SABAN wants someone that worthy of being on the field AT ALL TIMES. So expect a RB fellas.

it's no surprise that saban wants to trade down because he covets no player but likes a number of them inc. wr/d-fense/qb

dolfreak said:
Maybe because for every Ron Dayne (best "runner" in college that year) theres a Brian Westbrook and Ahman Green, guys that can do EVERYTHING on the field. Why do you think TJ Duckett(1st rounder) aint playing that much?? Warrick Dunn is VERSATILE. Saban Loves versatility and it shows in his LSU backs. He had Kevin Faulk(good pass catcher and F*ckin PATRIOT) , LeBrandon Toefield(same) , and lets not forget Domanick Davis (VERSATILE in PASS CARCHING and Running ability). SABAN wants someone that worthy of being on the field AT ALL TIMES. So expect a RB fellas.

Whats funny is that all the guys you mentioned don't really compare to Brown as much as they do Caddilac. (size, quickness, etc)

Westbrook-5'10 205lbs
Green-6'0 218lbs
Dunn-5'9 180lbs
Faulk-5'8 208lbs
Toefield-5'11 230lbs
Davis-5'9 221lbs

Brown-6'0 233lbs
Caddy-5'10 217lbs

All of these guys are more shifty..break your ankles kind than power runners, IMO.

caddy isn't exactly tiny - i like him too - but i really like the fact that ronnie can catch a swing pass and take it straight ahead..., dbs watch out..., there will be a lot of side-stepping going on...

Do you'all remember the fits Thurman Thomas used to give us?Thats the kind
of production Ronnie will give us,I believe.

AZStryker said:
A consistant theme seems to be that Brown is more versitile and the other two are more produtive runners. Now please excuse the Trump like point of view, but when does versitility ever over shadow out right production? In 10 years, it sure would be nice to NOT be able to say, "Yup, Caddy and Benson have gained a lot more yards, but our back can play H-back and WR."

THANK YOU, that's what I have been trying to say, Benson is the best RUNNING BACK, Brown is the best "utility" back with the "excellent" receiving skills and blah blah blah

Krie30511 said:
your acting as if ronnie cannot run.... he's a bruser... which saban likes, but on top of that he can block and catch better that the other two.... i don't care who you are if you have 2 guys that have basically the same talent in "running styles" but one has more "big play ability" in blocking and catching.... who are you gonna take...

Holy crap dude, your signature rocks, I thought I was the ONLY one who wanted us to take LeFors!!!!!!!!!!!! Although I think we can get him in round 4, which would be the ultimate steal

Back
Top Bottom