For those who say Ronnie Brown fits the Linehan system... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

For those who say Ronnie Brown fits the Linehan system...

DoLpHiNz34

122.10.5!!!
Reaction score
Do you all feel that Ronnie should still be the pick now that Saban has said.....

"I think that everybody has a way of being productive at that position. Like my dad used to say, ‘There’s an a-- for every seat in this world.’ Some people buy pink Cadillacs, and other people have a yellow Volkswagen. Both are very efficient, effective ways of transportation. Different styles of running backs can have great success. Some guys are Barry Sanders types, some guys are Jim Brown types. Those two guys are probably as different as anyone can be as running backs, but both were very effective. I think that the most important thing is, ‘How effective is the guy?’ Not what you’re style is. Everybody runs the same plays. It’s not like some guys are a little bit better runners outside versus inside, or cut-back plays versus slashing type plays. I think then you adapt your system to that production to what the guy’s strengths are so that he can be productive in your particular offense."

It seemed that a lot of arguments for H2 were his catching ability and speed, etc. to fit Linehan's system. With this latest statement from Saban, do you feel he is still a clear cut notch above the other two Rbs or does he drop a little bit? Does Cadillac or Benson garner more value/attention being that the scheme would be changed to fit the strengths of the particular player in the backfield?

This sounds like maybe he wants Cadillac Williams. Despite his size, he just gets it done and is a very versatile player with that style that gets it done all the time.

Yeah....but he is talking about 'running styles'........but IF Ronnie is superior in the passing game and as a blocker....that is a huge plus and would help him fit better into ANY system (all teams pass last I checked).

AAAAAAGGGGHHHHH!

I can't wait until draft day I'm so excited to see who we are going to pick. Is it me or will it just not get here fast enough? :D

I'm hoping we pick a RB; if not then a QB. I will be disappointed if we trade down.

burger13 said:
Yeah....but he is talking about 'running styles'........but IF Ronnie is superior in the passing game and as a blocker....that is a huge plus and would help him fit better into ANY system (all teams pass last I checked).

Obviously, but mostly everyone agrees that out of the 3, Caddy and Benson are the better pure runners. The edge to Ronnie seemed to be leaning heavily on him fitting into the Linehan system better. With the statement from Saban, does he lose that edge a little? Do you take the better pure runner or the guy that catches and blocks better? Just looking for opinions...

DoLpHiNz34 said:
Do you all feel that Ronnie should still be the pick now that Saban has said.....

"I think that everybody has a way of being productive at that position. Like my dad used to say, ‘There’s an a-- for every seat in this world.’ Some people buy pink Cadillacs, and other people have a yellow Volkswagen. Both are very efficient, effective ways of transportation. Different styles of running backs can have great success. Some guys are Barry Sanders types, some guys are Jim Brown types. Those two guys are probably as different as anyone can be as running backs, but both were very effective. I think that the most important thing is, ‘How effective is the guy?’ Not what you’re style is. Everybody runs the same plays. It’s not like some guys are a little bit better runners outside versus inside, or cut-back plays versus slashing type plays. I think then you adapt your system to that production to what the guy’s strengths are so that he can be productive in your particular offense."

It seemed that a lot of arguments for H2 were his catching ability and speed, etc. to fit Linehan's system. With this latest statement from Saban, do you feel he is still a clear cut notch above the other two Rbs or does he drop a little bit? Does Cadillac or Benson garner more value/attention being that the scheme would be changed to fit the strengths of the particular player in the backfield?

I don't know that he ever was "clear cut above the rest". That being said, I'm not really sure if he gains or drops in this case, but it sounds as if Saban is hinting at the fact that he might not necessarily be taking brown "because he is what fits" since he said "you adapt your system to fit that guys style" and everyone has been saying Brown because "Brown's style fits their gameplan".

Agent51 said:
I don't know that he ever was "clear cut above the rest". That being said, I'm not really sure if he gains or drops in this case, but it sounds as if Saban is hinting at the fact that he might not necessarily be taking brown "because he is what fits" since he said "you adapt your system to fit that guys style" and everyone has been saying Brown because "Brown's style fits their gameplan".

On this board, he's the clear cut favorite.

DoLpHiNz34 said:
Obviously, but mostly everyone agrees that out of the 3, Caddy and Benson are the better pure runners. The edge to Ronnie seemed to be leaning heavily on him fitting into the Linehan system better. With the statement from Saban, does he lose that edge a little? Do you take the better pure runner or the guy that catches and blocks better? Just looking for opinions...

IMO, I take the complete back in this case because I don't think that Cadillac and especially not Benson, have that big an edge in pure running ability. The speed and versatility that Brown has shown puts him ahead in my mind......although I wouldn't be surprised at all for Cadillac to be the better back when it's all said and done. It's a crapshoot.....I just don't want Benson.

burger13 said:
IMO, I take the complete back in this case because I don't think that Cadillac and especially not Benson, have that big an edge in pure running ability. The speed and versatility that Brown has shown puts him ahead in my mind......although I wouldn't be surprised at all for Cadillac to be the better back when it's all said and done. It's a crapshoot.....I just don't want Benson.

I think both Caddy and Benson can make more out of less. I don't know if that makes sense.

i know what your sayin Dolphinz34 and i agree with you

DoLpHiNz34 said:
I think both Caddy and Benson can make more out of less. I don't know if that makes sense.

I get what you're saying, and I agree to an extent.........I think that Benson would be the best of the three in lowering his shoulder and getting an extra yard or two at the end of every run.

And I think that Caddy would definately be the best of 'creating something out of nothing' and finding the creases (sp?) out of the three.....

But I think that Brown would be second on both of those lists....he has the size to get the tough yards better than Caddy, and IMO he has better vision and explosiveness than Benson. Add in that I think that he's the superior player in the passing game and that's how I come to my conclusion.

DoLpHiNz34 said:
On this board, he's the clear cut favorite.

well i thought you were talking in Saban's eyes, not the boards

As long as they draft a running back in the first 3 rounds, I'll be happy.

Agent51 said:
well i thought you were talking in Saban's eyes, not the boards

If I knew what things looked like from his eyes, I'd be getting paid by ESPN/NFL channel. :cooldude:

burger13 said:
I get what you're saying, and I agree to an extent.........I think that Benson would be the best of the three in lowering his shoulder and getting an extra yard or two at the end of every run.

And I think that Caddy would definately be the best of 'creating something out of nothing' and finding the creases (sp?) out of the three.....

But I think that Brown would be second on both of those lists....he has the size to get the tough yards better than Caddy, and IMO he has better vision and explosiveness than Benson. Add in that I think that he's the superior player in the passing game and that's how I come to my conclusion.

Yep...what I've noticed form some of the games though, is that Caddy was more the short yardage back and is actually more effective at picking up 2-3 yards than Brown, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom