For those who use the "Cadillac started so how is Ronnie B better?" debate. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

For those who use the "Cadillac started so how is Ronnie B better?" debate.

JHWAUEX

Practice Squad
Reaction score
[font=&quot]As an [/font][font=&quot]Auburn[/font][font=&quot] fan perusing the NFL boards let me again clear this up! [/font]

Lets say you have 2 GREAT running backs. One is smaller and shifty, adequate hands and adequate blocking abilities. One is bigger, an excellent blocker and has arguably the BEST hands on the team. You decide you want them BOTH on the field at the same time. Which do you start the game with at Tailback and which do you start the game at the hybrid position that plays tailback/fullback/wide receiver/running back.

That is what we are dealing with here. We wanted to use them both, Ronnie was the most versatile. Cadillac could do the other things but not as well. Watch an Auburn game, you would be amazed how many times Ronnie shifted out of the backfield into a slot or wide out position.

It wasn't a matter of one being better than the other, it was a matter of optomizing their skills. That is why Cadillac always started at TB, because Ronnie was our X factor, he was the guy you HAD to gameplan against.

As a student the same age of Ronnie I've seen pretty much every snap he's taken at Auburn. As a fan of College and Pro football I can tell you he will be the most productive player taken in the top five.

Now don't think because I said RB was the "X" factor he is unfamiliar as TB. Ronnie has lined up plenty in the tailback position. After Caddy got hurt in 2002 he more or less ran for 1000 yards in six games. Including 163 yards at UF (pretty much all in the 2nd half) and 33 carries for 224 yards against Ole Miss. That was his lone time in his career without splitting carries with Carnell and he definitely shined. Last year he averaged roughly 13 carries a game and roughly 4 or 5 catches.

I promise you, if you get him, he'll be an all-pro before you can say "Ricky Williams smokes pot."

Last edited by a moderator:
Well said. Whats your opinion of Caddy? I'm not jumping ship just yet.

saves said:
Well said. Whats your opinion of Caddy? I'm not jumping ship just yet.

At the risk of sounding like an Auburn homer, I will tell you that Caddy will be a great pro as well.

One thing that bothers me is how people knock him about being prone to injury. His two injuries were ABSOLUTE flukes. One he was caught in a pile and someone just happened to hit him in the wrong moment when his leg was upright, the other was a collar bone break when he hit the ground. Neither make him "injury prone." They might make him unlucky, but in my opinion if you're injure prone your often twisting an ankle or pulling a hammy, not getting fluke breaks that just happened to happen to him.

The thing about Carnell is that he runs like he is 240lbs and is as quick as 150lb RB. He doesn't have the breakaway speed or hands Ronnie does, but he has a few intangibles that Ronnie doesn't. I can't tell you how many times Caddy has turned an apparent 5 yard loss into a 3 yard gain. That doesn't sound like much, but when you've seen it as many times as I have it starts to add up.

Caddy has a great intensity and great character. Ronnie has great character as well, he isn't quite as openly fired up as Cadillac, but he is effective non-the-less.

And finally just to prove I'm not just an Auburn homer I think Benson will make a good pro too despite what some have started saying. He reminds me of an Edgerin James. He doesn't have the moves, but he has good straight away speed and power. The only knock I have on Benson is the lack of run defense in the Big XII the past few years. But I'll leave it at that.

Caddy/Ronnie/Benson will all make great pros. I just think from what I know and have seen Ronnie Brown has a potential as a running back that no one has seen in quite sometime.

Ronnie sort of reminds me of Brian Westbrook, except bigger, stronger, and maybe faster. They both could line up at wr or go in the backfield.

I got to tell you all something...................Its going to be Caddy who will be doing it all, if he gets utilized correcty. Caddy is more like Edgerring James cept maybe a touch lighter.

Can Ronnie line up under center? That's where our real need is.

Did you not see our rushing problems last year? The real problem is behind Feeley.

Fitz said:
Did you not see our rushing problems last year? The real problem is behind Feeley.

I didn't see a RB throw 5 int's for TDs plus one other on a fumble. But of course that was the o-line's and the RBs fault.

With no threat of a running game at all the defense didn't have to stay honest. they just dropped back in the best coverage possible and waited for feeley to make a mistake, they didn't even glance at gordan or who the hell ever was running the ball. It makes me sick some of you people don't see this.:shakeno:

Fitz said:
With no threat of a running game at all the defense didn't have to stay honest. they just dropped back in the best coverage possible and waited for feeley to make a mistake, they didn't even glance at gordan or who the hell ever was running the ball. It makes me sick some of you people don't see this.:shakeno:

I would be more in agreement with you if Feeley's numbers were more decidedly average as opposed to down right pathetic. There is no excuse...none...for a QB rating of 61.7, a 11/15 TD to Int ratio and 5 int's returned for TDs.

Our rushing stats from week 11 on (when Feeley took over) were as follows...

11: 23-69
12: 26-49
13: 26-106
14: 22-70
15: 20-52
16: 25-116
17: 20-97

Those numbers show a team with an average running game, certainly not as bad as some here make it out to be and not much different than what we've come to expect in Miami. Even when the yards were low, the attempts were reasonable, which in and of itself would take pressure off of Feeley. The excuses for Feeley become less credible each day.

thepoolboy said:
I would be more in agreement with you if Feeley's numbers were more decidedly average as opposed to down right pathetic. There is no excuse...none...for a QB rating of 61.7, a 11/15 TD to Int ratio and 5 int's returned for TDs.

Our rushing stats from week 11 on (when Feeley took over) were as follows...

11: 23-69
12: 26-49
13: 26-106
14: 22-70
15: 20-52
16: 25-116
17: 20-97

Those numbers show a team with an average running game, certainly not as bad as some here make it out to be and not much different than what we've come to expect in Miami. Even when the yards were low, the attempts were reasonable, which in and of itself would take pressure off of Feeley. The excuses for Feeley become less credible each day.

Dude, average?? maybe week 13, 16, 17? The rest is horrible!! The problem was the Oline, without a doubt! Yea Feeley didnt play great, but dont forget he was in his first year starting! and thats without a running game and the worst Oline in the NFL! The Oline will improve with Houck, and with a good Rb/running game, Feeley will be fine back there!

knight6jb said:
Dude, average?? maybe week 13, 16, 17? The rest is horrible!! The problem was the Oline, without a doubt! Yea Feeley didnt play great, but dont forget he was in his first year starting! and thats without a running game and the worst Oline in the NFL! The Oline will improve with Houck, and with a good Rb/running game, Feeley will be fine back there!

How are those numbers any different than most years in Dolphinland? Besides, simple rushing attempts holds a certain level of value. As for the o-line, Feeley was sacked an average of 2.1 times per game - to me, that is quite respectable. By way of comparison, David Carr was sacked an average of 3.1 times per game. You don't hear Houston fans making excuses for him. Why? Because he threw for 3531 yards and held a rating of 83.5, so they don't have to make excuses.

Feeley's performance does not hold up to scrutiny when compared to other QBs in the NFL.

thepoolboy said:
How are those numbers any different than most years in Dolphinland? Besides, simple rushing attempts holds a certain level of value. As for the o-line, Feeley was sacked an average of 2.1 times per game - to me, that is quite respectable. By way of comparison, David Carr was sacked an average of 3.1 times per game. You don't hear Houston fans making excuses for him. Why? Because he threw for 3531 yards and held a rating of 83.5, so they don't have to make excuses.

Feeley's performance does not hold up to scrutiny when compared to other QBs in the NFL.

Well considering the last 2 season b4 this year, we had ricky, so that is very different. The years b4 the Oline wasn't great but much better then what we had this year. Feeley might have been sacked 2.1 times a game, but its not the sacks that only matter, its the amount of pressure, and if you watched any of the games you would have seen 1-2 seconds after the snap, on passing plays, he had someone right in his face. It takes time and patience with new QB's man, not everyone is a Marino or even Rothlisberger (sp) who can come in right away and not look bad. On top of that he didn't have an experience O coordinator, and had Wanny/Bates as his HC. Are you going to expect Smith or Rodgers to come in and be great?? It's all about time, if he doesn't improve this year then we might have to start thinking about it, but you can't say well he didnt play well last year, which was the most messed up year in DOlphins history, so lets get someone new.

We had the second worse rushing O in the league last year, and there is a huge difference between Feeley and Marino (didn't need a great running attack to produce). and the in between, we all know Fiedler sucks! He had 5 years with a decent Oline and 2 years with a great RB and D. Just give him a chance man.

They started C.williams .I thould they splilt the carries.

Back
Top Bottom