Forget size, Dolphins' De'Von Achane says: ‘I know what I'm capable of' | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Forget size, Dolphins' De'Von Achane says: ‘I know what I'm capable of'

How relevant is Tyreek Hill's catch radius?
Well, if it were zero he wouldn't be much good as a WR. If it were infinite, he would never have an incomplete pass. Therefore it is relevant. How relevant is debatable.

Not sure what that has to do with a RBs blocking ability, though.

As a DC, I would think it risky to send a blitz with Achane in the backfield. He’s likely not there for protection so missing the mark or over-pursuit by DE or LB could create nice openings for Tua and him to exploit.
I mean... I dont get why people want players that are average/good at everything, fools gold.

You want super powers and a guy that can put them in position to succeed...

Lets be honest here, with Hill and Waddle on the field, a 4.32 RB doesnt need to block to impede pass rush, if anything, Achane running by a DL full speed will scare the **** out of them.

I mean... I dont get why people want players that are average/good at everything, fools gold.

Lets be honest here, with Hill and Waddle on the field, a 4.32 RB doesnt need to block to impede pass rush, if anything, Achane running by a DL full speed will scare the **** out of them.
Very much agree with this.

I think you may be reading between the lines if you see some of the posts as complaining, nitpicking or disappointment. Pointing out a player's possible shortcomings is pretty common even with players that ppl like. It isn't personal. It's just discussion.

That is not the case for me, at least. I'm excited to have the speed and talent.

Yeah, IDK from where loco is getting a 4” difference. He’s acting loco ;)

The article just posted about Achane says he measured 5’8.5” at the combine and the Dolphins now have him listed at 5’9”.

So not only is he NOT shorter than Tyreek, the 4” comment is absurd.
Google their heights.

I think you may be reading between the lines if you see some of the posts as complaining, nitpicking or disappointment. Pointing out a player's possible shortcomings is pretty common even with players that ppl like. It isn't personal. It's just discussion.

That is not the case for me, at least. I'm excited to have the speed and talent.
But the point is, McDaniel knows Achane's shortcoming when it comes to blocking. He won't put him in a position to have to do that, so pointing it out seems moot.

But the point is, McDaniel knows Achane's shortcoming when it comes to blocking. He won't put him in a position to have to do that, so pointing it out seems moot.
Come on brother. Ppl, including yourself, point out obvious player shortcomings all the time. Why does this particular guy get a pass? I don't even suggest that it is a definite shortcoming. His small stature makes it a valid question, IMO.

Anyway, if any back (any back) is going to see a heavy load he has to be assignment sound including blocking responsibilities. I don't expect him, or most backs for that matter, to take on free rushing DEs. If a safety comes off the edge, though, he needs to pick him up in a lot of situations. Not saying DA can or can't. That remains to be seen. I actually believe he can, as he is an exceptional athlete. If he cannot, however, is does limit his usage. That's fine if he's more of a "gadget" (for lack of a better word) player too, but I think/hope he can be a 30+ snap player. Maybe not immediately, but next year would be awesome.

Come on brother. Ppl, including yourself, point out obvious player shortcomings all the time. Why does this particular guy get a pass? I don't even suggest that it is a definite shortcoming. His small stature makes it a valid question, IMO.

Anyway, if any back (any back) is going to see a heavy load he has to be assignment sound including blocking responsibilities. I don't expect him, or most backs for that matter, to take on free rushing DEs. If a safety comes off the edge, though, he needs to pick him up in a lot of situations. Not saying DA can or can't. That remains to be seen. I actually believe he can, as he is an exceptional athlete. If he cannot, however, is does limit his usage. That's fine if he's more of a "gadget" (for lack of a better word) player too, but I think/hope he can be a 30+ snap player. Maybe not immediately, but next year would be awesome.
I tend to look at what a player’s positive traits are more than their negatives. All players have both. I just think it’s not worth mentioning that Achane isn’t going to be a great blocker. They aren’t going to ask him to do that all that much. It’s like saying Tua can’t throw a deep out with enough arm strength. Yeah, but you are rarely going to have him do that anyway. The coaches know their players weaknesses, or at least they should, so they will avoid putting them in those situations.

I actually hate the Sproles comparison. Sproles was a 5’6 super buff (187 pounds at 5’6, did 23 bench press reps at combine) jitterbug with pretty mediocre speed (4.46). Achane is almost the opposite of that—he’s a very thin sprinter who runs a 4.32 and doesn’t do much juking.

I always say I think Achane has a lot of traits in common with Tyreek, and I do. Same size, similar speed, similar vision, similar contact balance. Tyreek is stronger with more wiggle, and obviously Tyreek transitioned to WR and became a very good route runner. But the commonality of traits are there.

If forced to go with a recent RB, I think CJ Spiller was the most similar to Achane. A little taller, but similar frame, similar speed, and similar contact balance/toughness. Achane has better vision, though, and Spiller had more wiggle.
I think Achane jukes quite a bit, he's just so smooth with with his wiggles, chaining multiple moves together. He's not like some of running backs who do a lot of dancing coming out of college, very little wasted movement and every move is purposeful to get north and south. I think he's gonna have an impact right out the gate because he understands being the best athlete on the field is not enough, you have to be technical and use every tool in your bag. To see someone with his explosiveness not trying to get to the edge every play is very encouraging. I'm beyond excited to see what he does in this offense, and the guy will be like the 4th or 5th option on the team...CRAZY!

How relevant is Tyreek Hill's catch radius?
'reek had Brandon Marshall on his podcast recently and they were jabbing back and forth about who has the best hands. Brandon Marshall said how often do you have one handed catches? Cheetah laughs and says "why I'm so open there's no need to catch one handed? You get no separation so you need that" :lol:

I think Achane jukes quite a bit, he's just so smooth with with his wiggles, chaining multiple moves together. He's not like some of running backs who do a lot of dancing coming out of college, very little wasted movement and every move is purposeful to get north and south. I think he's gonna have an impact right out the gate because he understands being the best athlete on the field is not enough, you have to be technical and use every tool in your bag. To see someone with his explosiveness not trying to get to the edge every play is very encouraging. I'm beyond excited to see what he does in this offense, and the guy will be like the 4th or 5th option on the team...CRAZY!
I agree. There have been some posts suggesting that Achane doesn't juke in the open field or that he's not a smooth athlete. IMO that's way off base.

And the part I highlighted in your post is something that I see as incredibly rare. That's part of what reminded me of Warrick Dunn in college. It's easy and far more common for smaller, faster college players to just get by on their speed. That's very successful in college but not as much in the pros. But the smaller, faster college back who shows great vision and patience is rare. There have been several fast college backs about Achane's size who failed in the pros, but there haven't been many fast college backs about Achane's size with great vision and patience who have shown the ability to carry their college team.

I find that college backs with great vision and patience and at least one other elite trait have a much higher success rate, regardless of size.

Back
Top Bottom