Former #2 Overalls | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Former #2 Overalls

Here is the interesting part. If the general thought is backs are interchangable and thus not worth taking at #2, you would then take the BPA at that point which probably leads you to Edwards or Williams, yet on that list a WR has only been taken #2 overall once. So in my mind the same arguement could be made as to why you would not take a WR at that point.
IMO at #2 you have to have a mix between BPA and need i.e. if the Patriots somehow had this pick they would not take a qb no matter how good he was.
Whne it is all said and done the reason I take Ronnie Brown is for one major reason: his ability to catch the football which in my mind seperates him from all the other backs in this draft and would also make him a huge weapon in Linehan's offenese.

lotion said:
Notice that 3 of the four BUSTS are QBs...

Notice Donovan McNabb. That averages out to about 1 in every 4 being a superstar...not the best odds overall, but much better than the 1 in 12 or so odds for QB's picked after the first round.

BTW, only one WR taken at that spot...interesting.

Did not say backs are interchangeable.... said they are typically not worth the investment.... most wear down by the age of 28... if injury doesn't get them first..... with rules changes that support WR's as THE playmakers in the NFL it makes sense to make the WR that also considered the BPA the guy to pick at the number two spot.... unless Saban and Linehan believe Smith/Rodgers to be the guy, then and only then do you stray from BPA....

so if we use the general formula that has been talked about on this board:

BPA = Smith, Rodgers, Edwards or Williams
RB = not worth the investment
QB= not top need on team

#2 overall = Edwards or Williams

ahh...then the real arguement begins....Edwards or Williams

This is fun boys :cooldude:

No position really holds that well that well for the number 1 or two pick... that's what makes the draft such a crap shoot... no locks.... like Saban said... pick out the Nobel Prize winner out of this graduating class..... statistically if your draft is 52-56% successful in producing productive players you will go to the playoff and win.... under 52% and you will go 9-7.... 50% or less and you'll enjoy a high DP again the next year... with only 5 picks we can only really expect 2.5 productive players and maybe one that could be PB in a couple of years....

McNabb with Boselli a close second(First if he had not been injured, this guy was a beast and the standard for tackles for 5 years)

Becks7 said:
Here is the interesting part. If the general thought is backs are interchangable and thus not worth taking at #2, you would then take the BPA at that point which probably leads you to Edwards or Williams, yet on that list a WR has only been taken #2 overall once. So in my mind the same arguement could be made as to why you would not take a WR at that point.
IMO at #2 you have to have a mix between BPA and need i.e. if the Patriots somehow had this pick they would not take a qb no matter how good he was.
Whne it is all said and done the reason I take Ronnie Brown is for one major reason: his ability to catch the football which in my mind seperates him from all the other backs in this draft and would also make him a huge weapon in Linehan's offenese.

While this is obviously true in the past 20 years, the one time it was done was 2 years ago and I think the trend will continue. The league has enforced the rules about contact with recievers making them more untouchable and thus more valuable. QBs and WRs will be more valuable than ever now IMO.

I'm not sold on the QBs in this draft, and I believe running backs are like dayafter said "comodoties" so why not shift the attention over to possibly the best player/players in the draft...Braylon and Mike Williams.

Linehan likes to stretch the field.... Ferotte can deliver the long ball (if standing).... Chambers (although soft) and Edwards with Booker in the slot would force defenses to play honest and not load the line....

Back
Top Bottom