Former Bill Parcells draftee seeking a spot on the offensive line with Miami Dolphins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Former Bill Parcells draftee seeking a spot on the offensive line with Miami Dolphins

FinAtic8480

Active Roster
Reaction score
DAVIE — Randy Thomas has become almost as famous for his southern-style ribs at his Atlanta-area restaurant, RT's, as he has for mauling defensive tackles for 11 seasons in the NFL.

But Thomas, 34, isn't ready to retire to the kitchen quite yet.

"I didn't want to go into cooking," Thomas, a right guard, said Thursday. "I got tired of cleaning up.

"Landscaping - I can't keep straight lines.

"I don't have the itch for anything but football."

The Dolphins are giving Thomas - who started all 143 games he has played during his career with the New York Jets and Washington Redskins - a chance to keep playing.

After being cut by the Redskins on March 4 after suffering a season-ending triceps injury last September, Thomas received a call from Bill Parcells on Wednesday morning, and was in Miami practicing with his new teammates by 2 p.m.

When Parcells was with the Jets, he drafted Thomas in the second round in 1999. Parcells told Thomas that he has a shot to make the Dolphins' 53-man roster.

Thomas also played for current Dolphins offensive coordinator Dan Henning while with the Jets. Thomas is temporarily replacing Nate Garner, who is out for eight weeks with a broken foot.

"They told me to come in and compete and earn a spot. Nothing is given," Thomas said. "That's probably why I played 11 years. I never thought I had a spot. I always worked to get it."

Thomas said he is rusty and behind his new teammates in terms of learning the playbook, but, "I didn't forget how to hit people."

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports...arcells-draftee-seeking-a-spot-on-869721.html

Thomas said he is rusty and behind his new teammates in terms of learning the playbook, but, "I didn't forget how to hit people."

Love it.

I said this in another thread, but it would be fantastic if RT could provide a "Pennington-like" presence for the rest of the OL. Some of the guys we have are so young, they could gain a lot by watching Thomas go about his business of making the 53.

Thomas was seen yesterday working out by himself after practice and doing 100 yard sprints. Good guy to work and excellent depth.

I'm glad Miami has the two tackle spots taken care of for the next few years, but the revolving door on the interior of the line has got to stop. Randy Thomas was a good signing for Miami and brings a veteran presence and stability to the interior O-line. I agree with the poster who referenced how John Jerry would do well to learn as much as he can from Thomas. Hell, even the other Thomas at OG can learn a lot from Randy. I think IF the interior of the line gets settled, it would go a LONG way to making sure Miami has the most dominant line in football.

We definitely need to have some stability on the interior of the offensive line.

We already have imo. Incognito, Berger, and Jerry have been the starters for awhile, I don't imagine it would change. Though I suppose there's still a chance Grove reclaims his spot as the starting C.

One of the very few hits Parcells had picking players for us. Randy was once a pro bowl caliber guard but he has barely played the last few years so who knows what you will get?

One of the very few hits Parcells had picking players for us. Randy was once a pro bowl caliber guard but he has barely played the last few years so who knows what you will get?

Backup depth in the interior of the line. Nothing more, nothing less.

Back
Top Bottom