Former Cowboys Byron Jones, Dan Bailey named worst starters from 2020 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Former Cowboys Byron Jones, Dan Bailey named worst starters from 2020

Agree

Shutting down receivers is great but INTs are game changers
OR being such a good shut down corner, you are forcing the team to throw to the INT machine. Lets not pretend Howard had a zero passer rating. They work well opposite of each other. Jones blankets his WR so that makes the QB look Howards way. Howard has this great ability to run in stride with the WR, back off half a step so the WR and QB think the WR has his seperation, then when the ball is thrown, Howard starts tracking it. So as the WR is starting to play the ball, Howard knows exactly where it is and turns it on just as the WR lifts a touch. Therefore Howard gets himself in perfect position.

Its MUCH easier when Jones has great coverage on his guy.

The football outsiders explanation within that article on byron jones is spot on for his 2020 play relative to his pay

it also says it expects him to have a better 2021

The football outsiders explanation within that article on byron jones is spot on for his 2020 play relative to his pay

it also says it expects him to have a better 2021
They said he was the worst starter in football, not just relative to pay. That is one of the worst takes I’ve ever heard in my life.

They said he was the worst starter in football, not just relative to pay. That is one of the worst takes I’ve ever heard in my life.

he won’t good I can tell ya that. Outside of relying on Preston williams and not getting the same thing at the top of routes he was the most disappointing player on the team.

I understand that highest paid doesn’t mean best player at your position but you shouldn’t be getting that kind of bang for your buck.

OR being such a good shut down corner, you are forcing the team to throw to the INT machine. Lets not pretend Howard had a zero passer rating. They work well opposite of each other. Jones blankets his WR so that makes the QB look Howards way. Howard has this great ability to run in stride with the WR, back off half a step so the WR and QB think the WR has his seperation, then when the ball is thrown, Howard starts tracking it. So as the WR is starting to play the ball, Howard knows exactly where it is and turns it on just as the WR lifts a touch. Therefore Howard gets himself in perfect position.

Its MUCH easier when Jones has great coverage on his guy.
In fairness, Howard may not have had a "zero" passer rating, but it was awfully low against him, making his INTs all the more impressive. Not to mention his passes defended stats. I mean, it's one thing to get 10 picks if you're giving up 20 TDs and thus your picks are just a byproduct of gambling. Howard, as you correctly analyzed, has simply amazing instincts for when the ball is coming, great ball skills and closing speed. I mean, QBs really see an open receiver and then it looks like Howard is the receiver.

Yes, and it's totally influenced by his salary. For them to say otherwise is asinine.

Name another highest paid at the time guy that played worse his first year with his new team?

that dude was getting stacked by jags. 4th wr types

How does an article like that get taken seriously by anybody?
It's sad really because there are some really good analysts that understand and put the time in to make meaningful observations. I enjoy that stuff and it's credible when it's well researched. It's particularly disappointing when you watch a Dolphin's game and you hear the analyst - who should, you know, be prepared for the team he's covering - say something completely false about the Dolphins like "wow, Miami playing man-to-man defence here, you don't see them do that much...."

he won’t good I can tell ya that. Outside of relying on Preston williams and not getting the same thing at the top of routes he was the most disappointing player on the team.

I understand that highest paid doesn’t mean best player at your position but you shouldn’t be getting that kind of bang for your buck.
The article didn’t say bang for your buck. They said he was the worst starting corner in football. That statement is absurd. We could debate his play last year but the article is indisputably a joke with its conclusion.

The article didn’t say bang for your buck. They said he was the worst starting corner in football. That statement is absurd. We could debate his play last year but the article is indisputably a joke with its conclusion.

id have to look at all the top 2 starting corners for every team in football but I’d say with confidence he was easily in the bottom 3rd

i would agree with you though that they are taking money into account to go worst overall

He played okay for much of the season but he obviously was not the lock down CB the Dolphins expected when they signed him to the huge contract they signed him too last off season. The fact opposing offenses attacked him and not Howard clearly showed who the top CB on the Dolphins was in 2020.

Back
Top Bottom