Former Dolphins QB Chad Pennington provides insight | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Former Dolphins QB Chad Pennington provides insight

juniorseau55

Go Fins
Reaction score

Colin Cowherd is not someone I consider to be a fan of, and the things he said about Tua were empty, and unfounded. He actually didn't seem to know that Chad played with Randy Moss.

This thread is in regards to the insight Chad Pennington has in regards playing QB in this league.
If your video hasn't started at 1:57 then please accelerate. The link I provided should automatically jump you there.

Chad Pennington: "It is not the speed of the game, but the knowledge of the game". Chad Pennington believes that three year window of a QB is very important.

**** him, focus on what chad said and let me know what you think.
Always been a Chad fan so. one thing I noticed about Chad is many times he didn't go through progressions. he must have known where to go
on his pre-snap read

Always been a Chad fan so. one thing I noticed about Chad is many times he didn't go through progressions. he must have known where to go
on his pre-snap read
Most of the good QBs in the NFL learn this. Its why the good D coordinators come up with ways to disguise coverages to confuse the better QBs, but there's a fine line between being able to disguise your coverage successfully and doing so much that it hampers your defenders, so its not always a simple thing.

on his pre-snap read
Pennington had that noodle arm and it was his biggest flaw. Came from some nasty shoulder injuries in his career. He was a very smart player just like Fitzpatrick. They could just anticipate where they were going as they dropped back to throw by defensive alignment. But if he was ever fooled or thrown out of rythymn he couldn't recover.

I would say, it is not the speed of the game it is the knowledge and speed of the brain.

I remember when Shula was asked back when Marino was playing what his best asset was and his reply, “It doesn’t take long for it to go from Marino’s brain to his arm and brain to his feet.”

If a QB cannot process and react quickly, knowledge is not going to help him much.

Pennington had that noodle arm and it was his biggest flaw. Came from some nasty shoulder injuries in his career. He was a very smart player just like Fitzpatrick. They could just anticipate where they were going as they dropped back to throw by defensive alignment. But if he was ever fooled or thrown out of rythymn he couldn't recover.
I think the bigger issue with Pennington is he really couldn't go two seasons in a row without suffering a debilitating injury. He lost a lot after that first shoulder injury too and never gained zip back.

He's still one of my favorite guys I've seen play for the Dolphins. Class act.

Chad had Randy Moss as a receiver in college. Marshall had D1 all over the place. They were a renegade program back then taking everyone's talented problems.

I'm under the impression that from a total leadership perspective, Chad Pennington's 2008 is still one of the top 5 seasons a Miami Dolphins QB has ever had (behind Marino's 84, and either 86 or 94 and Griese's 73)
What about Griese’s ‘77 when he led the NFL in passing? 10-4 and no playoffs. We were better than Denver. Probably make the SB that year. Good list and agree w Marino ‘86 and his 44 TDs on a horrible team that couldn’t stop anyone.

What about Griese’s ‘77 when he led the NFL in passing? 10-4 and no playoffs. We were better than Denver. Probably make the SB that year. Good list and agree w Marino ‘86 and his 44 TDs on a horrible team that couldn’t stop anyone.
I was at the '86 opener in SD when we got thumped 50-28. Marino threw for all four of the TDs. That was the first game I ever saw him play. Wound up seeing him play three times in SD. But yeah, that team couldn't stop anybody! 8-8

I was at the '86 opener in SD when we got thumped 50-28. Marino threw for all four of the TDs. That was the first game I ever saw him play. Wound up seeing him play three times in SD. But yeah, that team couldn't stop anybody! 8-8
At the time he threw 44, it kinda went without much fanfare because of the ‘84 season but in context, at the time, it was still way more than the previous record of 36 (pre Marino). That 3 year stretch from ‘84-‘86 I believe he led the NFL in passing TDs every year. 1985 saw “only” 30 thrown yet it was tops in the league. 30 back then was pretty rare - a few guys did it each year or thereabouts. It was like throwing 40ish now.

At the time he threw 44, it kinda went without much fanfare because of the ‘84 season but in context, at the time, it was still way more than the previous record of 36 (pre Marino). That 3 year stretch from ‘84-‘86 I believe he led the NFL in passing TDs every year. 1985 saw “only” 30 thrown yet it was tops in the league. 30 back then was pretty rare - a few guys did it each year or thereabouts. It was like throwing 40ish now.
'86 was a pretty cool year because I saw him at the end of the year too vs the Rams in Anaheim and he threw 5 TDs. That was the start of four wasted years of prime Dan Marino. Missed the playoffs four years in a row. Hell, I don't have to tell you, lol. He was pretty damn impressive that year!

Back
Top Bottom