Former NFL quarterback on Tua Tagovailoa not knowing playbook: ‘That should never, ever happen’ | Page 26 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Former NFL quarterback on Tua Tagovailoa not knowing playbook: ‘That should never, ever happen’

Perfectly objective from a guy who's name is "Tua Time". lol. Ryan Fitzpatrick was clearly a better QB than Tua last year. Better YPA, better completion %, more TDs, better QB rating, he averaged almost 60 yards more a game than Tua, and had a long of 70 yards compared to Tua's 35 yards. And you know what? That's perfectly ok. Tua was hurt and still learning.

Let's see what he does this year.

Perfectly ok with me too, thats just stats... well see, Tua still has 17 years to play in a playoff game

Perfectly ok with me too, thats just stats... well see, Tua still has 17 years to play in a playoff game
Total straw man argument that has nothing to do with my point. If your benchmark is making the playoffs once in 17 years so he can be justified as better than Fitzpatrick, we are in big trouble.

I’m certainly rooting for Tua to become a Hall of Fame, Super Bowl winning QB. Not to just be favorably compared to a journeyman on his 8th or 9th team that he was outplayed by last year.

Total straw man argument that has nothing to do with my point. If your benchmark is making the playoffs once in 17 years so he can be justified as better than Fitzpatrick, we are in big trouble.

I’m certainly rooting for Tua to become a Hall of Fame, Super Bowl winning QB. Not to just be favorably compared to a journeyman on his 8th or 9th team that he was outplayed by last year.

I do see your point. There will always be different ways to compare QBs, (yds, ints, tds, etc). Look at it in a bigger perspective. Even If you got the fastest car, doesnt mean your gonna win the race. And 16 years under your belt is telling you stats alone will not make you win. Its those crunch times that will matter. But Youre right, last year a journeyman had put up stats over an apprentice.

I do see your point. There will always be different ways to compare QBs, (yds, ints, tds, etc). Look at it in a bigger perspective. Even If you got the fastest car, doesnt mean your gonna win the race. And 16 years under your belt is telling you stats alone will not make you win. Its those crunch times that will matter. But Youre right, last year a journeyman had put up stats over an apprentice.
Should tell us all we need to kno that a perfectly healthy Fitz could not stave off Tua - who was hardly himself

Should tell us all we need to kno that a perfectly healthy Fitz could not stave off Tua - who was hardly himself
It's amazing how some of you guys try to twist everything into something pro-Tua because you are somehow convinced he's beyond questioning or criticism. How about he deserves to be seen as what he is, until he proves better? If it tells you "all you need to know" because a 17 year healthy vet journeyman who was basically nothing but a gimmick on his 8th team was replaced by a #5 overall draft pick who was supposed to be the saviour of our franchise and still performed below expectations, I can't help you.

Tua "beating out" Fitz, if that's even what he did even though he got benched multiple times, means absolutely nothing. It would be a disgrace if he didn't. This wasn't Rodgers sitting behind Favre or even Mahomes sitting behind Alex Smith. Tua needs to earn respect on the field like anyone else. I think he can do it, but I, for one, need to see it first.

You say Tua was "hardly himself"? That's all that Tua is right now. He has not shown anything different in the NFL yet. I certainly hope he does. I'm sorry it hurts so many of you guys' feelings that some Dolphins' fans have the audacity to not believe it until we see it. And I think that same way about any player at any position. It's not unique to Tua.

Idk if Tua was better than Fitzpatrick but it his team show us he is ready . This year. Dolphins knew Fitzpatrick was not coming back this yr..

It's amazing how some of you guys try to twist everything into something pro-Tua because you are somehow convinced he's beyond questioning or criticism. How about he deserves to be seen as what he is, until he proves better? If it tells you "all you need to know" because a 17 year healthy vet journeyman who was basically nothing but a gimmick on his 8th team was replaced by a #5 overall draft pick who was supposed to be the saviour of our franchise and still performed below expectations, I can't help you.

Tua "beating out" Fitz, if that's even what he did even though he got benched multiple times, means absolutely nothing. It would be a disgrace if he didn't. This wasn't Rodgers sitting behind Favre or even Mahomes sitting behind Alex Smith. Tua needs to earn respect on the field like anyone else. I think he can do it, but I, for one, need to see it first.

You say Tua was "hardly himself"? That's all that Tua is right now. He has not shown anything different in the NFL yet. I certainly hope he does. I'm sorry it hurts so many of you guys' feelings that some Dolphins' fans have the audacity to not believe it until we see it. And I think that same way about any player at any position. It's not unique to Tua.
I'll bite.

Performed below expectations? Whose expectations were those?

I'll bite.

Performed below expectations? Whose expectations were those?
Really? That's what you pulled out of that entire post? Typical. Am I supposed to have exact names for you of people who were disappointed in Tua's first 9 games? I forgot that anyone that has concerns about Tua is either a hater or a professional hack, of which there are apparently many, LOL. You're right, he performed great. Got benched a few times. Threw for under 100 yards a few times. Looked super comfortable and consistent. The Tua apologists are unreal.

Please try to understand the distinction between rooting for him and having an objective opinion of what he has shown so far. I'm not a hater. Peyton Manning stunk in his first year too. And all this talk about how better players surrounding him should elevate Tua. That literally applies to any QB ever. Shouldn't we be more concerned about how Tua will elevate other players? That's what franchise QB's and elite players in any sport in general do.

Last edited:
Perfectly objective from a guy who's name is "Tua Time". lol. Ryan Fitzpatrick was clearly a better QB than Tua last year. Better YPA, better completion %, more TDs, better QB rating, he averaged almost 60 yards more a game than Tua, and had a long of 70 yards compared to Tua's 35 yards. And you know what? That's perfectly ok. Tua was hurt and still learning.

Let's see what he does this year.
You're right, Fitz had better QB stats than Tua in almost all categories... And I get that people dont want to give Tua credit for his winning record and I understand that 100%. There are 2 things where Tua was very good in his rookie season: INT% and L%... And they're both related as they're the reason the team pulled Fitz for him.

The Fins simply didnt have the offense to try and outscore teams last year, they had to rely on their D to make plays and the offense to just bank on those, AND not **** up in the meantime. In other words, the Fins dont win 10 games this year if the offense is throwing an INT every 33 pass attempts. Which is the rate Fitz was throwing INTs vs the weak part of the schedule. 3-3. Tua comes in and cuts the INT rate in half and what do you know... 6-3.

Fitz had better stats, the offense moved better and he had a beard... But truth is, all the Fins needed this season was the offense to not **** up too often which is the ONE thing you simply cant ask Fitz. They didnt put Tua in to score more, they put him in to **** up less. Im not sure thats the right way to bring a rookie QB along, but he certainly didnt fail at what they asked of him specifically.

Last edited:
You're right, Fitz had better QB stats than Tua in almost all categories... And I get that people dont want to give Tua credit for his winning record and I understand that 100%. There are 2 things where Tua was very good in his rookie season: INT% and L%... And they're both related as they're the reason the team pulled Fitz for him.

The Fins simply didnt have the offense to try and outscore teams last year, they had to rely on their D to make plays and the offense to just bank on those, AND not **** up in the meantime. In other words, the Fins dont win 10 games this year if the offense is throwing an INT every 33 pass attempts. Which is the rate Fitz was throwing INTs vs the weak part of the schedule. 3-3. Tua comes in and cuts the INT rate in half and what do you know... 6-3.

Fitz had better stats, the offense moved better and he had a beard... But truth is, all the Fins needed this season was the offense to not **** up too often which is the ONE thing you simply cant ask Fitz. They didnt put Tua in to score more, they put him in to **** up less. Im not sure thats the right way to bring a rookie QB along, but he certainly didnt fail at what they asked of him specifically.
You can give Tua whatever credit you want. Continue to Make the claim that he was marginally better than a player who has been on 8 teams in 17 years and is inconsistent and pretty much sucks but is likeable. If that’s what you want to hang your hat on in year one for Tua, so be it.

Really? That's what you pulled out of that entire post? Typical. Am I supposed to have exact names for you of people who were disappointed in Tua's first 9 games? I forgot that anyone that has concerns about Tua is either a hater or a professional hack, of which there are apparently many, LOL. You're right, he performed great. Got benched a few times. Threw for under 100 yards a few times. Looked super comfortable and consistent. The Tua apologists are unreal.

Please try to understand the distinction between rooting for him and having an objective opinion of what he has shown so far. I'm not a hater. Peyton Manning stunk in his first year too. And all this talk about how better players surrounding him should elevate Tua. That literally applies to any QB ever. Shouldn't we be more concerned about how Tua will elevate other players? That's what franchise QB's and elite players in any sport in general do.
An awful lot of rambling going on here, but you didn't answer the question.

What were your expectations for Tua coming into the season as a rookie coming off a major injury with no offseason?

Quantify it.

An awful lot of rambling going on here, but you didn't answer the question.

What were your expectations for Tua coming into the season as a rookie coming off a major injury with no offseason?

Quantify it.
I didn’t really have any expectations. It had been so long since we took a QB that high I had no idea what to expect. I saw great play against Arizona that excited me and I saw bad play Afterwards

Don't tell me Cam Newton didn't have full grasp of the Patriots offense last year when he was the starter from day one.

Say it isn't so!

Cam is a washed running QB who is hurt more than Mary J. Blige...

I prefer the Brady comparisons. At least I know people are delusional when they do that.

Back
Top Bottom