Former QB seems committed to Jets OC | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Former QB seems committed to Jets OC

MexDolfan

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
After Tony Sparano was hired as new OC, it was easy to figure some former Dolphins could be helpful for him in the same way several ex-Cowboys filled Dolphins' roster during his tenure.

But one thing I never assumed was that former starting QB of Miami could become key tools for NY Jets.

I'm not talking about Chad Henne who will be a target for them once free agency starts this month. No, I'm talking about Chad Pennington who's debating about retainment, but these days is serving as tutor for incumbent starter Mark Sanchez.

As reported by Rich Cimini of ESPN, Pennington brought an old Dolphins' playbook and began teaching the system to Sanchez. It looks a little bit illegal, as coaches can't contact players until April, so they're twisting things outsourcing Chad as an informal QB coach.

After Tony Sparano was hired as new OC, it was easy to figure some former Dolphins could be helpful for him in the same way several ex-Cowboys filled Dolphins' roster during his tenure.

But one thing I never assumed was that former starting QB of Miami could become key tools for NY Jets.

I'm not talking about Chad Henne who will be a target for them once free agency starts this month. No, I'm talking about Chad Pennington who's debating about retainment, but these days is serving as tutor for incumbent starter Mark Sanchez.

As reported by Rich Cimini of ESPN, Pennington brought an old Dolphins' playbook and began teaching the system to Sanchez. It looks a little bit illegal, as coaches can't contact players until April, so they're twisting things outsourcing Chad as an informal QB coach.

Well its not like Pennington had any more loyalty to us than the jets and he did work with Sparano. Pennington is not a coach yet so its not illegal, hell we broke plenty of that rule last year so lets not act like any team is really following this rule. Its smart for Sanchez to learn whatever offense it is that Sparano will run although its no better offense than the one the jets have ran so I dont really care. They downgraded OC so its a plus for us

Sight unseen, between Philbin and Sherman, we will have revised and upgraded our offense when all is said and done. Pennington was an overrated hired gun who gave us a feel good minute until the Ravens (twice) revealed what 75% of every top scoring D he's ever faced knew. I don't think it's required he has any loyalty to us and is obviously pandering to the jest to replace Cavanaugh as Taco's QB coach. Appreciated what he did but his start of the 09 season revealed him for what he was, a weak-armed dink and dunker with a head on his shoulders. If he wants to help confuse Sanchez and aid The Meatball in ****ing up what residue of a dynamic offense is left in the Meadowland, I say "go for it."

Who cares. Sanchez and Sparano are just terrible at what they do. They could work 24/7 until opening day and it wouldn't matter. In Sparano's case, working hard never overcomes being a dumb guy. In Sanchez's case, he is what he is. A bad quarterback.

I would love Henne joining that dimwit Sparano. Henne and Sanchez is a 6 or half a dozen of the other. It's a lose-lose for the Jets, and win-win for Miami.

The more Sparano puts his imprint on the Jets, the better off Miami will be.

Not to worry though, Tony has a back-up plan when he is fired from the Jets....

m3eXIR82QbbuTt640m-1.jpg

One of my draft day nightmare situations is the Jets waking up and drafting Weeden or Tannehill.

I really like their odds with the meatball and the taco.

One of my draft day nightmare situations is the Jets waking up and drafting Weeden or Tannehill.

I really like their odds with the meatball and the taco.

Hell I hope the jets draft Weeden quite high , let them waste a draft pick on a 29 year old qb. Weeden would be a quite a stupid high draft pick esp when he wont beat out Sanchez year one so then he is already 30.

the jets would be better off starting penny than wasting their time w/ a guy who will be a career back up after next season.
penny better have the wildcat in that dilapidated playbook.

lmao is it really that freekin bad in NY .whats next they want Henne as their starting QB a few more cast offs.WOW how the tables have turned

Hell I hope the jets draft Weeden quite high , let them waste a draft pick on a 29 year old qb. Weeden would be a quite a stupid high draft pick esp when he wont beat out Sanchez year one so then he is already 30.

Have you ever heard of ROGER STAUBACH? He didn't start immediately, either.

Have you ever heard of ROGER STAUBACH? He didn't start immediately, either.

Roger Staubauch also was drafted in 10th round because he would lose years to being in navy. Im all for Weeden with a 4th rounder or above and if he is the next Staubach then hooray. Staubauch was also the best qb in college while Weeden at best is the third best with both Luck and griffin being better than him. To compare Weeden to a college football hall of famer is not even a good comparism. Staubach started his NFL career at 27 which is still 2 years before Weeden will and like I said the team only had to invest a low draft pick to secure his services , there was basically no risk taking Weeden high is a huge risk and he basically has no development time to become a starter so he is either good right a way or he retires in a few years. Odds are at best he has 6 years of football in him before he starts serious decline because of age. There is no statistical evidence to show that players that play later in their career last any longer or fight off age any better than ones who dont.

Wouldn't you love Tony too if he let you "Start" and get that huge couple of million dollars bonus...

All for 2 plays...

Roger Staubauch also was drafted in 10th round because he would lose years to being in navy. Im all for Weeden with a 4th rounder or above and if he is the next Staubach then hooray. Staubauch was also the best qb in college while Weeden at best is the third best with both Luck and griffin being better than him. To compare Weeden to a college football hall of famer is not even a good comparism. Staubach started his NFL career at 27 which is still 2 years before Weeden will and like I said the team only had to invest a low draft pick to secure his services , there was basically no risk taking Weeden high is a huge risk and he basically has no development time to become a starter so he is either good right a way or he retires in a few years. Odds are at best he has 6 years of football in him before he starts serious decline because of age. There is no statistical evidence to show that players that play later in their career last any longer or fight off age any better than ones who dont.

The counterpoint to that is that if Weeden were to win the starting job, like Flacco, Sanchez, Ryan, etc did, he'd be about the same age as, if not younger than Kurt Warner and Jake DelHomme were when they earned their starting jobs. If memory serves me correctly it wasn't too long after, was it, when both of them took their teams to the SB? Now Weeden is certainly higher regarded than were Warner or DelHomme coming out of college. Now you can say Warner had prior experience in the adult equivalent of a peewee league, etc, but if he was good, he wouldn't have needed to, nor ended up stocking grocery shelves in Iowa.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom