Foundational Players | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Foundational Players

claytonduper

Starter
Reaction score
With a quarter of the season behind and continued roster churning, I am curious to see who might be our foundational players for the next 1-3 years (please add to the list):
  1. Rosen (starter or backup)
  2. Baker
  3. Howard
  4. Wilkins
  5. McMillan
  6. Godchaux
  7. Charlton & Nkemdiche
  8. Dieter
  9. Prince
  10. Boehm
  11. Parker??? (we do need some receivers)
  12. Grant (with his new contract??)
  13. Giesecki/Symthe
  14. Jessie Davis?
  15. Preston Williams
Who else?

it's hard to predict the olinemen as I'll wait to see how and if they progress. We have to find a bunch of maulers who can gel and have success. I am sick and tired of the 1 second flood gates opening on the 3rd and pass down. We will never have success without an above average line who can block a blitz with regular success.

I don t see anyone on this roster who could be considered a foundational player except Howard and maybe Wilkins, although he hasn t shown anything special until now. We do have a few decent to good players like Godchaux, Baker, McMillan, Davis. In the future maybe guys like Dieter, Williams, Charlton, Broehm. Other than that nobody really worth mentioning imo.

No one currently on the roster aside from maybe Howard because of his contract is a locked in foundational player for life after tank job.

With a quarter of the season behind and continued roster churning, I am curious to see who might be our foundational players for the next 1-3 years (please add to the list):
  2. Baker
  3. Howard
  4. Wilkins
  5. McMillan
  6. Godchaux
  7. Charlton & Nkemdiche
  8. Dieter
  9. Prince
  10. Boehm
  13. Giesecki/Symthe
  14. Jessie Davis?
  15. Preston Williams
Who else?
After his contract is up, I'd remove both TEs. And I hated the Grant extension. Also not sure about Nkemdiche.

Two of the three I thought would be foundational players are gone.(Tunsil, Fitzpatrick)
So, Howard yes.
All of the rest have time to prove themselves still. It's way too early to decide now. Way too early.

Would throw McCain in as an outside chance for 2 reasons,
1 His contract, how is easy and what is the cost of cutting him? Can't remember the details.
2 Put him back as a slot corner where he was half useful.

In saying that can still see us drafting half a dozen secondary players being a mix of S's and CB's.

I don t see anyone on this roster who could be considered a foundational player except Howard and maybe Wilkins, although he hasn t shown anything special until now. We do have a few decent to good players like Godchaux, Baker, McMillan, Davis. In the future maybe guys like Dieter, Williams, Charlton, Broehm. Other than that nobody really worth mentioning imo.

Wilkins has consistently graded out as one of the better 1st round picks through 4 games. He is a 3-4 defensive end. It was never going to be a splash pick. It was a very safe pick and as he continues to adjust to the NFL he will become an important part of our front 7.

It tells you how sad things are when we’re considering an offensive lineman acquired for a late round pick who has made one start “foundational”.

I guess my thoughts of foundational players as not necessarily those 4 positions (QB, CB, LT or DE) but those that blue chip players that we keep and built our next drafts and free agents around and/or with.

2. Baker
  3. Howard
  4. Wilkins
  5. McMillan
  6. Godchaux
  7. Charlton & Nkemdiche
  8. Dieter
  9. Prince
  10. Boehm
  13. Giesecki/Symthe
  14. Jessie Davis?
  15. Preston Williams
Who else?

Define "foundational"

I think the foundation needs to be laid still. We have plans but no cement to build on.

On Offence
QB - TBD - Rosen hasn't PROVED himself worth of that (YET) IMO he has the potential to do so. (Good year to not be sure with the likes of Tua et al. comming out)
T/C - TBD we need that dominant tackle and a leader at C
WR - TBD We currently have pieces but no real alpha.

On Defence
DE - TBD - Have no one on the roster at this time that can be considered a foundation to build on. NONE!
CB - Howard - We really need to compliment him with someone on the other side that can resemble a football player.
LB - TBD - We have what can become a great LB in Baker but he just as easily could become just a rotational player.

Find blue chips at those positions and we are 6 steps closer to a ring... IMHO

Back
Top Bottom