Four potential veteran cuts for the Dolphins this summer | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Four potential veteran cuts for the Dolphins this summer

With Harris, it may come down to the roster spot, moreso than the $. There are only so many spots per position available.

Wilson is a tough call. He isn't really a starting caliber wideout. I like his versatility, and he can do some damage from the slot.

Agree. Keeping Harris into camp allows them to look for someone better. If they find no one, he's still in-house. I hope they find someone

Harris opened training camp as the most heralded guy in that position group based on draft position. He ended the year as a healthy scratch behind undrafted schlubs we picked off other teams' practice squads. There's nothing there with him.

Harris opened training camp as the most heralded guy in that position group based on draft position. He ended the year as a healthy scratch behind undrafted schlubs we picked off other teams' practice squads. There's nothing there with him.
"Heralded" by who? Not anyone who had been paying attention for the past couple of years.

I'm sure many hoped he cound turn it around, but did anyone really beleive he would?

One of his biggest knocks in that draft was his lack of desire to tackle. I haven't seen anything to indicate that was wrong.

I'm pulling for him, but, imo he's a boundary corner or nothing at all.
Tank? Yeah agree.

And those scrubs got some sacks here and there which made us realize just HOW bad Harris is. As if we needed more ammo.

Oops.

Let me try again

Grier; " Hey, Flo, I just signed McCain to a big extension."
Gase; "W_H_A_A_T??? He's AWFUL.

I think what you are missing is that McCain has not shown to be worth that extension. Not even close. And for that reason it is baffling why he has yet to be cut. He is easily the worst veteran on the team and has a huge contract to come along with it.

I think what you are missing is that McCain has not shown to be worth that extension. Not even close. And for that reason it is baffling why he has yet to be cut. He is easily the worst veteran on the team and has a huge contract to come along with it.

Not missing that at all. I'm not a fan of Bobbie. He was an above average slot corner once. I've said elsewhere, all things being equal, he'd be my 1st cut.

You're initial comment was "I am convinced Harris is still on this squad only because Chris Grier doesn't want to look incompetent."
My point is, Grier didn't decide to keep Harris or extend BMcCain or anyone else. The HC decides he likes the guy well enough to keep him and the FO does what it can to keep him. That said, Harris looks like an easy cut. Flo makes that decision

He ended the year early, injured, and had shoulder surgery. Currently, he has over 3mil of guarantees this year in case of injury.

If he can't pass a physical now, then the team is on the hook for the 3mil and the prorated bonuses from the signing bonus if they wanted him off asap. *EDIT

If he goes to camp healthy, passes a physical, then the 3mil won't be guaranteed as long as he is healthy at time of cut. Then it'll be a savings of ~5.5 mil of cap space if cut after June 1st with 1.4mil dead cap next year if I calculated in my head right.

*Spotrac and OverTheCap have two "opinions" on the 3mil of guarantees for 2020. OTC says it's guaranteed in case of injury and Spotrac says the 3mil became fully guaranteed last year...

I trust OTC more, but if that 3mil is guaranteed, there's only savings of ~1mil if cut now. Not really worth it IMO. Bring him back to camp and see what he has first.

There is one veteran who may be cut that this article does not mention.

Fitzpatrick.

If either Rosen or our new rookie is lights-out during camp, we could thank him and show him the door.

I'd say that the chances of this are slight, but it very well could happen. He's a good guy, but we aren't married to him.

Back
Top Bottom