Free agency: Day 1 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Free agency: Day 1

The Bopkin

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Hey all, ...
there has been an unbelievable amount of draft talk since September(and rightfully so), but there has not been too terribly much FA chatter related to our team.
We have a mountain of cap space, and obviously our FA signings will affect who we draft and when.
Grier has said he is not going to sit on the money. So, who do you think will be the top 2 or three targets, and will we go after anyone on Day 1? FA is only a month or so away, - I don't think we will see big splash signings, ...maybe 1. But based on team, scheme fit, who are a couple of guys you could see fitting into the team's plan, and if you are a cap person and feel like spouting numbers, what do you project a contract for those players to be? I am ready for the draft, but honestly I know little about the pending FA class and would love to hear people's thoughts.
Have a great one,
B

Maybe the first year I can remember that free agency is more interesting than the draft for me.

Hard to tell who they're going after in free agency. You would think OL and pass rushers are a priority but you just never know. I don't expect a lot of big free agents tho. Maybe one or two of the top guys at the most and then 2nd tier guys. There will be way more talk about free agency as we get closer to it. At this point we don't even know who's going to hit the market and who's going back to their teams now.

My top two targets are thuney and judon.

Honestly, I'm waiting to see who actually gets to free agency. Right now there are exciting options, but a lot of those could end up signing with their current teams.

Saying that, I hope Miami signs at least one starting caliber offensive lineman. The draft is iffy at pass rusher so that's also where I'd spend big if necessary.

If I had to guess what happens then I'd say RB Melvin Gordon and EDGE Kyle Van Noy headline the transactions.

I don't have a great sense about Thuney yet as I'm sure they'd make that phone call but he's going to have other bidders and the Dolphins may not be inclined to chase a guard into the $15 million per year range.

Would keep an eye on the Devin McCourty situation. He could have suitors among teams that want to win a championship right now. But the market has a way of drying up on safeties, too. I remember that happening to Brock Marion maybe a few times. It still happens today. Anyway there's a really, really strong relationship between Brian Flores and Devin McCourty and if the latter is just sitting out there twisting in the wind, I suspect Flores would make that call regardless of age. He'd ask McCourty to help install the culture/system.

Also suspect you see some interest in a former Jet offensive lineman like Brandon Shell, Dakota Dozier, or perhaps Brent Qvale, guys coached by Steve Marshall under Chan Gailey back in 2016-2017.

Shell in particular is 28 years old and played really well the last few games of 2016 at Right Tackle for Steve Marshall and Chan Gailey, as a rookie. He went on to play Right Tackle all the following year under Marshall, although Gailey had retired. He was a bit up-and-down, had a dreadful performance against Cam Wake that year (it happens, Cam is a HOF caliber player).

The Jets switched to a Shanahan/Denver style OL/Run Coordinator in 2018 and Shell was not the same player in that system. But he still was never bad in pass pro until he met Adam Gase in 2019. By the numbers he was Top 20 in pass pro back in 2018, Top 25 in 2017, and if he had enough snaps to qualify in 2016 as a rookie then his 0 pressures allowed on 109 pass block snaps would've been the best in the league.

If I had to guess what happens then I'd say RB Melvin Gordon and EDGE Kyle Van Noy headline the transactions.

I don't have a great sense about Thuney yet as I'm sure they'd make that phone call but he's going to have other bidders and the Dolphins may not be inclined to chase a guard into the $15 million per year range.

Would keep an eye on the Devin McCourty situation. He could have suitors among teams that want to win a championship right now. But the market has a way of drying up on safeties, too. I remember that happening to Brock Marion maybe a few times. It still happens today. Anyway there's a really, really strong relationship between Brian Flores and Devin McCourty and if the latter is just sitting out there twisting in the wind, I suspect Flores would make that call regardless of age. He'd ask McCourty to help install the culture/system.

Also suspect you see some interest in a former Jet offensive lineman like Brandon Shell, Dakota Dozier, or perhaps Brent Qvale, guys coached by Steve Marshall under Chan Gailey back in 2016-2017.

Shell in particular is 28 years old and played really well the last few games of 2016 at Right Tackle for Steve Marshall and Chan Gailey, as a rookie. He went on to play Right Tackle all the following year under Marshall, although Gailey had retired. He was a bit up-and-down, had a dreadful performance against Cam Wake that year (it happens, Cam is a HOF caliber player).

The Jets switched to a Shanahan/Denver style OL/Run Coordinator in 2018 and Shell was not the same player in that system. But he still was never bad in pass pro until he met Adam Gase in 2019. By the numbers he was Top 20 in pass pro back in 2018, Top 25 in 2017, and if he had enough snaps to qualify in 2016 as a rookie then his 0 pressures allowed on 109 pass block snaps would've been the best in the league.
Thanks for the insite CK, as usual.

Give me Thuney, Van Noy and Gordon and I'll be happy as a pig in **** ...getting Gordon would open the draft up so much

Also keep an eye on D.J. Reader from the Texans who could slide right in our DL from the same system and immediately be the run plugging NT type, which could really beef up the unit.

Then there's Tre Boston. When I said that sometimes the market leaves safeties twisting in the wind, he's the main guy I was thinking of from last year. Seemed like he was available relatively cheap and for a while. But he's a good Free Safety, immediate plugin, and would allow Miami to get Bobby McCain back to slot where he should be. He's still quite young.

D.J. Humphries is one to keep an eye on at OT because he has experience on both sides, is still young, and the versatility gives you the ability to let the draft fall to you at #18 and #26 overall. If a right tackle like Tristan Wirfs or Jedrick Wills is the best available, bam you got it. But if it's a left tackle like Josh Jones? That's where the versatility comes into play.

Justin Simmons..Joe Schobert..Graham Glasgow..Brandon Sherreff..Jack Conklin...Dawaune Smoot..Dakota Dozier...

bigger contracts and smaller ones..

I want two OL starters brought in at not market busting prices.

After that maybe some secondary help.

Pass rusher would be nice but the pickings will likely be pretty slim there.

If they can sign two good OL guys then they can really hammer the Defense in the Draft.

I would still want 1 OL player taken pretty early and QB obviously.

Back
Top Bottom