Free Agency: Fool's Gold | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Free Agency: Fool's Gold

tonto_phin said:
Just look at the Washington Redskins, Pittsburg Steelers and the New England Patriots for the lessons

with all the cap room teams are going to have next year, the smart money is going to go after the lesser knowns and not overpay

remember Damien Woody?, we dodged a bullet there. there will be quite a few Woody's out there

we need to find Andre Goodman's equivalent at say G and LB

perhaps we could snag a RFA too, one who is tendered too low and upgrades us somewhere

made me cry

tonto_phin said:
Just look at the Washington Redskins, Pittsburg Steelers and the New England Patriots for the lessons

with all the cap room teams are going to have next year, the smart money is going to go after the lesser knowns and not overpay

remember Damien Woody?, we dodged a bullet there. there will be quite a few Woody's out there

perhaps we could snag a RFA too, one who is tendered too low and upgrades us somewhere

Andre Goodman?? You mean the Andre Goodman who was torched for 2 touchdown passes vs. Buffalo and was beaten on other passes as well. Yeah that will get you a 6-8 record. I think I'll pass on the Andre Goodmans of the NFL.

tonto_phin said:
nobody overpaid for Brees because he was injured, if he hadn't been injured he would have never been an FA

I'm not so sure about that. I remember reading about some big controversies between Brees and the SD front office after they drafted Rivers. IMO Brees was feeling like they were all ready planning his replacement as the starter and wasn't feeling confident about his job.

I have a feeling that even if Brees had not been hurt he still would have been looking for a new home. As if to say "Now you can start your new golden boy and I'll win my SB somewhere else".

Of course we'll never know now.

i dont think we should overspend for FA but i deffinantly think that you can get some really good starting players for your team if you shop around, not to mention you know what most of them are capable of in the NFL unlike in the draft where it potentially is pot luck at who will be good and bad in the big time.

Agree give Saban one more year and if he doesn't make the right personnel moves he should let Mueller take over and actually perform his GM duties. And yes I am a Saban supporter & fan.

BgBruthaJuvi said:
It won't take 5-6 years if you know what you're doing. I feel Saban is the man for the coaching job but his GM skills are lacking. Sean Payton brought in 27, or was it 37, new players, had a great draft and suddenly the worst team in the NFL is now looking at a first round bye in one season. Not something you would expect, but Saban doesn't have 5-6 years. I'd give him another year or two before I ask him to hand back the GM duties.
Paytin has done a masterful job in NO but I don't think it is a fair comparison. The Saints actually had quite a bit of talent and cap space on their team when Payton took the job ( more so than when Saban inherited the Dolphins). They also had Reggie Bush land in their laps. R Brown is a very good football player, and was definitely the right choice for that year, but R Bush is something special.
The most important difference, however, is that the Saints play in a weak division, and a very weak conference. I would argue that 8 of the top ten teams in the NFL are in the AFC, and that the AFC East is one of the top three divisions in the league.
I think we need to have a little patience with Saban. I remember last year, a lot of people were criticising Saban's draft but many of these players have developped into solid pros.

tonto_phin said:

We had Andre Goodman's equivalent at G- his name was Taylor Whitley.

There's nothing wrong with signing big name free agents if you get them at the right time in their careers. Briggs, Steinbach and Gonzalez would upgrade this team big time.

Miami's OL isn't mediocre- the quality of thought in this forum is.

PHANTASTIC 13 said:
I think you can still sign a player who can make a big impact in FA, remember when the Dolphins signed Keith Jackson? He played great for us and I think Tony Gonzalez would make a huge difference in the red zone. Deon Sanders helped the 49ers and Cowboys win some championships, Wilbur Marshall with the Redskins, Charles Haley with the Cowboys. To say you can only find reserve players and role players is a ridiculous statement to make.

J.J. traded for Charles Haley.

phinphanforever said:
Paytin has done a masterful job in NO but I don't think it is a fair comparison. The Saints actually had quite a bit of talent and cap space on their team when Payton took the job ( more so than when Saban inherited the Dolphins). They also had Reggie Bush land in their laps. R Brown is a very good football player, and was definitely the right choice for that year, but R Bush is something special.

Exactly how hard is it to realize that the core of players has been there for NO. As I recall the past couple of seasons they have been expected to make noise but always collapsed. No way in hell did they turn on a dime as has been implied.

N.O. also got lucky with the absolute find of the draft in WR Marques Colston. They also made a good move in trading for C Jeff Faine. And as for Drew Brees, he was on pace to pass for 5,000 yards and is probably going to be the NFL MVP. We could've have had our next legitimate replacement for Dan Marino and he wouldn't have costed us a 2nd round pick. A pick we could have used to draft a very solid player, instead of a QB who may never be 100% again. But with our OC Brees most likely would not be having the season he is right now if he were with the Dolphins and their short passing attack.

Catchy title! And so appropriate, FA is fools gold, Welker is a FA do you think we are going to let him go? Hell no :lol: The same can be said for every other player going into FA it looks good in the beginning but as soon as the respective teams resign their Welkers then what do you have left? A bunch of players that other teams didn't think were worth the money.

Occasionally you might get the player that a team just couldn't afford to keep but if a player is really that much of a difference maker these teams would find a way to keep them.

FA is a trap, it's a way to put your team in cap hell and ensure a mediocre future. It's like giving your wife a credit card and sending her to the mall!

most teams are under the cap this year I think there will be very few free agents this year. there is probably 15 teams that have at least 20mil in cap space.

tonto_phin said:

Agree with you 100%

Back
Top Bottom